Status
Not open for further replies.
2901 - 2920 of 4792 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb0 /forum/post/12629473

I guess that's the general question I was trying to ask too, in a round-about way.

The manual is pretty clear that DivX avi files can only be played from DVD or CD, not even from the USB port. While there is a function to dub from DVD to HDD, I think it only works for recordings made in the 3575, or possibly any +VR format recordings. But certainly not avi files or commercial DVDs.

·
Registered
229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj025 /forum/post/12627516

Help!!! Had machine for 1 week. I have put some DivX movies onto hard drive.I inserted a DVD and was told HDD was full (I have only used about 7Gb).Switched macine off then back on using reset method, now "STARTING" is displayed but that's it, disc won't eject and no menus are displayed.HDD light will go on for a few seconds then DVD seems to spin but nothing kicks in. I have contacted Philips customer service but I'm not holding my breath judging by previous posts.Thanks in advance and apologies if this subject has been covered, I have tried to search this thread honest.

Could you tell us how you put the DivX movies onto the HDD? As amesdp said above, it's not supposed to be possible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry I'm A bit new to all this but I was given a DVD-rw from a friend with DivX movies on it. When I put the disc in and highlighted the title I was given the option to copy (by pressing green button) to HDD or USB. My machine now seems to be busted so I wouldn't recommend it just in case, but you guys probably know more than me.Thanks for all your help but the hard reset is not workingl looks like I'll have to wait for a reply from Philips.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hope I,m on the right thread my DVD recorder has DVDR3575H/31 on bottom of machine. On my remote I have 4 coloured buttons. I purchased mine December 2007.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Okay, I've had this HDD/DVD recorder for a while now, and I find that I really am not using it to anywhere close to it's potential for one primary reason: The lack of an electronic program guide that would allow me to search through the TV listings and program my shows with 1 touch...

yesterday however, I had a cool idea... I have a Samsung DLP tv that has the built in "TV GUIDE" feature that also interfaces with their "G-Link" so that you can have one touch recording of shows that you're looking at on the DLP TV Guide using your VCR. I was thinking that it'd be wicked cool if I could somehow get the Philips HDD recorder to work with Samsung's D-Link.

Unfortunately, it's been a no-go so far. I tried to program the Philips HDD recorder using the methodology that Samsung has for controlling the VCR's with their D-link and so far I've not been able to get my DVDR3575 to respond to the DLink's I/R with any of the Philips codes or with any of the "brand not listed" codes.

I am sure that if we could get this feature to work, that MANY of us would be much happier with our units!!!

(or if you can suggest a comperable unit that does have the ability to record from an on-screen guide, I'm still within my return window since I bought this unit from wal-mart).

Thanks a ton,

Trayson

·
Registered
781 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabjxo /forum/post/12634727

A milestone for this Philips 3575 thread:

The Most Viewed, Most Replied thread in DVD Recorder Forum history!

Might be a milestone but not a good one. In any AVS forum the most posts go to the unit with the most problems. A good unit has this curse, since it will be buried by all the bad ones that have continual questions and concerns. In the beginning, there will be a lot of posts, but these are all from first users and questions about the unit. As it goes along, the problems keep the thread going. So the good ones drop further down the page until they get to page two and are forgotten.

My flat screen is in this category. On the LCD flat screen forum it has disappeared, even though it was the #1 42" 1080p flat screen reviewed by CNET.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beekeeper /forum/post/12636766

Might be a milestone but not a good one. In any AVS forum the most posts go to the unit with the most problems. A good unit has this curse, since it will be buried by all the bad ones that have continual questions and concerns. In the beginning, there will be a lot of posts, but these are all from first users and questions about the unit. As it goes along, the problems keep the thread going. So the good ones drop further down the page until they get to page two and are forgotten.

My flat screen is in this category. On the LCD flat screen forum it has disappeared, even though it was the #1 42" 1080p flat screen reviewed by CNET.

WOW, thanks for pointing that out... another record for this thread and the Philips 3575:

Most Viewed, Most Replied thread in DVD Recorder forum history...

WITH LEAST AMOUNT OF SERIOUS PROBLEMS!

Thanks, again!

·
Registered
11,543 Posts
I disagree(with beekeeper). If you look at most of the posts on the 3575 you will see most are questions about features/operation of the unit. Not problems.

From what I've seen with this unit is that it is MORE reliable than anything currently out there. That's not saying it never breaks, but compared to the norm in digital tuner DVDR's, it's defiantly more reliable. I personally know I've had better luck with my 3575 than with my Panny's.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I tried some experiments with DivX discs to see if I could see anything like the copying functions jj025 reported, but no dice. If he did see some function to copy to HDD or USB on the 3575, it must have been some kind of fluke to do with a strange DVD format. Or perhaps he's mistaken about it being a DivX disc?

BTW, I always notice a few new things when I'm experimenting or scanning the manual:

- I belatedly noticed that the Chapter +/- buttons skip to the end/beginning of the HDD title list (not mentioned in the manual). Too bad they weren't a little smarter to provide a page +/- function instead of forcing us to cursor-arrow through the titles one at a time!

- I see that HDD recordings which are flagged "Copy Once" are supposed to have a special icon that appears on the index image in the HDD title list. Has anyone ever seen that?

