AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$995 not that I condone full retail but they have a very innovative setup similar to the first "TIVO" displays. Just wanted AVS members to know they can touch and fell the product, even try it and return it if they don't like the unit. The build quality looks excellent as well as the back panel i/o jacks. First unit I have seen with component "in" although only records component interlaced. Would be an interesting test to mate the Philips with RCA's new component out NTSC direct tv receiver or perhaps with the Panasonic TU-HDS20 set to 480i output. I am sure a member of the group will let us all know the details, good and bad. I was just surprised to see it this soon in Wichita, KS--hardly a hotbed for High Tech.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Well we don't have it in Thousand Oaks, CA at Best Buy. The Good Guys, yes, but not BB.

·
Registered
74 Posts
In the Atlanta area, BB did not have them, but Hi-Fi Buys did. They had one out on display, so I bought one. They are also running a promo - if you buy before the end of May, you get 10 free DVD+RW discs via mail. It is also full retail price. 30 Days to return, no restocking fee.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hey Gman,

I went and got the one they had at the west Kellog Best Buy Friday night when I saw your post.

I have been playing with it all wekend.

I think I am going to take it back.

I have 3 DVD players and the DVD+RW's I burned would only work in my Toshiba SD-2700. Which is the one I use on my upstairs 27" TV.

Neither my Malata N996 nor my HTPC would play any DVD+RW's in any of the alternate modes.

They say DVD+RW's are compatible with 99% of DVD players. But I didn't find that to be the case.

Kevin C. :)

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Make sure that you know how to change the bit code on the disc. See the bottom of page 62 (Helpful Hints in the manual). Make sure that its recorded in SP.

I got an inexpensive Sony (supposedly compatible) DVD-ROM for my PC, and it takes forever to load it, but it does. In fact I'm taking it back, it takes so long and will a search for a bona fide replacement.

It makes all the difference on earth. Also have patience, it takes a while for some players to decide. They also say it needs a minimum (10-20 min) recorded.

·
Registered
74 Posts
So far, discs are playing on my Sony S360 and my $70 APEX DVD Player that I got at XMAS last year...

My laptop won't play it though.. I'm taking into the office and am going to try it out, last week our data DVD burner had a bunch of discs that my laptop rejected, but some of our desktops read no problem... I'll update you..

·
Registered
203 Posts
I just bought the 985 as well (full price). So far the +R/W disc's its made work fine with my XBox, but not my PC's ASUS DVD drive.

Based on what I've read about people's experiences with the +R/W format, it's about as compatible as -R/W (60% according to one informal survey). That same survey indicated that -R's were compatible with 90% of other players/drives. Hopefully the +R's will achieve similar results.

The +R's won't arrive for a couple of weeks.

In the mean time, NO MORE TAPE!!!!!!!!!!

God, I've waited a long time to say that :)

David

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
The ASUS is marked as compatible by DVDPlusRW.org for DVD+RW. Try the "load-the-disc-in-the-tray-and-push-2-until-it-shuts" trick. Its described on page 62 of the manual.

·
Registered
451 Posts
The +Rs are already out. Several places have them, I just got some from hpshopping.com for $28 for a five pack. Optodisc DVD+RW media is available for $4.99 each and also already out. I just ordered 20 from smartmedia.com. DVD+RW and DVD+R both work in my Kenwood 5700. DVDplusRW.org has a list of compatible players.

·
Registered
74 Posts
So changing the bitmode cleared up all my problems this weekend. Works great. I also tested out copying my DVD+RW to DVD-R using my PCs DVD burner. Works great. So now I can reuse my +RW, burn onto -R discs and save a ton of money (-R I'm getting for about $1 each)... Tried them out on a bunch of players, plus the 985 and they work flawless... Whoo-Hoo, now I can send home DVD movies to the family for 20% of the cost I thought it was going to cost me....

Next week - importing the DVD+RW and making custom menus using DVDit

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Joe,

What burner and what software are you using?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Has anyone else experienced the issue with the menu being cut off on top on progressive scan output? The other issue is that on 2:35:1 material, the picture is shifted upwards so that the black bar is smaller on top than bottom. I have exchanged the unit, and the new one does exactly the same thing.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Ah, Joe?

·
Registered
74 Posts
kelliot,

sorry got caught up in home duties the past few days... On my PC I have a Pioneer DVR-A04 and I'm using the burning software Pioneer gave me (I think it's a Veritas software)... They also gave me a copy of myDVD with a free upgrade to 3.5.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Joe, what do read the DVD+RW discs with?

Also, do you protect them or use a bit code?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ken,

So I have a mathusita DVD-ROM drive in my PC. I had to change the bitmode (using the Philips) to mode 2 on the RW to get the ROM to read it (page 62 of the manual), my Pioneer DVD-RW had no problem reading it in mode one, but my laptop and PC ROM did.

The software that I got with my Pioneer DVD-RW has the abiliity to import the IFO (chapter makers) and produce a custom menu using them (you have to cut a ton of garbage out if you let the recorder auto-insert chapter markers) and then output a new DVD that dosen't look like the Philips menus.

Haven't messed with any copy protection, so I'm not sure. I'm doing fairly basic stuff with it (offloading from VHS to DVD and Tivo to DVD) for archival and tossing my tapes out.... The authoring software is letting me do most of the extras that I need to be doing (splicing multiple episodes together that I didn't record together, etc)...

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I got a Pioneer DVR-104 that's the successor to the DVR-A04 and it will not read my HP DVD+RW off of the 985. I had a Sony that will but it takes about a year to get in the right mode. I set it to bit code 2.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ken,

Did you check the firmware version on your 104 ? I have an A03 @ the office that had problems until I flashed it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.