AVS Forum banner

581 - 600 of 1692 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotasmom /forum/post/11468985

Our 9631 has been in the shop three weeks today for the blue "blob/sparkling" issue. And it was bad...There were blue blob/sparkles EVERYWHERE on the edges of the screen. They showed up when the TV was on for about 2-3 hours and there was a light color displaying on the screen.

The tech at the shop told us that it was the logic board and was also a voltage issue. He is waiting on the board to be shipped, will replace, and then adjust the voltages accordingly. Hopefully that will fix it, but if not, back it goes..........I hope this isn't the case because we really like this plasma.

BTW, the same day the shop picked up mine, they also picked up the same model plasma across town from me with the same issue. And, from what I hear from the shop they have also gotten Samsung and LG sets that are displaying the Blue (or red in some cases) blobs.

Good luck.......

PhillipsPhanatic,

My tv is set to 16:9 auto. Mine isn't what I consider bad and it does it as soon as I turn the set on. I can live with it for now, especially with football season coming. Unless it gets really bad I will wait to call BB and use my psp. Dakota thanks for the info about what the tech shop told you.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlppimb /forum/post/11477285

PhillipsPhanatic, My tv is set to 16:9 auto. Mine isn't what I consider bad and it does it as soon as I turn the set on. I can live with it for now, especially with football season coming. Unless it gets really bad I will wait to call BB and use my psp. Dakota thanks for the info about what the tech shop told you.

Anybody got a CLOSEUP of this blue-sparkle problem ?

JlP, can you move the picture to hide the line ?

·
Registered
15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic /forum/post/11478857

Anybody got a CLOSEUP of this blue-sparkle problem ?

JlP, can you move the picture to hide the line ?

Actually I took a few pics to email you. PM me ur email address and I will send them to ya. Its not a blue line on mine, its shading along the left side of the screen. Sometimes the shading its about 2"-3" into the picture.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
I just installed the November 2006 upgrade (I believe it's the most recent), my 2nd firmware upgrade after the August BSOD upgrade.

The Philips website says it solves or improves these functions:

BJ24U-1.9.0.0_03161 / Following improvements has been made:

• Availability cablecard channel map.

• Improved info in the service menu.

• Improved picture quality and stability on HDMI.

• Installation of channels.

Outside of the HDMI PQ issue (which I didn't know was a problem), what are items 1, 2, and 4 referring to ????

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Static Noise Update: Once again, I had a gap in using the plasma (3 days this time; in August it was 7). Once again, tonite I heard a pretty discernable static humm from the back of the TV sitting on a couch about 10' away. In the past, with MUTE on, I had to have my head right up to the plasma or behind it to hear anything.

HOWEVER....the noise appears to fade with use. Turned the set OFF/ON once tonite, and have it on for about 3 hours, it's definitely lower.

I wouldn't say the noise earlier was a killer -- it was something you heard with the sound MUTED or during a voice pause from the TV -- but once you knew it was there you tended to 'look' (hear ?
) for it. With normal audio you couldn't hear it and now, once again, it sounds OK.

If this is the worst thing that happens to the 9631, I'll take it. Not sure why it happens and if it's just a coincidence or if it's related to a gap in usage (come to think of it, even when I used it daily, the noise always seemed loudes on turn-on after 12-18 hours of not being in use. But that noise was much lower than the one following the 3 & 7 day non-usages).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same blue blog/sparkle/discoloration as a couple others have mentioned. Have your issues been resolved? Mine appears sporadically as well, but is noticeable. It appears mostly on the right side for me as well as only for lighter colors. I keep mine in automatic mode so the entire screen is filled. Any suggestions? What is the main issue behind the discoloration?

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Does anybody know why, using the Philips TV tuner, the HD channels would be as crisp and clear (audio and PQ) as when I go through the STB...however, for SD channels, they're a bit more granualar and on some, lots of annoying 'popping' static noises ??

Is this dirty electricity that the STB is 'cleaning' ??? Why would the tuner do a great job on HD but lousy on (a few) SD channels ? The static is very noticeable and even though I usually go through the STB (except when using PIP and the TV tuner for a HD channel to make it work), it's weird.