- Hey, the manual says that you can start overwriting an existing DVD recording at an arbitrary point in the middle of a title. Wow, a DVD recorder that can overdub existing recordings!

·
Registered
14,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj025 /forum/post/12636398

Hope I,m on the right thread my DVD recorder has DVDR3575H/31 on bottom of machine. On my remote I have 4 coloured buttons. I purchased mine December 2007.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amesdp /forum/post/12638201

I tried some experiments with DivX discs to see if I could see anything like the copying functions jj025 reported, but no dice. If he did see some function to copy to HDD or USB on the 3575, it must have been some kind of fluke to do with a strange DVD format. Or perhaps he's mistaken about it being a DivX disc?

Note the model no. in jj025's post: 3575H/31, a EU/UK version.

The U.S. model is 3575H/37.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabjxo /forum/post/12638516

Ah, that explains it. The European models often have extra features or fewer copy protection restrictions than U.S. models. For example the UK model of my Panasonic plasma TV can record digital HD directly to an SD card - but that feature is removed from the firmware here.

·
Registered
229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabjxo /forum/post/12638516

The U.S. model is 3575H/37.

Beat me to it wabjxo. I was just trying to search the Philips site to find the /31 model and found it mentioned on one page, but could never find any other links. That's because I was on the US site not the UK. I googled it and was finding it on european sites. I looked it up and sure enough his remote has some colored buttons on the 2nd row from the top.

Too bad I still have no idea how to help.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would like to be able to put a new, simple menu on DVDs I have created with the Philips recorder (and get rid of the empty title) before finalizing the disc. Is there a DVD authoring software which does the basics, nothing fancy, which is free or inexpensive? Anyone here who has used what I am looking for?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,916

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabjxo /forum/post/12634727

A milestone for this Philips 3575 thread:

The Most Viewed, Most Replied thread in DVD Recorder Forum history!

Thanks wabjxo for all your helpful posts. I've been following this thread ever since I started it and have been AMAZED about how much I can learn from other users.

I finally broke down and bought one in Oct and have no major complaints. An occasional lip-sync problem when playing from the HDD, but haven't had a chance to figure out what might cause it. Might be an issue with my TV?!?!

After some initial skepticism, the 3575 has even passed the wife test. One use of that PAUSE LIVE TV button and she was sold.

Thanks again to everyone for all the helpful posts.....Mike

·
Registered
14,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfm99 /forum/post/12643299

Thanks wabjxo for all your helpful posts. I've been following this thread ever since I started it and have been AMAZED about how much I can learn from other users.

I finally broke down and bought one in Oct and have no major complaints. An occasional lip-sync problem when playing from the HDD, but haven't had a chance to figure out what might cause it. Might be an issue with my TV?!?!

After some initial skepticism, the 3575 has even passed the wife test. One use of that PAUSE LIVE TV button and she was sold.

Thanks again to everyone for all the helpful posts.....Mike
HEY, MFM99... the originator of this MONSTER thread!

Just look at all the fun you started. It seems like only yesterday.

Remember the first 5 pages or so of speculation, comparing the 3575 to all the other Philips of the past? I think they got this one right!

·
Registered
2,200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfm99 /forum/post/12643299

...An occasional lip-sync problem when playing from the HDD, but haven't had a chance to figure out what might cause it. Might be an issue with my TV?!?!...

I've had that problem a couple of times in the past.

It was always with recordings made from the local

PBS DTV station, so I figured it was the station and

not my 3575.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hey All,

First, I'm glad to have made numerous contributions (mostly questions that were answered by wabxjo and others!) to this amazing thread.

Second, my unit is WORKING!!!!!!!!!

I got everything dubbed, leaving commercials in the last two shows that just would not cooperate, deleted everything off the HDD, went through the reset as described earlier, and recorded, edited and dubbed several football games. Works great! No problems at all! No red circles with a slash through it on Scene Delete!

Now, I haven't taped any 30-minute, back-to-back shows yet, but I will soon. But I haven't seen any buggy behavior at all in the past three days. I'm very encourage. So encouraged, in fact, that I went to Wal-Mart and picked up my third 3575. If that's not an endorsement, I don't know what is!

I'm so reformed that I'm dubbing shows as soon as possible, keeping the HDD empty if possible. It's pretty easy right now since I'm off work for the holidays. We'll see what happens when real life kicks back in. After what I went through, I think I will be reformed permanently!

This is only my second brand of DVD recorder. I bought a Sanyo about four years ago, and it was/is horrible. I still use it as an emergency backup (when there are 3-4 football games on at the same time), but it's just not nearly as easy to use. The menus are horrid, the features are poor, it's just not a great unit. Though it still works, so I shouldn't complain too much. But I'm really impressed with the Philips' unit. I have used my two for dozens and dozens of shows over the past three months, and other than me messing things up by filling up the HDD, they've worked beautifully. Sure, there are a few things I'd change if I could, but overall, it's a great machine. Thanks, Philips!

And I'd like to thank wabxjo for providing SO MUCH help to me and many others. Much better, more insightful support than I got from the FAQ-readers at Philips (who generally did try to help and I didn't have to sit on hold at all, so kudos to them). I'd also like to thank my parents, the Academy, and my fans, without whom none of this would be possible.

Chris

2901 - 2920 of 4792 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.