AVS Forum banner

641 - 660 of 1692 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I have a 42pf9631d. Overall, I've been very pleased with its picture and performance, but it seems to have an issue. In cases where it has been on for many hours, the screen will black out for about 2-4 seconds even though the green power indicator light remains on. Then it just comes right back on.


Last night, it did it three times while watching a movie on demand. Is anyone else experiencing the same problem? know any causes? or solutions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danera215 /forum/post/12648106


I have a 42pf9631d. Overall, I've been very pleased with its picture and performance, but it seems to have an issue. In cases where it has been on for many hours, the screen will black out for about 2-4 seconds even though the green power indicator light remains on. Then it just comes right back on. ast night, it did it three times while watching a movie on demand. Is anyone else experiencing the same problem? know any causes? or solutions?
BSOD.....update your firmware.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danera215 /forum/post/12648106


I have a 42pf9631d. Overall, I've been very pleased with its picture and performance, but it seems to have an issue. In cases where it has been on for many hours, the screen will black out for about 2-4 seconds even though the green power indicator light remains on. Then it just comes right back on.


Last night, it did it three times while watching a movie on demand. Is anyone else experiencing the same problem? know any causes? or solutions?

That definitely sounds like something that was fixed with the newest firmware.
http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/d...=Link_Software

Here's the link to Philips Canada, but it can be found on any of the philips sites.

You just need a USB key to put it on, plug it in the TV while off, turn on the TV, and if done correctly, it will automatically start the update procedure. Very easy to do, and many posts in this thread on doing that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
I bought the 50pf9631 about 4 months ago and I thought it was one of the best pictures I have ever seen. However, about a month ago I noticed a blurring of the reds when there was motion. Also, if you look at the screen from about a foot away you can see "sparkles" randomly all over the screen. So I came on this forum to check it out and sure enough I am not the only one with this problem. (When I looked at the pictures posted of someone on this forums blue sparkle problem I realized it is exactly identical to the problem I am having with my reds - only my problem is not as severe). It makes sense to me that some people have problems with blue, green, and red (myself) sparkles since these are the colors the TV works off of. Does anyone know what should I do about this problem? It doesn't really bother me too much right now because I love the TV, but I want to know if it will get worse. I bought it open box from best buy with a 4 year service protection plan so I am not sure if I have the Phillips service plan as well. Any recommendations from anyone else who has this same problem?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirts88 /forum/post/12737253


I bought the 50pf9631 about 4 months ago and I thought it was one of the best pictures I have ever seen. However, about a month ago I noticed a blurring of the reds when there was motion. Also, if you look at the screen from about a foot away you can see "sparkles" randomly all over the screen. So I came on this forum to check it out and sure enough I am not the only one with this problem. (When I looked at the pictures posted of someone on this forums blue sparkle problem I realized it is exactly identical to the problem I am having with my reds - only my problem is not as severe). It makes sense to me that some people have problems with blue, green, and red (myself) sparkles since these are the colors the TV works off of. Does anyone know what should I do about this problem? It doesn't really bother me too much right now because I love the TV, but I want to know if it will get worse. I bought it open box from best buy with a 4 year service protection plan so I am not sure if I have the Phillips service plan as well. Any recommendations from anyone else who has this same problem?

First recommendation: don't watch the plasma from 1 foot away !!!



Seriousley, I wouldn't worry about it...we all see little imperfections in our Philips or flat panels.....monitor the event and if it worsens or becomes more noticeable, then utilize the warranty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
377 Posts
Well... the above title says it all. About two week after posting above... that this FPD was finally fixed... guess what... it UNFIXED itself.


We did get a couple of weeks of pristine viewing... then... the sparkles again... only this time both green and red. You would have thought it was still Christmas... with the blinking lights and all... Problem was... Christmas was over.... and secondly... the set flashed more than the Christmas tree.


Wait....I know.... the Plasma was still in the Christmas spirit.


Anyway, I digress.....


Philips finally gave up. They are shipping a new panel, and have told us that we should get it in about 5-7 working days.


They are shipping a referb 9631 that they had in stock... Concerned with the referb... I asked Philips about a warranty since the original Philips warranty has expired on the old set.


Since Philips is replacing this TV, not Sears, we are unsure where the extended warranty through Sears will stand since this is not the same set bought from them.


Philips and Sears are supposed to get back to us next week, and let us know how the warranty is to be handled on the replacement set. They both told us not to worry...we will have an extended warranty. We'll see.


