AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having some recording problems lately when I try to record shows from the local FOX station to the hard drive on my 3576. Instead of recording the program as usual, all I end up with is a grey-on-black flickering with no audio (almost looks like a shutter opening and closing).

The tuner has also been receiving this channel in black-and-white intermittently.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbiedow /forum/post/18174754

I've been having some recording problems lately when I try to record shows from the local FOX station to the hard drive on my 3576. Instead of recording the program as usual, all I end up with is a grey-on-black flickering with no audio (almost looks like a shutter opening and closing).

The tuner has also been receiving this channel in black-and-white intermittently.

Sounds like a problem with a component cable set or an incorrect connection. My component cables (red, blue, green) are so heavy and stiff that it takes some effort to keep them fully seated. If they're not fully seated or they're fitted to the wrong jack the loss of color is the first clue to the problem. Video and audio problems occur if the component video red is crossed with the audio red. Perhaps someone has been messing with your cables.

Here's another thought. In my home office one of my switch boxes is an older Pelican System Selector PL-970. It worked fine for the first year or so but then developed problems similar to those you describe in one of the four positions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I checked the connections and I think it's an antenna problem, since the problem only occurs on the one channel and wiggling the antenna cable can toggle the color on/off.

What is the image I see on the failed recording (the black and white flicker)? Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbiedow /forum/post/18202449

Thanks for the reply. I checked the connections and I think it's an antenna problem, since the problem only occurs on the one channel and wiggling the antenna cable can toggle the color on/off.

What is the image I see on the failed recording (the black and white flicker)? Any ideas?

I have cable. Some weeks back I suspected that I had a failing DTA (an entry-level converter box). I had planned to call the cable company for advice or reactivation when I brushed up against the coax cable and the problem immediately cleared up. I swapped in a known good coax cable and there have been no more problems with that DTA.

This is just a guess but the black and white flicker might be the 3576 model's way of playing back a recording that has no video image. Years ago I transferred LP albums to videotape with a HIFI VCR. The first few of these LP transfers were recorded directly to videotape without any video image. Some VCRs could not play back those audio-only videotapes. Some VCRs could play back those audio-only videotapes but displayed a black and white flicker and a "pop" noise was heard when the flicker occured. I resolved these problems by connecting an unrelated video-only feed that was recorded with the LP audio feed. There were no more playback complications after that. (I remember one amusing combination of unrelated audio and video with the 1928 recording of Helen Kane singing "I Wanna To Be Loved By You" combined with the image from a circa 1989 Heart music video from VH1.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts