AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 1954 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Will be interesting if the player actually supports Dolby Vision or not, from the article at 4k.com:
As for its roster of specs and features, the new BDP7501 for starters offers the obvious, which is full 4K Blu-ray disc media support. In addition to this, the compact media player supports HDR media in both the HDR10 and Dolby Vision standards and comes with HEVC (H.265) and VP9 4K content compression support.

·
Registered
311 Posts
According to fellow AVS members that site is not very reliable. A Philips rep via Facebook told me it will but when i replied that they might have mistook that with HDR 10 , they said they will get back to me and never did lol...

·
Registered
89 Posts

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
No mention of Dolby Vision. Too bad, I was really excited to get this player if it supported DV.
Before you write off the player entirely, you should wait for a second source confirming lack of DV. Best Buy's product listing could be incomplete or inaccurate; for example, that page calls the player the "Philips Blu-ray Player with 4K Upscaling."

·
UHD Addict
38,377 Posts
No surprise. If it did they would have been shouting it from the Rooftops.

·
Premium Member
3,362 Posts
Just read a short blurb about this player in the current issue of Sound and Vision. No mention of Dolby Vision, but the MSRP in the article was shown as $350. If so, it could be a very strong alternative to the Samsung K8500 and a decent hold-over until the Oppo players are released.

I'll probably pick one up to use with my Vizio P-series and when the Oppos come out I'll replace both the Samsung and the Philips with those.

·
UHD Addict
38,377 Posts
With the exchange rate with Canada it works out to $430 US currency from the BestBuy Canada site. $550 Canadian currency.

If it runs $350 from BestBut here in the US, that would certainly be a very welcome price. I a curious how it compares to the K8500. With UHD BD playback as well as HDR App playback. I would consider the Philips because of the smaller size. But I won't consider it until there are a bunch of reviews about.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
Does this player really not have a front display? If so, that's would be a deal killer for me. I guess that's the drawback of the form factor, although it doesn't have to be.

It is moot right now though since I don't have a 4K display anyway.

·
UHD Addict
38,377 Posts
Does this player really not have a front display? If so, that's would be a deal killer for me. I guess that's the drawback of the form factor, although it doesn't have to be.

It is moot right now though since I don't have a 4K display anyway.
That's what the display button on the remote it for.

Even the large Samsung UHD BD player doesn't have a display. I can't say I've ever needed one.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
That's what the display button on the remote it for.

Even the large Samsung UHD BD player doesn't have a display. I can't say I've ever needed one.
Really? Lame. Is there at least an on light?

You should check out the reviews of the low end Samsung regular BD players. The number one complaint out there for those low end players is the lack of display.

41 - 60 of 1954 Posts