AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased the Philips 50PF9631D/79 (50")

I have two possible problems

1. When the volume is low there is a feint yet perceptable humm coming from the speakers. When you turn it to mute, it dissappears after 5 s or so. When Mute if turned off, you can hear the sound 'start up'.

Initially I thought this was a fault and had the plamsa replaced, but I notice it again in the replacement set

Is this normal?

2. I have just had a case , whilst watching, the TV would just turn off, for no reason, and then turn on again. The remote stopped working. I reset the remote by removing the batteries and all is well now, but surely that is not normal?

Any ideas?

pelooyen

·
Registered
3,825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelooyen /forum/post/0

I just purchased the Philips 50PF9631D/79 (50") I have two possible problems1. When the volume is low there is a feint yet perceptable humm coming from the speakers. When you turn it to mute, it dissappears after 5 s or so. When Mute if turned off, you can hear the sound 'start up'. Initially I thought this was a fault and had the plamsa replaced, but I notice it again in the replacement set

Is this normal?

First, where did you buy the 9631?

Second, can you hear the 'buzz' from normal viewing distance while watching TV? I assume you are not using external speakers.

Quote:
2. I have just had a case , whilst watching, the TV would just turn off, for no reason, and then turn on again. The remote stopped working. I reset the remote by removing the batteries and all is well now, but surely that is not normal?Any ideas?pelooyen

Check the latest software on your TV from the Menu Guide and report back....sounds like you have a dated version and need to update it to get rid of BSOD (Black Screen Of Death).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply

I just updated the software (0.71 to 0.8)- is the BSOD a common problem?

Re; the noise, it is obvious from normal distance, but it has to be dead quiet

cheers

pelooyen

·
Registered
3,825 Posts

Quote:

Thanks for the reply I just updated the software (0.71 to 0.8)- is the BSOD a common problem?

It was on alot/most of the 9630/9631 models. You should not see it happen again after the upgrade, if it does, return the set.

BTW, have a dedicated USB drive solely for the Philips firmware upgrades, nothing else on it.

Quote:
Re; the noise, it is obvious from normal distance, but it has to be dead quiet cheerspelooyen

Hmmm....not sure, I always have a PC or something whirring in the background....I would say that if you cannot hear the sound with the volume at level 12 or higher, forget about it.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts

Quote:

Re; the noise, it is obvious from normal distance, but it has to be dead quiet

You know, I was listening the other day to mine without the PC on in the background and I could hear a high-pitched "hmmm" from a few feet away and normal viewing distance (6-10'). At first I thought it was just my ears reveberrating from where I had just left.

Again, this is so minor that if you can only hear it with MUTE on or with a PC off or with only absolute quiet/stillness in the room, don't worry. If it becomes a very loud noise and/or if you can hear it during normal TV viewing through the speakers or from the back of the plasma, then worry.

For now, enjoy the damn set !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.