I'll post when the swap out is completed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandypx /forum/post/12872252


Philips finally gave up. They are shipping a new panel, and have told us that we should get it in about 5-7 working days.They are shipping a referb 9631 that they had in stock... Concerned with the referb... I asked Philips about a warranty since the original Philips warranty has expired on the old set. Since Philips is replacing this TV, not Sears, we are unsure where the extended warranty through Sears will stand since this is not the same set bought from them. Philips and Sears are supposed to get back to us next week, and let us know how the warranty is to be handled on the replacement set. They both told us not to worry...we will have an extended warranty. We'll see.I'll post when the swap out is completed.

Looks like Philips treated you pretty well with a 'new' 9631, no? Hopefully it works out for you. I would expect Sears to still cover your 'new' 9631.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
I have had my Philips 50PF9631D since July 2006. I have never had the need to do any firmware upgrading. I was looking to see what firmware upgrades there might be on the Philips web sites, and all I (still) see is one from December 2006. Does anyone know if there are later firmware updates for the PF9631D series (in any size) since that December 2006 upgrade? I am just wanting to stay up to date. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retexan599 /forum/post/12878748


I have had my Philips 50PF9631D since July 2006. I have never had the need to do any firmware upgrading. I was looking to see what firmware upgrades there might be on the Philips web sites, and all I (still) see is one from December 2006. Does anyone know if there are later firmware updates for the PF9631D series (in any size) since that December 2006 upgrade? I am just wanting to stay up to date. Thanks.

Well, there were two updates since then: the August '06 which fixed the BSOD problem (you must not have it) and the November '06 upgrade which had some minor fixings on HDMI picture. If you're satisfied with your picture I guess 'if it 'aint broke, don't fix it' should apply, HOWEVER....I would download each zip file (or at least the Novemeber one, I believe it is additive which means it includes the August BSOD fix and earlier patches) and store it on a clean USB stick. That way, if you ever need to upgrade, you have it. We haven't heard definitively if the HDMI fix is noticeable but nobody seems to say that their TV's went worse after either upgrade.


Glad your 50" is working fine, but get the downloads stored somewhere for future use (maybe you're not using HDMI now but will in the future). FWIW, I doubt we see anymore firmware upgrades unless Philips recommits to plasma.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic /forum/post/12880623


Well, there were two updates since then: the August '06 which fixed the BSOD problem (you must not have it) and the November '06 upgrade which had some minor fixings on HDMI picture. If you're satisfied with your picture I guess 'if it 'aint broke, don't fix it' should apply, HOWEVER....I would download each zip file (or at least the Novemeber one, I believe it is additive which means it includes the August BSOD fix and earlier patches) and store it on a clean USB stick. That way, if you ever need to upgrade, you have it. We haven't heard definitively if the HDMI fix is noticeable but nobody seems to say that their TV's went worse after either upgrade.


Glad your 50" is working fine, but get the downloads stored somewhere for future use (maybe you're not using HDMI now but will in the future). FWIW, I doubt we see anymore firmware upgrades unless Philips recommits to plasma.

Sorry, I don't understand -- you said (above) that there was an August '06 and November '06? I said the last one I see is from December '06; do I understand then that there have been no updates since December '06 (none in '07?)

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retexan599 /forum/post/12881928


Sorry, I don't understand -- you said (above) that there was an August '06 and November '06? I said the last one I see is from December '06; do I understand then that there have been no updates since December '06 (none in '07?) hanks.

I believe the latest one is dated November 28th as below:

http://www.usasupport.philips.com/co...SU_US_CONSUMER



I don't see anything dated December. Maybe it's a read-me file or they changed the date at some time. But you won't see 2 updates that close.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic /forum/post/12877618


Looks like Philips treated you pretty well with a 'new' 9631, no? Hopefully it works out for you. I would expect Sears to still cover your 'new' 9631.

For the most part. Just a shame it took so long. I can't say it's really over yet...at least until a working unit is in the den.


Just a little insight. According to Philips, a set needs to be deemed fixed 3 times by them before they will consider a replacement. Don't know if this is true, but that's what we were told when we got the call that a replacement was on the way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic /forum/post/12886480


I believe the latest one is dated November 28th as below:

http://www.usasupport.philips.com/co...SU_US_CONSUMER



I don't see anything dated December. Maybe it's a read-me file or they changed the date at some time. But you won't see 2 updates that close.


And you mean November 28th, 2006, right? So, no PF9631D updates since that time, and none in 2007? Just want to be sure. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retexan599 /forum/post/12888390


And you mean November 28th, 2006, right? So, no PF9631D updates since that time, and none in 2007? Just want to be sure. Thanks.

