AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1951 Posts

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Considering Philips is pushing their own home grown version of dynamic metadata on top of HDR10 with HDMI 2.0b/2.1, it would be very odd if this thing supported Dolby Vision.

So my guess this is yet another UHD Blu-ray player with only HDR10 support and no dynamic metadata support, either via their own flavour of it (since HDMI 2.0a wouldn't support it, and this unit is HDMI 2.0a) or with Dolby Vision support (since it's a standard competing against Philips' own standard).

I assume it will downrez to 1080p. I'd need that since I have no 4K display. Still, if no Dolby Vision support, I'll likely pass, unless this turns out to be some stellar unit in other ways or something.

Gee, another odd sized piece if equipment. No thanks.
I like these smaller sized items. For a disc player, all I want is a flat top and front loading. I hate getting 16" wide devices that actually consist of 50% empty space inside.

With something like this, a standard component sized shelf can house 4 different components. Two side-by-side, plus two more stacked on top.

If this square is too small for some components, I'd still rather have a half width device but with medium depth (eg. 8" wide by one foot deep). That way you could still put two side-by-side but still fit it in most consumer AV cabinets.

---

BTW, how good is Philips with firmware updates? My only other Funai I've bought is a Funai-made Insignia Blu-ray player. I bought it just because it was cheap and it worked very well... until newer incompatible discs came out. The problem is updates were pretty much non-existent with these players and soon they became horribly out-of-date, not working with some discs. Insignia said they couldn't do anything about that, since the firmware updates came from Funai, not Insignia.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Considering Philips is pushing their own home grown version of dynamic metadata on top of HDR10 with HDMI 2.0b/2.1, it would be very odd if this thing supported Dolby Vision.

So my guess this is yet another UHD Blu-ray player with only HDR10 support and no dynamic metadata support, either via their own flavour of it (since HDMI 2.0a wouldn't support it, and this unit is HDMI 2.0a) or with Dolby Vision support (since it's a standard competing against Philips' own standard).

I assume it will downrez to 1080p. I'd need that since I have no 4K display. Still, if no Dolby Vision support, I'll likely pass, unless this turns out to be some stellar unit in other ways or something.

I like these smaller sized items...
Small works for me. I temporarily moved Samsung K8500 from Media Room to try out new Insignia 43" 4K UHD (for $350-no HDR) TV/Monitor. The Philips BDP7503 would take up 1/2 the desktop room.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Funny how its bieng released next month yet seems Philips not talking about it much...

I too was wondering why no further info on the upcoming Philips BDP7501 release. I found this interesting bit about the
SoC chip provider for UHD(HDR) 4K Bluray players.
Of interest is the statement about Mass Production in the second half of 2016.
I'm hoping Philips has the batch they need to meet the annoucement of June 2016 release. We'll see.

"...The MediaTek MT8581 can support Blu-ray, DVD and CD

playback, including the latest BD-ROM format, such as BD-

Live and BonusView. It will allow consumers to both scale up

to 4K from DVD and scale down to a non-4K screen to

accommodate both legacy and cutting-edge screens and

discs. It features HEVC, H.264 and VP9 4K 60p video decoder

for 4K (3840x2160) video content and also MPEG-2, VP8 and

VC-1 2K 60p video decoder for legacy 2K (1920x1080 video

content). For audio decoding, it has capabilities for Advanced

Audio Coding (AAC), Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby

TrueHD, DTS, and DTS-HD master audio, via multi-format

decoding, that can support high quality audio streaming.
With mass production set for the second half of 2016,

MediaTek's MT8581 for UHD 4K Blu-ray players marks the

latest in a series of leading home entertainment products..."

Sources:

http://www.digchip.com/companies_news/2016/2016_01_04 2.php#EN9032004012016-1

http://mediatek.com/en/news-events/...nches-mt8581-for-ultra-hd-4k-blu-ray-players/

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
MediaTek MT8581
How do you know the Philips is using this SoC? Cuz if it is, that would suggest the players wouldn't be out until fall or later, unless Philips got some initial run before everyone else.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
How do you know the Philips is using this SoC? Cuz if it is, that would suggest the players wouldn't be out until fall or later, unless Philips got some initial run before everyone else.