Not all the channels are like that, low-number ones seem better, higher ones more staticky.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ive got a 42PF5321D/37 with the blue shading as well. I had a tech come out and this is a know problem with this product. It has something to do with "VS" voltages. The tech has a "panel" on order and this should take care of this problem. All of this under warranty.

aquafuzz

·
Registered
3,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquafuzz /forum/post/11714259

Ive got a 42PF5321D/37 with the blue shading as well. I had a tech come out and this is a know problem with this product. It has something to do with "VS" voltages. The tech has a "panel" on order and this should take care of this problem. All of this under warranty. aquafuzz

GREAT !!

Can you ask him when he comes back -- or when you speak to him before -- what exactly is the "VS" voltage thing? Ask him if it's a software or hardware problem.....which models are affected (9630, 9631, 9731, etc?) and also what % of TV's get it (90% ? 50%? 10%? 1% ?).

·
Registered
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic /forum/post/11721281

GREAT !!

Can you ask him when he comes back -- or when you speak to him before -- what exactly is the "VS" voltage thing? Ask him if it's a software or hardware problem.....which models are affected (9630, 9631, 9731, etc?) and also what % of TV's get it (90% ? 50%? 10%? 1% ?).

I will ask about the % and what VS stands for. The one thing I know it is a hardware thing. I watched him ajust a small trimmer while watching a multimeter. While looking at the open back of my set with the AV inputs by my feet the trimmer was on the board on the left.

Hope this helps.

aquafuzz

·
Registered
3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquafuzz /forum/post/11747138

I will ask about the % and what VS stands for. The one thing I know it is a hardware thing. I watched him ajust a small trimmer while watching a multimeter. While looking at the open back of my set with the AV inputs by my feet the trimmer was on the board on the left.

Hope this helps.

aquafuzz

My 42PF9631D/37 has the same deal happening. A blue 'hue' all over the left side after the TV is on for an hour or so. Philips support said it a local TV repair shop will put a new power supply in to fix the issue. A quick ebay search showed a power supply costing $170. Thank God it happened under warranty.....

·
Registered
3,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by abs168 /forum/post/11768061

My 42PF9631D/37 has the same deal happening. A blue 'hue' all over the left side after the TV is on for an hour or so. Philips support said it a local TV repair shop will put a new power supply in to fix the issue. A quick ebay search showed a power supply costing $170. Thank God it happened under warranty.....

Strange that a power-supply issue is causing a discoloration.

·
Registered
898 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic /forum/post/11756260

Nobody ??????????

Sorry PhilipsPhanatic, I have the latest upgrade but don't know what each fix is. As for the buzzing, it sounds like a heat related problem, possibly with one of the power supplies. Pop the back off & try to locate the noise, what do you have to lose?

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have been remiss in posting to AVS, but a friend of mine has had the same thing on her 42PF9631D/37, only the "sparkling" is green and not confined to the corners. It is random throughout the panel. This has been happening over the last 2 months, along with other issues with picture quality on the HD inputs (both HDMI and component), but the green sparkles seem to be confined to the HDMI input only. As an aside, the quality of the component input is worse than just an S-video connection from her Dish HD box.

So far, 5 service calls to the house, with two different circut boards having been replaced, actually three, but I think the one (what the service tech called the input board), was replace twice, without success. As it stands now, the panel is being picked up on Wed, so that it can be serviced off site. She has arranged for a loaner plasma from Sears, to be dropped off when they take hers away.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Last Thurday when I came home, my wife said the tv was not working. I turned everything on (Harmony 880) and there was no picture or sound. I could get the HD Cable guide to show, but the box in the corners that usually shows what is on the current channel was blank. The channel info bars showed on the bottom of the screen as well. I popped in a dvd and then a Blu-ray and those worked also. I called Cox, and the tech sent a signal down the line and re-booted my cable box, and the picture returned. He said that "sometimes this happens" and he doesn't know why. Well, the next day I was walking by the TV and saw a bunch of fast moving "sparkles" on the screen. You have to look hard to see them from normal viewing distance, but right up by the screen they are very noticeable. It looks like muti-colored glitter being spinkled on the screen. When you change the channel, when that "grey screen" between channels appears, you can really see them. I have the cable guy coming out Tuesday to check it out.

581 - 600 of 1692 Posts