Yes.....and the August (November) 2006 update(s) are the only critical ones since only BSOD was a make-or-break problem. I think the other improvements might be OK to have but nobody seems to have had the problems they were supposed to fix and nobody who upgraded has seen much improvement. Could be a technical fix that isn't apparent to our viewing eyes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
435 Posts
Philips has offered to replace my set with the 52" LCD 52PFL7432D/37.. It retails for 2500 bucks.. Anyone know a good way to sell it? lol It has gotten great reviews.
It will also be brand new in box!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
377 Posts
Well the new TV arrived Wednesday afternoon......


it worked for a total of 15 minutes and then...


it shut off.

Red status light blinking.


I guess this one was in the Christmas spirit also....

just not as obnoxious as the other one... well maybe it was, but it only had one light at it’s disposal...

the other one... a million plus.


Unplugged it... allowed to cool/reset.. about an hour later plugged it back in... worked for 15 minutes and...

same scenario.


Contacted Philips immediately... told I would get a call today.

Didn't....


I called them... Was told the problem was escallated yesterday and I would get a call on Monday.


I'm now in worse shape with the new TV than with the first one.

This one dosen't work at all.


11 months and counting….

I feel like I'm typing a book about this TV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandypx /forum/post/12936189


Well the new TV arrived Wednesday afternoon...... it worked for a total of 15 minutes and then... it shut off.

Red status light blinking. I guess this one was in the Christmas spirit also....

just not as obnoxious as the other one... well maybe it was, but it only had one light at it's disposal...the other one... a million plus.Unplugged it... allowed to cool/reset.. about an hour later plugged it back in... worked for 15 minutes and... ame scenario.ontacted Philips immediately... told I would get a call today. idn't....I called them... Was told the problem was escallated yesterday and I would get a call on Monday.I'm now in worse shape with the new TV than with the first one.This one dosen't work at all.11 months and counting.I feel like I'm typing a book about this TV.

Is this a NEW set or your old one repaired or a refurb replacement?


I'd write a POLITE but FIRM letter to Philips USA detailing your experience and stressing the timeline. Problem sets are excusable -- multi-month delays are not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I own a 42" version of the 9631D and I bought it in December 06 and it worked flawlessly until mid-September 07. I haven't had the typical black screen issue that many others have had, but when I turn my TV on, the green power light goes off and begins flashing red. The red light flashes 6 times then pauses and starts over. The only fix to this problem is to unplug the TV and wait for the light to stop flashing and plug it in and turn the TV on. This happened maybe three times between September 07 and Thanksgiving before it started happening more frequently. I called customer service the Saturday after Thanksgiving before the Philips warranty ran out and they told me to contact the local repair center. The tv was repair and returned to me on Dec. 7/07 and worked flawlessly for 2 weeks. It is my understanding that the power supply and the board with all of the connections was replaced. I reported the issue the second time and had to call the repair center back because it was still covered under their 30 day window of their repair work. This time there was a little more of a hassle getting anything done about it and finally yesterday, my local repair man came to my house to work on the tv again. The part that had been sent to him this time was the same part he replaced the first time and after replacing this part the problem resumed as soon as we had the TV mounted on the wall. THe only difference is now after this repair, my ambilight feature doesn't work. Therefore I had to call and make another complaint to customer service.


Has anyone else had the flashing RED LED when turning on the TV problem? I saw on the Philips customer service website that for a different model TV (9630A) this could be caused by an electrostatic discharge due to a VGA connection, but this TV does not have that connection.


Can anyone help shed some light on this problem, I don't seem to be getting anywhere with Philips and my local repair man.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,817 Posts
Emac, go back in this thread and on the 9630 User Thread...I know others have had it, you'll just have to scan or use Advanced Search within the threads to find the relevant posts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic /forum/post/12944132


Is this a NEW set or your old one repaired or a refurb replacement?


I'd write a POLITE but FIRM letter to Philips USA detailing your experience and stressing the timeline. Problem sets are excusable -- multi-month delays are not.

This was actually a "NEW" replacement TV shipped from Ohio. Philips said is was not a referb, or it would have a "B" (B-stock) in the part number. It does Not.

as I said, this TV is worse than the first one, because it will only work 15 minutes at a time, then 1 hour to reset. At least the other set only had an intermitent problem that showed up sporatically (OK too sporatically... but it at least had a picture).


They have promised a call on Monday, regarding their next move. I'll wait for the call, an then determine my next step.


All I can say (or want to say right now), is that Philips is in no way developing a loyal long term customer here.


BTW: Emac1. Your description of the set turning off, is the same problem I have with the "NEW" set. Only the power light flashes RED 7 times.
 
641 - 660 of 1692 Posts
Top