AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many people here, I owned a Philips DVP 642 before I tried the 5960.

I bought the 5960 for two reasons:

1) It was said that it *could* play some AVI files that DVP642 couldn't play. I had some AVI files that couldn't be played on DVP642.

2) It has a HDMI interface support 1080i.

I got the 5960 from CC today. HDMI works fine. But I'm quite disappointed on the AVI playback function.

The 5960 did play some files that couldn't be played on DVP642. I think it's because 5960 has a newer codec engine? But the bad things is: it CANNOT play some files that could be played on 642, giving 'resolution not supported' message. For example, I have an AVI file with resoution 800*448, which can be played on DVP642, but cannot be played on 5960. I tried to set the HDMI resolution to 480, 576, no avail. I tried component connection, no luck either.

Looks like the 5960 has more restriction on AVI resolution than 642.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Your file might have more of a problem than just resolution - there are reports on videohelp of people playing 1024x576 files without problem.

Changing the connections shouldn't make a difference. - DR

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr0s /forum/post/0

Your file might have more of a problem than just resolution - there are reports on videohelp of people playing 1024x576 files without problem.

Changing the connections shouldn't make a difference. - DR

The could be. But...

1) DVP642 can play the same file while DVP5960 can't. Does that mean DVP642 is more 'fault-tolerant'?

2) In this forum, you'll see 5960 NEVER plays an AVI that has more than 720 pixel in the resolution. (so called 'hi-res' divx).

·
Registered
588 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloguys /forum/post/0

DVP642 can play the same file while DVP5960 can't. Does that mean DVP642 is more 'fault-tolerant'?

It simply means the ESS chip can process some files that the MTK chip can't. We already knew that, for example the 642 will play Matroska container files, the 5960 will not. However, overall the MTK is a much more capable chipset. - DR

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.