Status
Not open for further replies.
2061 - 2080 of 4792 Posts

·
Registered
14,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillsdaleBob /forum/post/11836951

I've read that this unit doesn't pass through HD programing and that is certainly what the manual says. So I just put a splitter on my coax cable coming from my antenna (a cheap one up in my attic) and run one coax cable from the splitter to my HDTV and the other to the input on my 3575. I also run a HDMI cable from the 3575 to my TV. If I want to watch an OTA show as it is being broadcast I just watch it on the HDTV by clicking "tv" on the TV's remote control. If I want to watch something I've recorded on the 3575 I just click "hdmi" on the TV's remote control. I can certainly watch one show while recording another one this way. Both the TV and the 3575 have no problem being behind the splitter. There is never any pixelation.

Did you actually try setting up the 3575 1st for the antenna coax and using the pass-thru of the 3575 to continue the antenna feed on to the TV?

I've read lots of discussion and comments on our SD DVDRs "not passing thru HD" but always assumed they were talking about the tuner, which is understandable. But, since the coax in/out on the 3575 (any DVDR) is strictly like a passive, no-loss splitter, it seemed logical that whatever signal the DVDR received was just piped out thru the coax out...it doesn't see the SDTV tuner.

I finally found a HD user who hooked up his Panasonic unit and explained how the coax DOES pass thru the HD signal.

If what he says is true, there's no need for using a separate splitter that will reduce signal strength?

I think we're talking about two different (and important) things here: TUNER passthru and RAW SIGNAL passthru???

·
Registered
27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabjxo /forum/post/11837816

Did you actually try setting up the 3575 1st for the antenna coax and using the pass-thru of the 3575 to continue the antenna feed on to the TV?

I've read lots of discussion and comments on our SD DVDRs "not passing thru HD" but always assumed they were talking about the tuner, which is understandable. But, since the coax in/out on the 3575 (any DVDR) is strictly like a passive, no-loss splitter, it seemed logical that whatever signal the DVDR received was just piped out thru the coax out...it doesn't see the SDTV tuner.

I finally found a HD user who hooked up his Panasonic unit and explained how the coax DOES pass thru the HD signal.

If what he says is true, there's no need for using a separate splitter that will reduce signal strength?

I think we're talking about two different (and important) things here: TUNER passthru and RAW SIGNAL passthru???

You might be (probably are) right about this. I originally did just feed the coax from the antenna to the 3575 and had a short coax go FROM to 3575 to the HDTV. HD programing looked great that way too (when I was just passing the feed through the 3575 and using the TV's tuner). But, I could not tell for sure - so went the splitter route. Any definitive answer out there? I'd sure like to know. The manual does NOT make this clear. My signal strength seems adequate even with the splitter - but it would be more convenient not to use it.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Virtually all video equipment that has an RF in and out just passes the RF signal thru. Splitting the coax before the DVDr or going thru it is the same thing The pass thru is not lossless - the signal loss is about the same as the external splitter. For a digital signal it doesn't matter - you either get the signal or not - and neither an external splitter nor a DVDr pass thru will affect such a signal (in terms of the 0s and 1s in the stream - signal strength may be affected slightly differently)l. If you got HD coming in the coax it will be the same HD coming out whether via the splitter or pass thru.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
One thing that really seems to help is using high quality satellite rated quad core cables. I found some cheap but good RG6 at Home Depot that really works and keeps signal loss low on longer runs. I think it was RCA or something but they don't have it anymore, though they sell others that seem to be made as well.

It really helped with signal dropout on digital and ghosting/noise on analog.

When I was using just whatever OLD crap I had I was dropping channels and ghosting really badly, especially the long split run to the box in here which had a hd tuner card for a while.

This is one time that better quality cable does help, from personal experience.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
The Philips 3575/3576 "Active" (Amplified) Coax Passthru

I always wondered how much insertion loss there might be in the DVDR/VCR coax passthru connections (RF in/out loop)...knew there was "some" but had no quantifier. (Generally speaking, a good, standard 2-way splitter has a -3.7dB loss on each output, and the loss increases the more outputs you add.)

Here's a test site post where someone actually measured the loss thru a passive VCR RF loop (same as our DVDRs) and found it to be "less than 1dB" (see post by Sofie).

