AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know this thing is ancient, but now that i have a DVD-recorder, i need to transfer the last few LDs i have.

the problem is that my Philips CDV400 wont play past the half-way point on ANY of my discs. as soon as it reaches half-way (middle of the 12" disc) it automatically "opens."

if that wasn't strange enough, the tray won't eject and stay open... i click eject the tray comes out and then goes back in. the only way i can get it to stay out is by clicking the eject button a few times during this whole "out-in, out-in, out-in" of the tray. finally it just vibrates out and stays open.

i really dont care too much about the tray not staying open, because i can get a disc in it, i just need it to play the entire disc without stopping in the middle.

is there anything i can do? there's no "professional" i can take it to to get fixed...

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
The only Philips players I have schematics for are the CDV-487 and 488. I did not like the 400/600 series as much as the 488.

My actual suggestion would be to purchase an inexpensive Pioneer player to record your LD's and then resale it. That would be cheaper than attempting to fix the problem. the 400 is a 1990 vintage series player. There is a change that one of the servo's just need adjustment but you'll have to decide if you want to put money into fixing it or buying a temporary player for the transfer.

Kurtis

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Kurtis Bahr
The only Philips players I have schematics for are the CDV-487 and 488. I did not like the 400/600 series as much as the 488.

My actual suggestion would be to purchase an inexpensive Pioneer player to record your LD's and then resale it. That would be cheaper than attempting to fix the problem. the 400 is a 1990 vintage series player. There is a change that one of the servo's just need adjustment but you'll have to decide if you want to put money into fixing it or buying a temporary player for the transfer.

Kurtis
thanks very much for the reply!

yeah, i was never really happy with this player, but it's the only one i've ever had, so...

anyway, as for buying a new pioneer... inexpensive is like $300-$500 isn't it? still too high for me. i only have about 15 LDs left, so i'd rather try to fix it myself. could the 488 really be much different than the 400?

other than this problem, it plays (looks) great... until it get's to about the middle of the disc. :-/

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
If your patient you can get something like the CLD-D503 for $100, it doesn't have an AC-3 RF Output but neither does your 400. For $300 - $500 you can get a really nice Pioneer like the CLD-D704 that can near DVD quality with a good mastered LD.

As for the Philips players the 487/488 had separate power supplies for the digital verses analog sections and they used the famous Philips 16-Bit D/A'a where the 400/600 went to the 1-bit D/A which sounds thinner and not as warm.

Kurtis

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.