AVS Forum banner

1681 - 1692 of 1692 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey PhilPhan, looong time no see! Wow, 8 years on your cap replacement is impressive. My 42" 9630, purchased in 06', is still going strong 8 years after I replaced the upper and lower Y buffer boards in 09', but now I have the blinking red lights of death for the first time. Been doing the unplug and plug for a week now. Going back over this thread I see that some guys replaced the 3300uf 10v with 16v or 25v. I ordered the 25v, got the them other day and they look huge! A little afraid they won't fit, so ordered the 16v, should be in by tuesday after New Years. Thanks to this forum I was able to replace those buffer boards myself and now the caps, hopefully it works! Don't want to lose the beautiful picture on these plasmas and the Ambilight! I'll let you guys know how it goes...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Update: Opened her up and found the 2 3300uf 10v caps bulging, and one leaking a bit. Swapped them out with 2 3300uf 16v caps, everything back to normal.
The only thing is, during the last week of unplugging and re-plugging, the picture would come on, but the audio went on the fritz. Like a crackling static sound with no audio.
When I turned my external sound bar on to Sat, the static stopped and the sound bar took over with normal audio. I was hoping the new caps would fix it but no.
I don't remember this particular problem occurring years ago when everybody here was swapping out the caps. If anybody drops back into this thread would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey, years back i was somewhere on this forum and found info on replacing two capacitors on my 50PF9631D/37. Please redirect this to another thread if there is somewhere else it should be.

I was away for the weekend and returned yesterday, turn the TV on and there is no sound. First i try turning the TV off and back on, no luck. Then i tried resetting cable box, no luck. Next i tried different output (first was hdmi 1) then i went to AV 1 with Red blue green components. still no sound. Next i tried HDMI 2 with my playstation 3 to see if it was the cable box. still no sound through the playstation. lastly i tried a speaker system using the L and R audio out ports at the back of the TV and still had nothing. I will try headphones in the side headphone jack tomorrow but im not expecting it to work. does anyone have any suggestions as to what can be causing this? Still no sound today and unplugging/plugging back in also has not worked. picture is fine though. and no the TV is not muted and i checked all the menu sound options but i am open to trying anything. I am also willing to open up the TV as i will be replacing the two capacitors for the TV click in the very near future as well. Thanks for any input

·
Registered
40 Posts
update on previous post: after the TV was on for 3 hours. the sound magically just started. i wont be turning it off until im done using it tonight but im very curious to see what happens tomorrow. im guessing the sound will possibly be an issue again. stay tuned.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Turned the TV on today and no sound again. going to let it stay on and see how long it takes for sound to potentially come back today. Potentially a capacitor issue also im guessing? might have to just try and visually see when i open the TV up again.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Update: Opened her up and found the 2 3300uf 10v caps bulging, and one leaking a bit. Swapped them out with 2 3300uf 16v caps, everything back to normal. The only thing is, during the last week of unplugging and re-plugging, the picture would come on, but the audio went on the fritz. Like a crackling static sound with no audio. When I turned my external sound bar on to Sat, the static stopped and the sound bar took over with normal audio. I was hoping the new caps would fix it but no.I don't remember this particular problem occurring years ago when everybody here was swapping out the caps. If anybody drops back into this thread would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks
Hey John C....congrats on fixing the TV (somewhat).....at least you can get sound via the soundbar.

Hey, we got our money's worth with these Philips Ambilights, can't spend serious $$$$ to fix them with 4K's costing under $1,000. :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey John C....congrats on fixing the TV (somewhat).....at least you can get sound via the soundbar.
:D
Hey PhillyPhan hope all is well. Yeah, it's still working fine with the
soundbar. If I remember correctly, you had a couple of Ambilights,
are they still running or did you upgrade to something else?

·
Registered
40 Posts
still having the same issue i was having, sound usually comes on within first 30 min. maybe once a week it comes on instantaneous, and about once a week itll take 1-2+ hours. im guessing its a Caps problem but havent opened it up yet. eventually will. i dealt with phillipsphan many years ago on here to fix original caps prob.

·
Registered
50 Posts
still having the same issue i was having, sound usually comes on within first 30 min. maybe once a week it comes on instantaneous, and about once a week itll take 1-2+ hours. im guessing its a Caps problem but havent opened it up yet. eventually will. i dealt with phillipsphan many years ago on here to fix original caps prob.
Hey Cheesehead, not sure swapping caps would fix your problem, if you look at post 1682 in this thread, you'll see I swapped caps to fix the red blinking lights problem which has to do with the t.v. not turning on
and it worked for that, but it didn't fix the sound issue. I could be wrong though. Hope you suss it out!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Side of the road

Hey guys I found a Phillips 50 PF9631D/37 at the end of someone's driveway destined for the landfill. Couldn't believe how heavy the sucker is. Gouged my plastic bumper but I got it home and plopped it in the garage. It's a 2009 Made in Mexico, definitely spent some time "Semi" outside like in a screened in enclosure. I'm in florida so that's pretty common. The av ports are rusty on the back panel and a few of the screws holding the back panel on are rusty. I plugged it in and immediately heard an audible click. I waited a moment and pressed the power button the whole screen flashed once, dimly, for a moment and it turned off. I unplugged it and plugged it right back in and hit the power button right away and it came on. I had the menu up, I got excited and it turned off. Followed by... a blinking red light in the left hand corner 7...times...Honestly I jumped on youtube before I finally found this forum. I only found this forum through google in an attempt to find the SERVICE MANUAL. Between youtube and this forum a red light blinking seven times would be the two 3300uf 10v caps... I found them they appear to have been replaced before. Being that they are 16v and the top of the cap is split in thirds rather than quarters. They are also brown im guessing KMG is the name brand on them. From what I understand these caps dont always look swollen when they are bad. However a couple other little guys in the same vicinity specifically a 47uf 450v big guy right next to them are a little sketchy. But I also have no clue what I'm talking about. Should I just try those two 3300s first and see how it goes? What capacitor should I get?

I have pictures of my board but cant post images til I've posted 5 times haha

Also Does anyone know where I can buy a remote control for this sucker? And is there any truth to having to type in a special code after I do this replacement? :confused:

Attachments

1681 - 1692 of 1692 Posts