In fact, the post suggests it could be a net gain if the passthru is "active" which just means it has to be plugged in, not on.

It would be good to know if our DVDRs have a passive or active passthru, which would determine whether we are getting less than 1dB loss or possibly getting a net gain in RF signal!

EDIT: Answered my own question...I unplugged the power cord on my Philips 3575, off at the time, and noticed an immediate degradation in picture quality. Plugged back in and perfect pic again, 3575 still off.

If it were a passive passthru, there would be no noticeable difference in PQ. (Did the same test with my Pioneer DVR-640 and it has a passive passthru.)

The 3575's DVDR RF LOOP IS ACTIVE, AND WE'RE GETTING A LOSSLESS PASSTHRU AND PROBABLY A NET GAIN!

The amplification circuit is a 4dB amp > Low-Pass Filter (LPF) > 2dB amp.

Note: My tests were done with the Philips 3575 and the Pio 640 connected directly to a TV...no other boxes or components in between to block or amplify the effect.

·
Registered
17,223 Posts
But if you use the "pass-through" method, in order to watch the channels on the TV tuner, doesn't the recorder have to be set to channel 3, and wouldn't that conflict (interfere) with the recordings happening simultaneously from a different (line) input from the cable box?

Or will the recorder let you watch one input live while it's recording from another?

·
Registered
14,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski /forum/post/11839916

But if you use the "pass-through" method, in order to watch the channels on the TV tuner, doesn't the recorder have to be set to channel 3, and wouldn't that conflict (interfere) with the recordings happening simultaneously from a different (line) input from the cable box?

Or will the recorder let you watch one input live while it's recording from another?

The recorder doesn't even have to be on to watch TV normally. When you turn the recorder on, you can keep watching the same TV channel but record something on a different channel thru the recorder's tuner.

Recording from a line input is diff. since the STB and recorder tuners are both occupied, but you can still watch the HDD or a DVD show.

Passthru is the way to go, unless you have a STB that encrypts ALL the channels, then the recorder tuner is useless and need not be connected to the antenna coax.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I have read through most of the posts and also looked for a specific thread but couldn't find anything. So, my question is. Has anyone tried to replace the hard drive in this unit in case the original goes bad, and has anyone tried to upgrade and put in a larger drive?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerbum /forum/post/11844798

Has anyone tried to replace the hard drive in this unit in case the original goes bad, and has anyone tried to upgrade and put in a larger drive?

That would void the warranty, so probably nobody is going to start experimenting until the first units are more than a year old. Come back next year.

·
Registered
805 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1348 /forum/post/11828916

I returned my DVDR3575H tonight at my local Wal-Mart. I had also ordered a new one from the Site-To-Store, but I ended up returning it because it also had a May 2007 pack date. Is there anyway I can order this from Wal-Mart online and get the most recently made units?

I spoke to two different people at Philips [I was amazed at how short the wait time was compared to most help lines, and how they gave me ZERO run-around] -- but anyway -- both told me that there is no current pack date that can guarantee a particular unit will not have 'the problem'. Both said the only way to have it fixed for sure was to RMA the unit to Siloam Springs -- which I did.

Note that the key word was 'guarantee'.

I don't know if what they said is true, but if the actual unit assembly is done at multiple locations, or if there are multiple versions of the board in question that may still be in inventory at even a single assembly site, this may indeed be the case. Unless they have very accurate inventory control, it could be easy for an earlier version board to wind up in a later assembled device.

·
Registered
53 Posts
went to walmart today to tell the saleswomen about the philips DVD dvdr3575h/37 recorder I recently purchased....informed her of how easy it was to use and operate...she informed me that they are pulling them all off their shelves to make way for a Sony....if I needed another recorder I would go buy another philips before she took them off the counter....the Sony I just got rid of was not user friendly....it had a 160 GB HD..etc.....didnt really care for it....

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hi folks! While I can't say I've read all 60 pages of this thread, it was most helpful in my decision to buy one of these Philips units. There were a couple things I caught that I can clear up (if they haven't been already):

1. HDTV pass-through on the RG6 works fine. More than fine, actually. I had no signal loss at all by passing the antenna through the DVDR3575H/75.