From fudzilla:
http://fudzilla.com/news/39718-samsung-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-player-arriving-early

"...As of the beginning of 2016, there are only three initial 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray disc players to choose from. They include the Samsung UBD-K8500, the Panasonic DMP-UB900 (also available to pre-order for $399 but will cost significantly more), and the Philips BDP7501, launching this Spring with an estimated price “under $400.”

As we wrote on Friday, MediaTek’s octa-core MT8581 will be the SoC of choice to power all three initial Ultra HD Blu-ray players. This SoC will give all three players support for 4K HEVC, 4K H.264 and 4K VP9 decoding at 3840x2160p and also MPEG-2, VP8 and VC-1 decoding at 1920x1080p for legacy video content. All three players also support High Dynamic Range (HDR) and the Rec.2020 wide color gamut space..."

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Maybe fud is right, but back in the day when chasing info on CPU's/cards it seemed it was often not.

·
UHD Addict
37,802 Posts
From fudzilla:
http://fudzilla.com/news/39718-samsung-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-player-arriving-early

"...As of the beginning of 2016, there are only three initial 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray disc players to choose from. They include the Samsung UBD-K8500, the Panasonic DMP-UB900 (also available to pre-order for $399 but will cost significantly more), and the Philips BDP7501, launching this Spring with an estimated price “under $400.”

As we wrote on Friday, MediaTek’s octa-core MT8581 will be the SoC of choice to power all three initial Ultra HD Blu-ray players. This SoC will give all three players support for 4K HEVC, 4K H.264 and 4K VP9 decoding at 3840x2160p and also MPEG-2, VP8 and VC-1 decoding at 1920x1080p for legacy video content. All three players also support High Dynamic Range (HDR) and the Rec.2020 wide color gamut space..."
Considering the chip doesn't come out until the second half of the year. And Sammy and Panny launched their players months ago. Then the Sammy and Panny can't be using the Mediatek chip. And I don't see how the Philips player could be using it either. Unless the started producing it earlier. But I thought I read that the Sammy and Panny players were using their own designed chipset to power their players? So maybe Philips is doing the same thing or they have access to the Mediatek in small quantities?

The Mediatek coming out in the second half od 2016 was supposed to be the reason the Sony UHD BD player was coming out so late.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Maybe fud is right, but back in the day when chasing info on CPU's/cards it seemed it was often not.
muzz,

Geezz...I googled the MediaTek SoC, Philips and found the fudzilla article. After reading your post of fudzilla, I googled them and found a number of complaints about the accuracy of their reporting. It appears your right on track. Sorry if I led anyone astray with the info provided by fudzilla. Just hoping Philips BDP7501 June release is good.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Considering the chip doesn't come out until the second half of the year. And Sammy and Panny launched their players months ago. Then the Sammy and Panny can't be using the Mediatek chip. And I don't see how the Philips player could be using it either. Unless the started producing it earlier. But I thought I read that the Sammy and Panny players were using their own designed chipset to power their players? So maybe Philips is doing the same thing or they have access to the Mediatek in small quantities?

The Mediatek coming out in the second half od 2016 was supposed to be the reason the Sony UHD BD player was coming out so late.

Time will tell...we hope.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
muzz,

Geezz...I googled the MediaTek SoC, Philips and found the fudzilla article. After reading your post of fudzilla, I googled them and found a number of complaints about the accuracy of their reporting. It appears your right on track. Sorry if I led anyone astray with the info provided by fudzilla. Just hoping Philips BDP7501 June release is good.
They may just be right, but I now take that info with a grain....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Finally here!

I just found this information:

4k.com/news/its-finally-here-philips-new-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-player-in-stores-next-month-14698

21 - 40 of 1951 Posts