AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a first time Plasma TV buyer looking to make my first purchase. Main use is for a home TV to watch broadcast television and watch DVD's

I'm in Hong Kong and over here the Philips 42FD9954 is very popular, mainly because it is sold locally with a TV tuner and speakers and is an easy to use CRT replacement. The sales people here say it is the model to buy as it supports 1024 x 1024 pixels and is easy to use. (price is around US$ 6200)

I've tried to research the Philips 42FD9954 and I'm hearing negative things. I'm hearing that the display is poor and it is inferior to a Pioneer or Panny. I'm also considering the Panasonic TH-42PW5 which only supports 852 x 480 pixels and is selling for approximately the same price as the Philips. There is also the Panasonic TH-42PHW5 which supports 1024 x 768 pixels but costs around US$9000 and is more than I want to spend.

So basically I'm considering the 1024 x 1024 Philips 42FD9954 Vs. the 852 x 480 Panasonic TH-42PW5.

For me the important things are picture quality and ease of use (for non tech savy family members) It should be as simple to operate as a standard CRT. The Philips scores well on the ease of use factor but I'm concerned about the negative comments I hearing about quality.

I would really appreciate comments and suggestions.

Thanks a ton.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Innit the best thing to do is form your own opinnion on the two models, take some of your favourite dvd's or material you'll watch and then find out which one is more pleasing to your eye. After all it's you that will be watching it non stop. Read the plasma faq if you're confused about the technology.

Have Fun.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.