2. This is the important one: My box DOES do 16:9 correctly! I swear! I just finalized a few minutes of test HDTV footage from yesterday to a DVD+R disc, and popped it into my oldest DVD player and I swear to you it was full screen 16:9. I get true 16:9 when recording to the HDD, recording to DVD+R, *and* after the DVD+R has been finalized.

My user manual still states that it will record to 4:3, but they must have done something to the more recent units. My unit's pack date code is "35 August 2007".

I recorded a few minutes of an HD football game yesterday, which was probably 1080i since it was CBS. I suppose it's possible the unit has more trouble with the aspect ratio on different broadcasts, like perhaps 720p, but frankly I don't see how. I really think they changed something here. Talk about a pleasant surprise!!

Anyway, I love it. Sure, I would have rather had something that could record to the HDD and play back in true HD, but given the price and considering what other options there are (almost none unless you enjoy paying Tivo $180/yr), I think it's great.

If I had ONE complaint to make it would be the transcoding it uses against full HD signals. My Windows Media Center PC does a significanly better job crunching HD down to SD, but then again, it also take me 8+ hours to burn a DVD. Things like the on-screen graphics during the HD football game are overly sharp and just look bad. An algorithm tuned more for smoothness rather than sharpness would have been better ... in my opinion.

Anyway, thanks again for all the great information, and I'm sorry that so many people have had trouble with 16:9. Maybe Philips can update the firmware or something in the older units. Or maybe I'm just on crack. Either way, I'm happy!!!

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Nice first post! Welcome to AVS Forum!

On your #1 and no signal loss, it appears that our 3575s have an "active" RF passthru, which means the RF loop doesn't lose any dB and may even gain a little. Unit must be plugged into power but doesn't need to be on. One reason the pic looks better going thru the 3575?

On your "graphic sharpness" issue, did you try the YCbCr setting in the Setup > HDMI > Format menu just to see if your TV likes that better?

·
Registered
949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp952 /forum/post/11847785

Anyway, thanks again for all the great information, and I'm sorry that so many people have had trouble with 16:9. Maybe Philips can update the firmware or something in the older units. Or maybe I'm just on crack. Either way, I'm happy!!!

Actually, the 16x9 has always been OK with this unit. Part of the confusion was mis-information based on a Polaroid unit, which some people thought was the same. They definitely were not.

When you set up for wide screen, the data is stored on the hard drive in NTSC format which would be 4x3, but it is anamorphic. They preserve all the vertical lines they can, and squeeze the image horizontally. When played back on a wide screen TV, it will be stretched back to the 16x9 format.

The only wide screen issue I am aware of is that they do not set the 16x9 flag bit for the DVD player to read. On a 16x9 TV this is not an issue. The image will be properly proportioned. On a 4x3 TV, the display will not get letter-boxed, so the people will look skinny.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Hello,

Sorry If it this question has already been answered before.

Does this unit record 16:9 in native wide ratio and burn it to a Video Mode DVD+R or DVD-R in the recorded 16:9 ratio?

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Yes. See Posts 2073 and 2075 above.

However, there are some cable/sat boxes or DVRs that won't output a 16:9 WS signal via an anlog output, so only a 4:3 pic gets recorded. If the recorder has Component inputs, those boxes will/might send a full 16:9 signal, but only the 2005 Polaroid 2001G has Component inputs.

It's sort of "messy" situation once you introduce a STB as the source for recording to a SDTV DVDR.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabjxo /forum/post/11849019

Yes. See Posts 2073 and 2075 above.

Wow. Just one post above me and I missed it!
Shame!

Oh another question. Since this player only supports recording DVDs in +VR mode, how does it treat materials that need CPRM protected discs such as copy once material? Does the unit record these materials only to HDD or it can make copies on DVDs too?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakashizuma /forum/post/11848971

Does this unit record 16:9 in native wide ratio and burn it to a Video Mode DVD+R or DVD-R in the recorded 16:9 ratio?

If you have a Rogers, ExpressVu or Starchoice digital STB, check the corresponding forum on www.digitalhome.ca for instructions to get 16:9 anamorphic output for recording via SVideo or composite.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakashizuma /forum/post/11849136

how does it treat materials that need CPRM protected discs such as copy once material? Does the unit record these materials only to HDD or it can make copies on DVDs too?

HDD only.

2061 - 2080 of 4792 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.