AVS Forum banner

601 - 620 of 1692 Posts

·
Registered
3,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJMDWYER /forum/post/11780110

Last Thurday when I came home, my wife said the tv was not working. I turned everything on (Harmony 880) and there was no picture or sound. I could get the HD Cable guide to show, but the box in the corners that usually shows what is on the current channel was blank. The channel info bars showed on the bottom of the screen as well. I popped in a dvd and then a Blu-ray and those worked also. I called Cox, and the tech sent a signal down the line and re-booted my cable box, and the picture returned. He said that "sometimes this happens" and he doesn't know why. Well, the next day I was walking by the TV and saw a bunch of fast moving "sparkles" on the screen. You have to look hard to see them from normal viewing distance, but right up by the screen they are very noticeable. It looks like muti-colored glitter being spinkled on the screen. When you change the channel, when that "grey screen" between channels appears, you can really see them. I have the cable guy coming out Tuesday to check it out.

I have a blinking on-off pixel box that's maybe 1-2" rectangular at the bottom of the TV's viewing area (it's for YES, the Yankees station)...it's the only one, same location, but no other channel (SD or HD) had it. So I knew this was NOT a Philips problem but either a cable or channel problem.

·
Registered
64 Posts
How well does the anti-reflective screen on the 50PF9631 work, preferably in relation to the Panasonic 5077U. I have a projection setup for nights, so day viewing with ambient light is important to me.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen_L /forum/post/11801796

How well does the anti-reflective screen on the 50PF9631 work, preferably in relation to the Panasonic 5077U. I have a projection setup for nights, so day viewing with ambient light is important to me.

I don't even know if the 9631 has that. If it doesn't, I don't miss it.

Unless you have the sun in back of you shining straight ahead to the screen, or a bunch of overhead lights pointing right at the screen, this anti-reflective stuff is overdone.

Is it nice to have? Sure. But I can solve the problem by turning OFF or down the lights.

I have never noticed reflections on my Philips 9631 in my basement; some sunlight from behind plasma (8' x 3' of windows at ground level); 2 overhead lights behind cloudy chamber; 1 table lamp.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by abs168 /forum/post/11768061

My 42PF9631D/37 has the same deal happening. A blue 'hue' all over the left side after the TV is on for an hour or so. Philips support said it a local TV repair shop will put a new power supply in to fix the issue. A quick ebay search showed a power supply costing $170. Thank God it happened under warranty.....

Sooo, this warranty process is turning into a nightmare. Philips recommended 3 places in my area that are authorized to do repairs; the first guy gave me a 4 week in shop turn-around, the 2nd wasnt even certified on this plasma, and the 3rd one wont return repeated phone calls. UGH I'm not going without this TV for 4 weeks during Football season....

·
Registered
3,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by abs168 /forum/post/11849483

Sooo, this warranty process is turning into a nightmare. Philips recommended 3 places in my area that are authorized to do repairs; the first guy gave me a 4 week in shop turn-around, the 2nd wasnt even certified on this plasma, and the 3rd one wont return repeated phone calls. UGH I'm not going without this TV for 4 weeks during Football season....

Try and get a reputable name from AVS for someone in your area; you might also ask Philips about giving you a 'loaner' TV if it takes that long to fix.

·
Registered
3 Posts
For everyone that has the blue blowout issue, beware!

We have had our 9631 in the shop since the second week of August, and have been told at least 5 different stories from Philips and the repair center on what is wrong with it. We started taping their conversations because they couldn't keep up with their own stories! At first it was the Y board, then another board, yet another issue. Then it was deemed unfixable, so we were waiting on the "paperwork" to be approved for replacement or reimbursement. THEN it became, "Well, we think we'll replace the panel, placed an order/have confirmation number on shipping, will be fixed next week", to NOW we have "Can't help you, panel backordered, basically you are out of luck." And to make matters worse, they have opened and closed so many SO's we can't keep up. When we asked about that (the repair shop brought it to our attention), the CSR's stated that if they couldn't get the other info to come up, they just opened a new one. I kid you not...We have it all on my husband's micro-recorder.

So, we have filed a complaint with the BBB (who are also having issues with them responding timely), and have contacted an attorney because we are really just mentally exhausted and tired of dealing with Philips and their crap. They are completely and utterly the worst consumer experience I have ever had in my life.

Best of luck to everyone else with this issue. I hope that you have quicker and better resolutions than I.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey Guys,

I also posted this in the 50PF9731D thread before I found this one.

When connected through component cables and showing a standard def signal, occasionally my 50PF9631D/37 will essentially shift the entire image left, and reflect it off the side, causing lots of distortion, lines, and dimming of the picture. I don't know how else to describe it.

