AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a region-free Philips DVDQ50 and I'd like to view my PAL DVDs on my NTSC monitor using a GTH Electronics standards converter. Unfortunately, it doesn't work on Macrovision-encoded video so I'm currently stuck.

I found a site offering hacked firmware for the Philips DVDQ50 which is supposed to disable Macrovision. I was able to download and flash my player, but the instructions to enable the hack suppose I have a 3-digit P-code. My player is P66 so I'm stuck. Does anybody know how to enable the hack, or of an alternative way to disable Macrovision?

·
Registered
28 Posts
There's no trouble. You have two choices. First is to enable progressive PAL, in which case you use 081 for the p-code. Second is to use 066 to run your default player personality with the hacked firmware. I've done both with success, but have settled on using the 081 code and enjoying progressive PAL.

The only hitch with the 081 personality is that it turns your player into a region-3 player. So after you've done that, you'll want to apply the region-free hack. If you don't have access to a a Palm Pilot or programmable remote to apply the region-free code, you'll probably want to stay with 066.

The steps are, in order:

1. load the firmware you want (I'm using the hacked 4.15i)

2. reset the p-code with the play-159XXX000000000 sequence (I'm using 081, even though my machine was originally US-market

3. follow the region-free instructions.

Good luck!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks, thrasymachus, for the additional information on how to enable the firmware (I didn't realize I had to put a "0" before the 66. My screen flashed this time so I know the code was effective.

However, while this may well enable progressive PAL (I can't check this out with my current monitor) it does not disable Macrovision. I've tried P values 66, 70 and 81, followed by the Palm region-free mod, but Macrovision stubbornly remains on.

I'm using the hacked 4.1.5o (loaded no problem) and even tried to convert to the hacked 4.1.5i but I get an error and the player aborts whenever I try to load 4.1.5i. Does anybody know if the hacked code really disables Macrovision?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.