AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found out that they have these two LCD tvs for about the same price. Which one do you think is better? I've gotten the go ahead from the wife to buy it this weekend.

The only differences I have seen so far from product documentation are that the Sharp has RS-232C connection to control from PC. Nice feature since for either one of the LCDs I get, a PC will be connected to it.

The Sharp seems to be lighter weight and even though it has 1 DVI-I and 1 HDMI inputs, the Philips has 2 HDMI inputs (I could use a DVI to HDMI connector and it would be the same).

But how about sharpness, color depth and such. Do you guys have any other opinions on the sets? I don't know why I seem to lean towards the Philips, but everyone I hear says that Sharp is the best for LCDs...

I appreciate all the input!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Also that sharp does not have a digital tuner.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's weird how the advertisement shows that the Sharp does have an ATSC tuner, but it's not cable card ready.

Thanks for the info, guys... this is helping me re-assure my decision :D

I read your review on the 32"... I'll take that the 32 and 37 are the same since they are both pf7320a/37?

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
It has the ATSC HD Tuner but does not have cablecard. All TV's 36" and above manufactured after July 2005 MUST have digital tuner. It meets the spec to the letter.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hhhmmm... so the sharp seems like it might not be a bad decision especially if the price is the same. I don't have a need for the cable card ready since I don't have cable. I'll be just using OTA.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Appended: Guys, this is soooo unbelievably true! You need to go to the store and see them side by side. I just went to Circuit City and they had them set up next to each other. I was able to actually compare an LG, Philips and Sharp. They all looked pretty good.

The sharp seems pretty sharp on the images, but I don't know how much they had tuned the picture on them because it seemed a little bit artificial... meaning it didn't have the vibrant colors that the philips had. This 37" is nice in terms of the physical layout. It's thin (nothing on top or bottom of the screen) and it just has the speakers on the sides. This system is 10lbs lighter than the philips. Ghosting didn't seem to be a problem on this system.

The philips was so bright and the colors so vibrant! At some points it seemed almost exhagerated, but that's what made it stand out next to the sharp. This system seems a little bulkier than the sharp, but it really captivated me with it's images. No ghosting either from what they were showing on Discovery Channel. Even the blacks looked pretty black.

So, this comes from just my opinion on what I saw. Like I said... I don't know how much fine tuning they did to these systems, but from what I saw, I'm leaning towards the Philips.

Anyone else want to add their 2 cents?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.