The fix I have found is to switch to a different resolution signal then switch back. If I'm on a cable channel, going to a HD channel then back to the Standard Def. channel will fix it. On the DVD Player, turning progressive off then back on does the trick. I haven't found a fix for the xbox yet. Anyhow, I would like to know if anyone else has seen this, or found a more permanent fix yet.. thanks!

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Anybody with lots of hours on their 9631 OR 9630? I have about 2,300 on my 9631 but the 9731's in my office have about 3,200 hours in 7 months tuned to CNBC daily with no IR or BI.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I finally got an authorized shop to come to the house to look at the blue hue that was all over the left side of my Philips...and the guy fixed it in under 30 minutes! The guy turned the voltage output of one of the boards down by 5 volts and all was well. Now, 2 weeks after he came out....my TV is still looking as good as new! The service man was telling me that Philips didnt have this model in testing long enough because he's been fixing ALOT of these models with the exact same issue.

To those who have this issue...it CAN be fixed with an onsite visit in less than 30 min. Dont let them take your TV out of your house!!!

·
Registered
3,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by abs168 /forum/post/12245409

I finally got an authorized shop to come to the house to look at the blue hue that was all over the left side of my Philips

Which model do you have? Also, how many hours of PDP use and when did you buy it?

·
Registered
15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic /forum/post/11897725

Dakota, contact the Philips USA CEO....some here have had good luck e-mailing him.

Ask for a new 9731 if they can't fix/get you a new 9631.

Whats his email? or Where do I find it on the Phillips website? Thanks

·
Registered
3,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlppimb /forum/post/12328914

Whats his email? or Where do I find it on the Phillips website? Thanks

Someone posted it pages earlier or on the 9630 thread, probably within the last 10-15 pages there, too.

Advanced Search might help....maybe someone else can chime in with the email ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys,

After another long month of arguing with Philips again (They sent us a REFURBISHED unit that died that the shop when they were testing it out for us...Didn't even make it to the house) I took the oh so awesome PhilipsPhanatic's advice and sent a long and lengthy e-mail to the President of the company. I also e-mailed everyone else I could find in Corporate.

My issue has been going on since August and it has been a nightmare. I sent my e-mail out yesterday at 1:31pm and by 4:13pm I had a response from the Corporate Brand Manager, who told me that the Paul S. was out of the country and that he had forwarded to someone who who call me immediately. Sure enough, a wonderful person called me at 5:15pm and was completely appalled by my story. She also stated she would call me back first thing today.

Which she did, to tell me I would be getting a brand new Philips 42 LCD PFL7432D/37 which would ship Monday and I would have it by Wednesday. Needless to say I was VERY happy as that TV has awesome user reviews all the way around.

Thank you PhilipsPhanatic for your advice, because even my attorney was pulling his hair out over this mess. I was also happy at the amount of attention that they (finally) gave me over this issue. I am very pleased with how this turned out and no longer want to chuck my Philips Senseo and Sonicare in the lake behind my house. :)

Good luck to everyone else experiencing the same problem.......

·
Registered
377 Posts
Dakotasmom,

Any chance you know where you found the info on who you e-mailed?

I searched through this thread, and 100 pages of the 9630 thread, and came up blank. I even read through 100 pages of old posts in the 9630 thread.

Service tech was at the house yesterday..... AGAIN... the 10th time in 8 months. This thing still isn't fixed, and Sears is saying they now want to replace the power supply. What haven't they replaced?

The Plasma is going to be 1 year old in 2 weeks, and other than the 1st - 3 months... has never been right.

Sooooooo frustrating.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotasmom /forum/post/12361613

Hi guys, After another long month of arguing with Philips again (They sent us a REFURBISHED unit that died that the shop when they were testing it out for us...Didn't even make it to the house) I took the oh so awesome PhilipsPhanatic's advice and sent a long and lengthy e-mail to the President of the company. I also e-mailed everyone else I could find in Corporate. My issue has been going on since August and it has been a nightmare. I sent my e-mail out yesterday at 1:31pm and by 4:13pm I had a response from the Corporate Brand Manager, who told me that the Paul S. was out of the country and that he had forwarded to someone who who call me immediately. Sure enough, a wonderful person called me at 5:15pm and was completely appalled by my story. She also stated she would call me back first thing today. Which she did, to tell me I would be getting a brand new Philips 42 LCD PFL7432D/37 which would ship Monday and I would have it by Wednesday. Needless to say I was VERY happy as that TV has awesome user reviews all the way around. Thank you PhilipsPhanatic for your advice, because even my attorney was pulling his hair out over this mess. I was also happy at the amount of attention that they (finally) gave me over this issue. I am very pleased with how this turned out and no longer want to chuck my Philips Senseo and Sonicare in the lake behind my house. :) Good luck to everyone else experiencing the same problem.......

Glad it worked out for you DakotasMom....I will mention that to Philips Corporate when I next speak to them.

This is what drives me nuts about Philips, and why the company -- which is driving for higher returns and profitability -- is shooting itself in the foot. For a few more $$$ on quality control and/or returns, they would be able to charge a PREMIUM for both their plasmas AND LCDs which would allow them to be a profitable niche in flat-TV's.

Good job by Philips higher-ups....now if we can just get a similar response from the call centers or the middle-level managers, PHG stock might just rocket to $60 !!!

·
Registered
3,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandypx /forum/post/12371336

Dakotasmom, Any chance you know where you found the info on who you e-mailed? I searched through this thread, and 100 pages of the 9630 thread, and came up blank. I even read through 100 pages of old posts in the 9630 thread. Service tech was at the house yesterday..... AGAIN... the 10th time in 8 months. This thing still isn't fixed, and Sears is saying they now want to replace the power supply. What haven't they replaced? The Plasma is going to be 1 year old in 2 weeks, and other than the 1st - 3 months... has never been right. Sooooooo frustrating.

DakotasMom, why don't you post the e-mail AND address of who you contacted here for future reference.

Xandypx, what's wrong with your set (is it a 9631) ??

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hey Phanatic,

Yes it is a 42PF9631D/37.

What hasn't been a problem.

Originally the problem started out on the HDMI and component inputs. Green random sparkles throughout the panel on the HDMI input. Component input which I tried to use, (no sparkles), had extremely bad PQ... real bad (unwatchable). S-video PQ was better than the Component.

BTW the source is a Dish HD box. I originally thought it was the HD box, and something to do with HDCP over the HDMI input, but Dish replaced their box twice before we realized it was the Plasma. This was last March-April before we even contacted Sears for warranty repair to the panel... The last 8 months is ongoing "history".

They originally replaced what the tech called the "Input" board.

Then the replacement of the "Logic" board. Then the Logic Board a second time when the TV started "freezing" (not responding to the remote), only option.... turn the set off by the side button on the TV and allow it to "reset".

The second replacement was done at a repair shop, where they had the TV for about a month.

Upon it's return... The TV now will "Freeze" when switching from SD to HD (a 480 signal to either 720p or 1080i.)

The "freeze-up" of the panel exhibits itself as a pink (washed out red) screen, and again, when this happens, the TV will not respond to the remote control, and must be manually turned off. Sometimes the pink screen will appear for a split second, and the picture straightens up, but when it hangs... it's aggravating. Changing the channel on the Dish box, does not clear the pink screen. When the TV hangs....it hangs...

The TV repair tech is able to reproduce this with a signal generator. At least... for the time being, this has now become an intermittent problem, but a problem none-the-less. And one that shows something is still wrong.

Friday the repair tech came back in, called Philips Tech support... Now they're going to replace the power supply..... As I said above, what haven't they replaced???

The service tech is telling us that Philips won't replace this lemon of a set. I thought I might contact Philips myself since all our SO's have been through Sears.

Plus, as indicated above.. 2 weeks of Philips warranty left. I'm concerned that when the extended warranty kicks in... I'll have a 100lb glass and electronic anchor. Albeit... a fancy anchor with Ambilight...

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Xand, I don't want to minimize your problem -- you should get a new 9631 or a new LCD comparable model (see DakotasMom, above) -- but I have had somewhat similar (but not as persistent) problems with my TV.

When the scrambled pixels and colors 'freeze' I will IMMEDIATELY change channels on the same source. If that doesn't do anything, I change SOURCES -- if I'm watching via TV then I switch to AV1 (cable STB). This problem is probably the cable signal strength in my case (not saying it's yours) and I just wanted others to know how to 'fix' the problem if it happens but isn't as malevolent as yours.

It could also be a weak singnal and/or a cable interference problem along with the TV. But doesn't appear to be a TV problem (in my case).

As for your situation, agreed, it's different -- you should go for a new set via Sears (got mine there -- just goes to show you how this is as much a luck thing as anything) or contact Philips like DakotasMom did.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Well the Tech was out again yesterday to replace the power supply....

Unfortunately, the parts box contained the "Y" Board, not a new power supply board, so other than the back being removed from the FPD, nothing got done, and BTW the pink freeze-up is getting worse. Hopefully they are going to expedite the correct part as promised, and we try again tomorrow.

Dakotasmom... have you been online? Have you located the info on who you e-mailed?

Thanks

601 - 620 of 1692 Posts