AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I bought this system (PHL HTS6500) and has been nothing but a headache for me!
I have a Philips HDTV 42" 1080p flat panel tv with 3 HDMI ports. I have my PS3 connected with 1 HDMI cable, I have my HD cable box connected with 1 HDMI cable, and finally I connected my new home theater system with 1 HDMI cable. My cable box and PS3 were working perfect with the TV internal speakers, but I wanted to get more sound so I purchased this system (PHL HTS6500). But I get no sound from my PS3, Nintendo Wii, and my cable box channels through the Philips theater system.
When I put in a DVD, that is the only time that the HTS works. So, I called philips and they told me that I would have to connect a audio cable from the cable box to the Philips HTS. I don't understand, I thought that HDMI was both audio and video?? So, now I can hear the channels through the HTS, but now can't hear my PS3 or Nintendo Wii through the HTS and don't know how to get everything connected to hear through the HTS??? The philips HTS HDMI port is a output. Please someone help me, I think I have tried everything to set this thing up properly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does your TV not have coaxial cable output? I have a Sharp Aquos and am getting ready to buy the Phillips Home Theater and was checking around to see how it was. If you run everything to your TV such as your WII, PS3 and cable box then run a coaxial cable out from your TV itself to the surround sound would that not work? That is what I am planning on doing because the only way you are going to get input back through the HTS is through coaxial cables. As you mentioned the only HDMI connection is output. Let me know about this.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezl_oo /forum/post/12875145

Ok I bought this system (PHL HTS6500) and has been nothing but a headache for me!
I have a Philips HDTV 42" 1080p flat panel tv with 3 HDMI ports. I have my PS3 connected with 1 HDMI cable, I have my HD cable box connected with 1 HDMI cable, and finally I connected my new home theater system with 1 HDMI cable. My cable box and PS3 were working perfect with the TV internal speakers, but I wanted to get more sound so I purchased this system (PHL HTS6500). But I get no sound from my PS3, Nintendo Wii, and my cable box channels through the Philips theater system.
When I put in a DVD, that is the only time that the HTS works. So, I called philips and they told me that I would have to connect a audio cable from the cable box to the Philips HTS. I don't understand, I thought that HDMI was both audio and video?? So, now I can hear the channels through the HTS, but now can't hear my PS3 or Nintendo Wii through the HTS and don't know how to get everything connected to hear through the HTS??? The philips HTS HDMI port is a output. Please someone help me, I think I have tried everything to set this thing up properly.

Iv got the same set up, that HDMI on the back is output not input. Its for upconverting DVD's only.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
The HDMI from your Philips outputs video to the TV. It is not a two cable. it is only and OUTPUT from the HTIB to the TV. You would need HDMI inputs on the Philips to pass video and audio from the other devices for surround sound.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts