Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I took a quick look at the 55" Philips Cineos (R) LCoS rear projector unit at Tweeters near Boston University yesterday.

Overall, the image quality was excellent after adjusting the image controls (brightness, contrast, color saturation, & tint) to their normal positions. Initially, the unit was improperly adjusted with tint way off the normal position. This made all colors look wrong. The Tweeter salesperson had no explanation for the wrong adjustment.

The feed was live HDTV sports programming which is a good test for motion performance (with the caveat that real-time MPEG encoding can have source artifacts.) I saw no motion artifacts (e.g. progressive scan conversion, or spatial-temporal scaling). Philips has done a lot of research into video processing algorithms over the years and this had paid off.

I compared the unit to a Samsung DLP-based unit (Texas Instruments Digital Micromirror device) sitting nearby. The Philips unit was slightly sharper and had similar brightness. I'll compare colors next time I visit.

Some negatives: I could not find the on-unit buttons and controls until the salesperson mentioned they are at the top of the unit -placed horizontally. Since the unit was raised up for viewing while standing, they were completely out of view. I see no benefit to non-standard placement of controls. One of my pet peeves for most TV sets: Controls with such a large range that you can make the picture lousy. I can't see any reason to make green or purple faces (or incredibly dark or washed out images). This is a legacy from the days of unstable analog systems which is long past. Engineers - get rid of them. Regards, Dave.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.