AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up one of these on Monday and got it all set up. I love the picture. I watched Apacolypto on bluray with my PS3. The colors and details of the jungle were crazy. Only thing that bugs me so far is that it flickers to a blue screen when I start a DVD, and does the same thing when I start a PS3 game. In the upper right hand corner of this blue screen it say "unsupported video format." I've got the PS3 set to 1080p. While I'm playing a game it says that its running 720p, while watching a blueray it said it was running 1080p. Anyone know why I have this problem?

Scotty

·
Registered
5,915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by offit7 /forum/post/0

I picked up one of these on Monday and got it all set up. I love the picture. I watched Apacolypto on bluray with my PS3. The colors and details of the jungle were crazy. Only thing that bugs me so far is that it flickers to a blue screen when I start a DVD, and does the same thing when I start a PS3 game. In the upper right hand corner of this blue screen it say "unsupported video format." I've got the PS3 set to 1080p. While I'm playing a game it says that its running 720p, while watching a blueray it said it was running 1080p. Anyone know why I have this problem?

Scotty

It's changing video formats. Most PS3 games run at 720p, and Blu Ray movies are 1080p. It's not a problem, that's just how it works.

·
Registered
66 Posts
We will be changing the "blue screen" in the next software release.

Output of the PS3 depends on the game, 720p games are output 720p, 1080p games are output 1080p. You might be able to search for some more info on PS3 and see if you can force it to output 1080p from a 720p game.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the output of the ps3 was my stupidity. I didn't uncheck the 720p box. I figured it would automatically change it when it "optimized" itself. I'm happy to hear that that blue screen is normal.

thanks

scotty

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess I don't know if it down converts those games. But if I leave it checked then the 1080p games only show up in 720p. I don't know if I can really tell the difference between the two, but I'm gonna tell myself that I can.

scotty

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hey gang,

I just picked up this TV from walmart. Overall Im satisfied with the picture quality and ease of setup.

Here are some incorrectly stated items.

1) TV seems to have Perfect Pixel HD (2007). It shows this when I click the demo button. I thought this model was suppose to have pixel plus 3 (2006). I dont know if this is really perfect pixel or just a typo. Not that big of a deal.

2) There's 3 HDMI inputs!!!. Philips - You guys need to update your product description. You guys go far as to put three HDMI and don't even advertise as such.

3) Under Picture Format, there's an option called "High Resolution". The manual doesn't even mention this option. Basically this seems to be a higher resolution than the "Widescreen" format. I don't really like this option cause some channels will show fuzzy lines around the edges. But I could see how this is a good option to have for PC or video games.

I found the above three major things in one day of use. I just wonder how many more I'll find. I understand that LCD tv is a very competitive market. But the people that write manual, web info and designers need to communicate better.

Here are some weird and negative things.

1) When I click mute, the mute logo stays on. I can't get rid of this. This is very important to me since I connect "digital out" from TV to my receiver. When I have the tv volume on, there's an echo (as expected). So I'd mute the TV. Unfortunately the mute logo stays on. I guess I just have to manually lower the volume to zero. Anyone know how to get rid of this logo?

2) When I'm watching certain HD channel, the blue screen will come on. This happes alot when TV program switches over to commercial. This is kinda annoying. I think this is more of a tuner issue. I say this cause this TV seems to not pick up as many QAM channels as my previous philips TV.

3) autoclock is wrong. It's off by an hour. I can only manually correct this. But even when I correct manually, the TV "info" function is still off by an hour. This is very annoying.

4) not being able to control other devices (not even philips dvd player) using the supplied remote is a negative.

·
Registered
82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkim6 /forum/post/0

Hey gang,

need to communicate better.

Here are some weird and negative things.

1) When I click mute, the mute logo stays on. I can't get rid of this. This is very important to me since I connect "digital out" from TV to my receiver. When I have the tv volume on, there's an echo (as expected). So I'd mute the TV. Unfortunately the mute logo stays on. I guess I just have to manually lower the volume to zero. Anyone know how to get rid of this logo?.

I agree with you 100% on this point. I also have to manually lower the volume on my Phlips set to zero instead of just hitting the mute button. The strange thing is one time the mute icon did disappear. I'm not sure why or if it was something that I did.

Charles

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did a lot of research and field trips and bought this model Saturday. I thought it was a great value for the specs(as i understand them anyway). My first Philips and HDTV ever so feel free to help, mock, or insult me at your leisure. Couple things i can't figure out.

I will undoubtedly use incorrect terminology etc. so bear with me.

I moved into a new house, got DirectTV, and this model on same day.

1.) TV seems to be interfering? with DTV HDtuner when connected through HDMI port. When flipping through channels, blue screen comes up for VERY long time and sometimes will not go away. I have hooked up component jacks with no problem until i get HDMI problem solved. Component jacks work fine.

2.) How do i turn off the Automatic resizing for the various formats that eliminates letterbox? I want TV to recognize the format and leave it alone. i don't care at all about black bars on top or sides. There has to be something simple i am missing. I have also screwed around with format and caused the screen to flicker intermittently. Eventually i shut the whole thing down for a couple minutes and it fixed itself. ESPNHD puts that lettering on the sidebars which keeps my TV from resizing. I want that always. For all above, i have "Native" off on HD tuner. Also i have turned off the "Automatic" in the menu to various confusing results.

Would it be possible for somebody who knows about this stuff to list his settings for an ignorant noob like myself?

·
Registered
82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugitman /forum/post/0

Did a lot of research and field trips and bought this model Saturday. I thought it was a great value for the specs(as i understand them anyway). My first Philips and HDTV ever so feel free to help, mock, or insult me at your leisure. Couple things i can't figure out.

