AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to buy a Philips Sound Card and I'd like to know what should I buy...

I have two choices: Seismic Edge (5.1, Bulk) and Acoustic Edge (Retail)

Is there any reason I'd choose the Acoustic Edge (besides SPDIF in or SPDIF out w/center or sub at the same time)?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just read ona recent post that the Acoustic Edgge does not support auto-switching between PCM and DD/DTS, but the Dynamic Edge does. Not sure if the Seismic Edge supports it though.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Quote:
Not sure if the Seismic Edge supports it though.
It doesn't, looking at the user manual for it.

It also looks like there isn't a SPDIF in for this card, either. Unlike the Acoustic Edge.

Jason

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Acoustic Edge will not allow dolby digital/dts passthru under Windows XP, I own both cards and have confirmed this. The Seismic Edge is designed to work with XP and permits passthru of both signals without having to go into the menu when changing format. I don't use analog out on either card but have been pleased with both cards otherwise. I will probably upgrade to M Audio Revolution when it ships as I would like to give DVD Audio a try.

·
Registered
685 Posts
go with aopen awd850, it's $24, passes DD/DTS, switches auto to PCM, works with XP

·
Registered
458 Posts
Quote:
Acoustic Edge will not allow dolby digital/dts passthru under Windows XP, I own both cards and have confirmed this.
Ouch! Good thing I was delaying upgrading to XP until I got my nForce2 motherboard.

Ironic thing is, I upgraded to the Acoustic Edge because my Aureal card wouldn't work when I upgraded to Windows 2000.

Jason

·
Registered
216 Posts
Quote:
Acoustic Edge will not allow dolby digital/dts passthru under Windows XP, I own both cards and have confirmed this.
It works fine for me! But you have to manually select it via the control panel. Under the settings tab, select "2 Speakers". Then, on the S/PDIF tab, select "DVD AC3/DTS Passthru". You may need to restart your DVD player software - and only some software players support AC3.

I'm using XP Home, with the v1.89 Acoustic Edge (WDM) drivers.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
miketv, is correct...i get flawless playback with this card under winxp pro.the drivers that come with card will not work for ac3 passthru...you have to download the newest driver!!!the lack of auto-switching is really not that big of a deal...you get used to it.

and i agree,it is too bad theres no aureal sq1500 support under winxp..i bought this soundcard for under $10 shipped when i was using win98se.

brickie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.