AVS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 1954 Posts

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
Really? Lame. Is there at least an on light?

You should check out the reviews of the low end Samsung regular BD players. The number one complaint out there for those low end players is the lack of display.
Ah, I see the Samsung has at least a power LED. Better than nothing.

Hopefully the Philips has that too. I don't see one though.

I hope that price gets lower than $400 USD, I can't see paying more for less.
It's supposed to be US$350. In any case, the Samsung UBD-K8500 is CAD$600, but the Philips is CAD$550, so it makes sense the Philips will be US$350 or thereabouts.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Ah, I see the Samsung has at least a power LED. Better than nothing.

Hopefully the Philips has that too. I don't see one though.

It's supposed to be US$350. In any case, the Samsung UBD-K8500 is CAD$600, but the Philips is CAD$550, so it makes sense the Philips will be US$350 or thereabouts.
That would be more appealing. It's so hard to own a 4K HDR TV and not pull the trigger to buy a player.

·
UHD Addict
38,369 Posts
Really? Lame. Is there at least an on light?

You should check out the reviews of the low end Samsung regular BD players. The number one complaint out there for those low end players is the lack of display.
yes there is an on/off light.

Personally I like not having a display. Since it just puts unneeded light in the room if there is no option to dim or turn off.

I have eight devices in my UHD setup and none of them have a display.

I like the Phillips UHD BD player because of the size. That is one thing I really liked about my old Sony BD player. It is very small. And the thing I don't like about the Samsung UHD BD player. It is huge.

Has there been any in depth reviews yet for the Philips UHD BD player? I'm curious how it does with UHD BDs and UHD streaming apsp.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I like the Phillips UHD BD player because of the size. That is one thing I really liked about my old Sony BD player. It is very small. And the thing I don't like about the Samsung UHD BD player. It is huge.
Exactly, I'm not concerned about size, but size and SHAPE. I don't own a curved TV so it would be one item on my open glass system that would not match.

I'm still amazed at slow to market UHD BP are. A new media and a chance to get a hold of the market yet only one available and maybe 2 coming.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
so all the articles about this from May said this would be in stores by June. Is it still on target? I've only seen the Canada Best Buy listing that someone posted here

·
Registered
524 Posts
Sigh, no Dolby Vision support it seems...
No dolby vision chip sets seem to be available for players yet and there are no 4K UHD discs with dolby vision.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I wonder if this player will have a HDR --> SDR conversion tool just like the Panasonic have? I tried to contact a Philips rep yesterday asking about this but the rep obviously didn`t even know what i was talking about, sigh...

If it has, i would be really interested for a purchase.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Even though my K8500 works flawlessly for UHD, I'll be snagging one these as soon as they are out to play around and test. I am interested in the UHD playback, UHD apps, and overall what settings/controls are available. Although, the first movie I will play is the Star Wars BD to make sure there are no red smear/saturation issues like the K8500, haha.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
Btw, on the price, I doubt it's lower than $400 USD. Especially since they are bundling Creed with it.
Considering Xbox 4K is coming out at $300, and the Canadian pricing for the Philips is $50 less than the Samsung, I don't see why the Philips can't be $350 US at launch in the US.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Considering Xbox 4K is coming out at $300, and the Canadian pricing for the Philips is $50 less than the Samsung, I don't see why the Philips can't be $350 US at launch in the US.
agreed, the MSRP for this player in all the upcoming articles is listed at $400. stores usually sell it at a lower price, so $350 would be a nice price

with all the issues people in the Samsung u8500 thread report, and reports of how flimsy the unit is, I'm tempted to go for the Philips
plus I like the form factor on it. a front screen panel isn't as important to me as is functionality, speed, video/audio

and this unit will still play 3D BD correct?

·
UHD Addict
38,369 Posts
agreed, the MSRP for this player in all the upcoming articles is listed at $400. stores usually sell it at a lower price, so $350 would be a nice price

with all the issues people in the Samsung u8500 thread report, and reports of how flimsy the unit is, I'm tempted to go for the Philips
plus I like the form factor on it. a front screen panel isn't as important to me as is functionality, speed, video/audio

and this unit will still play 3D BD correct?
I don't know about it being flimsy. Mine has been rock solid so far and has worked very well. I'm curious what the Philips has to offer by way of the apps. Plus the small size of the Philips looks great.

Reactions: williamwallace

·
Registered
311 Posts
It seems Philips is bieng vague with their specs. Im still bummed that they told me it will have Dolby Vision then i asked are they sure and they never responded lol...

·
Registered
11,540 Posts
Only the 2TB $399 Xbox One S will be available in August. The $299 player will come later this year (I am reading December). The new Xbox may not be able to bitstream audio either.

I am keeping my eye on this Philips player but I feel like Samsung is the most mature player at this point.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I just placed an order. I'm still within my return window for the Samsung, so I'm hoping to compare the two and see which I prefer. I'd give the Samsung a B- so far, it does the job but the remote absolutely stinks and the disc navigation feels really clunky. Plus the Philips does come with a free movie.

Tempted to wait for the Xbox One S, but very leery of the lack of Dolby Atmos support for the current model.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I just placed an order. I'm still within my return window for the Samsung, so I'm hoping to compare the two and see which I prefer. I'd give the Samsung a B- so far, it does the job but the remote absolutely stinks and the disc navigation feels really clunky. Plus the Philips does come with a free movie.

Tempted to wait for the Xbox One S, but very leery of the lack of Dolby Atmos support for the current model.

Where did you order it from? I'm not seeing it anywhere?

61 - 80 of 1954 Posts