2.) How do i turn off the Automatic resizing for the various formats that eliminates letterbox? I want TV to recognize the format and leave it alone. i don't care at all about black bars on top or sides. There has to be something simple i am missing. I have also screwed around with format and caused the screen to flicker intermittently. Eventually i shut the whole thing down for a couple minutes and it fixed itself. ESPNHD puts that lettering on the sidebars which keeps my TV from resizing. I want that always. For all above, i have "Native" off on HD tuner. Also i have turned off the "Automatic" in the menu to various confusing results.

Would it be possible for somebody who knows about this stuff to list his settings for an ignorant noob like myself?

What happens if you set the picture format to "Wide Screen?"

Charles

·
Registered
83 Posts

Quote:

1.) TV seems to be interfering? with DTV HDtuner when connected through HDMI port. When flipping through channels, blue screen comes up for VERY long time and sometimes will not go away. I have hooked up component jacks with no problem until i get HDMI problem solved. Component jacks work fine.

I think the blue screen is an indication that the signal is weak or temporarily lost. I also get that with my cable/QAM connection, but only for a less than a second.

Quote:

The TV remembers your picture format preference in two categories, digital and analog. From an analog channel, select 4:3. From a digital channel, select widescreen or high definition? (It's the bottom two choices).

·
Registered
10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesbell74 /forum/post/0

What happens if you set the picture format to "Wide Screen?"

Charles

Everything is okay until i go to a local analog channel(network affiliate). Screen then starts 'flickering' every 1 second or so. sometimes it stops after 30 seconds or so, sometimes not. i can stop this behavior by going to a full HD broadcast. Flickering stops. Then if i set to automatic everything is fine no matter the channel. Seems to a layman that the TV is trying to 'fight' the format i am forcing it to take.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Quote:

The TV remembers your picture format preference in two categories, digital and analog. From an analog channel, select 4:3. From a digital channel, select widescreen or high definition? (It's the bottom two choices).

Are you saying to go to the specific channel and select that?

Example:

go to [local NBC channel] select 4:3...then

go to [local NBCHD] select widescreen

the TV will then remember those 2 settings for the different signal type and associate accordingly? I should probably shut down and go back to factory settings and start over to get it right.

If any of you want to list your settings i would really appreciate it. Come on, everybody's doing it. It'll make you feel good. I'll let you hang out in the cool clique...

·
Registered
83 Posts

Quote:

Are you saying to go to the specific channel and select that?

Example:

go to [local NBC channel] select 4:3...then

go to [local NBCHD] select widescreen

the TV will then remember those 2 settings for the different signal type and associate accordingly? I should probably shut down and go back to factory settings and start over to get it right.

Yes and yes. You do exactly what you said in the example section and the TV will remember that setting for all other channels. So the tv will apply 4:3 for all analog channels and widescreen for all HD channels. BTW, I don't think you need to reset the tv.

·
Registered
155 Posts

Quote:

3) Under Picture Format, there's an option called "High Resolution". The manual doesn't even mention this option. Basically this seems to be a higher resolution than the "Widescreen" format. I don't really like this option cause some channels will show fuzzy lines around the edges. But I could see how this is a good option to have for PC or video games.

"High Resolution" is actually unscaled 1:1. It's displaying the full resolution of the tv. The newer firmware calls it "unscaled" to help with the confusion. You should not be using this mode unless you're using a high def source.

Quote:

2) When I'm watching certain HD channel, the blue screen will come on. This happes alot when TV program switches over to commercial. This is kinda annoying. I think this is more of a tuner issue. I say this cause this TV seems to not pick up as many QAM channels as my previous philips TV.

uprade your firmware. you can find it at the philips site

Quote:

3) autoclock is wrong. It's off by an hour. I can only manually correct this. But even when I correct manually, the TV "info" function is still off by an hour. This is very annoying.

the autoclock barely functions mostly due to the fact that there are so few channels to use to update the clock, and these can often be wrong. Just set the time manually, though if time is your concern, I suggest picking up watch rather than trying to use the tv

Quote:

4) not being able to control other devices (not even philips dvd player) using the supplied remote is a negative.

at this price point, I'm not going to complain about the tv remote. i don't know many people that stick solely to the original tv remote anyways

·
Registered
83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhemu /forum/post/0

"High Resolution" is actually unscaled 1:1. It's displaying the full resolution of the tv. The newer firmware calls it "unscaled" to help with the confusion. You should not be using this mode unless you're using a high def source.

But having to switch back and forth between "high resolution" and "widescreen" is also annoying when Im flipping between one digital channel (HD) and another digital channel (non-HD). Cause this causes fuzzy edges. I sorta wished the TV could remember my preference for every digital channel.

Quote:

uprade your firmware. you can find it at the philips site

OK I guess I could try that.

Quote:

the autoclock barely functions mostly due to the fact that there are so few channels to use to update the clock, and these can often be wrong. Just set the time manually, though if time is your concern, I suggest picking up watch rather than trying to use the tv

For those people that use OTA or QAM, clock function of the TV is very important. Plus I dont have a watch, I just use my cell phone to tell time.

Quote:

at this price point, I'm not going to complain about the tv remote. i don't know many people that stick solely to the original tv remote anyways

I certainly do. It's kinda odd that the previous philips 47 inch model (47PF9441) had a much nicer lookin remote that could control other philips devices. I don't know why Philips decided to downgrade to this black remote.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't understand the benefit of the high resolution or unscaled setting. When I use it for my PS3 it ends up having a 3 inch black border around the image. When is the best time to use it?

1 - 20 of 219 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.