AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm Curious what the difference is between the 962 and 963 DVD/SACD players. I'm gathering the 963 is the European model and the 962 is the US model as the 962 is not voltage selectable like the SACD1000 was.

The reason I'm asking is that I directly compared the 962 to the SACD1000 and the 962 interlaced signal was pretty much the same but the 962 would get the advantage with the Sage/Faroudja chip for progressive processing. As for the Audio, while the 962 was nice it could not match the SACD 1000 for a clean, well defined and extended sound field and range.

I was disappointed as the Philips literature stated the 962 had the same toroidal coil and dual power supply supplies like the 1000. I looked inside and the 1000 has a toroidal coil and two completely separate power supplies on different boards. The 962 just has a simple power board like in any other cheap player but the Audio decoupling caps are higher grade MUSE capacitors.

I'm wondering if the 963SA actually has the toroidal coil and two separate power boards for Audio and Video like the SACD1000 or if it is equal to the 962SA. I took the 962 back and bought a second 1000 as my priority is with Audio over Video.

Thanks for your help with this.

Kurtis

·
Registered
111 Posts
Kurtis,

The 963sa does NOT have toroidal transformer and discrete buffer stage. It uses a switching power supply and high-speed opamp in the buffer.

It is however, as good if not better sounding than the SACD1000. It also has CD upsampling to 192khz.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ZR
Kurtis,

The 963sa does NOT have toroidal transformer and discrete buffer stage. It uses a switching power supply and high-speed opamp in the buffer.

It is however, as good if not better sounding than the SACD1000. It also has CD upsampling to 192khz.
Does the SACD1000 sounds superior to the 963sa for SACD ? For normal CD, the 963sa probably sounds superior because of the upsampling.

When 192 Khz upsampling is enabled on the 963sa (and also on SP/DIF), the difference between the 963 DACs and those in the upmarket Integra Research RDC-7 makes you wonder why the Integra buys 10 Philips players :) .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.