Status
Not open for further replies.
3941 - 3960 of 4792 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bron /forum/post/14355184

I haven't done this specifically for the Phillips, but I have for other recorders (but the mov format was not form a digicam). Anyway, it may seem obvious, but make sure you convert to the proper resolution and bit rate for the Phillips (whatever that is - I don't have the manual handy, but it's usually something close to the standard DVD resolution and a bit rate less than 4k, I think). The DivX file you create has to be within specifications. Digital cameras capturing movies often use funny frame rates and resolutions.

This may not be your problem, but it's worth checking. Good luck!

It turnes out to be fairly easy. DivX.com sells a set of conversion utilities for $15. I downloaded it last night and tried it out. It failed on the mov files. I contacted technical support there and they pointed to a no-charge companion product called Dr. Divx which converted them to divx movies and they play beautifully on the Phillips. No settings to play with, as well.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshersDad /forum/post/14362665

Hi Wajo...yet again you're the Master...

I checked the Video setting (I didn't even realize there was an option for Progressive Scan ON or OFF). It was off, so I turned it on. It's too early to tell if the stripes are really gone (it's really hard to spot except when there are large areas of white or black)). But the picture is SO MUCH SHARPER over the component connection than before! I thought I had a great picture before, but this is an order of magnitude improved: much better than I ever thought would be possible with a component connection to a 720p set.

Whatya know, lucked out again!

Hope the lines are gone, and not just "better-looking" lines!

·
Registered
13,293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/14362891

Whatya know, lucked out again!

Hope the lines are gone, and not just "better-looking" lines!

Good call. That was non-obvious.

Can you actually set progressive/interlaced on the HDMI? I thought the two units communicated to automatically send the highest quality the display is capable of.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi guys,

Quick question...

I want to get one of these and daisy chain it along with my Pio's, using the coax cable.

Will the machine pass through all the NTSC signals so my Pio's will be ok? Or alternatively, will the Pio's pass through the ATSC signal so the Philips will get what it needs?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel711 /forum/post/14359858

WAY too long! While I've heard that any HDMI longer than 3' may cause problems, you may get away with 6', MAX.

I've been hearing nothing but problems with HDMI, while very little or no improvement in PQ over component. I can live without it....for now.

According the the HDMI web site, the acceptable length of the HDMI cable depends on the gauge of the wire.

Q. What is the current Cat 1, Type A maximum cable length?

15 meters for a AWG22, 12 meters for AWG24, and 10 meters for a AWG26. For Cat 2, the maximum seems to be 5-8 meters

So, if you want to run a long HDMI cable, get one with a larger gauge, that is, a lower number.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson /forum/post/14364837

Good call. That was non-obvious.

Can you actually set progressive/interlaced on the HDMI? I thought the two units communicated to automatically send the highest quality the display is capable of.

Yes, there's a remote button that you can use to select 480p, 720p, 1080i or 1080p output via HDMI.

That's good for me cuz I get my best pic sending 480p to both my Vizio 47" 1080p LCD and Vizio 37" 720P LCD (in diff. rooms), both of which apparently do a better job in upscaling my ANALOG COMPOSITE cable TV-watching signal than my 3575's; however, my commercial DVDs do play better with upconverting their digital Component (YCbCr) video. Other people with diff. TV service and TVs than mine do report better results with upconverting their TV-watching signals... upconverting seems to be a mixed-bag and depends a lot on what your signal source is?

·
Registered
14,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred999 /forum/post/14364873

Hi guys,

Quick question...

I want to get one of these and daisy chain it along with my Pio's, using the coax cable.

Will the machine pass through all the NTSC signals so my Pio's will be ok? Or alternatively, will the Pio's pass through the ATSC signal so the Philips will get what it needs?

I run my Philips 3575 coax passthru thru my Pio 640 and on to the TV so both the 640 and TV get the raw incoming cable signal to do what they want with it, as described here.

Note that the Philips 3575/76 has an amplified coax passthru, so I place my Philips 1st on the coax so all downstream components can benefit from the amplified signal... some people have reported a 20% better pic, one even saying he "got a new TV" just from the improved signal strength.

I've also run composite line outputs to my Pio 640 to record widescreen programs from my 3575's digital tuner so I could use the unique editing capabilities of the Pio on recorded programs, as described here.

I've also used the Pio 640 to make finalized, ready-to-play anywhere Backup copies of 3575 DVDs in high-speed.

They make a great combination!

·
Registered
14,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred999 /forum/post/14368232

By the way, you mentioned the Philips amplifies the signal on pass-thru - any idea if the Pio's do any amplification?

Nope. Less than -1dB loss thru a typ VCR/DVDR passive passthru like the Pios and Pannys.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi guys,

When I had a VCR, it had a TV/VCR switch that gave me the choice of sending to the TV what was playing on the VCR or what the tuner was set for, versus just passing through what was on the antenna cable.

This device doesn't have that. Does that mean it sends both at the same time?

Since I have more than one tv connected to the same output, and the DVDR is upstairs, its tuner might be set to channel 11 or 11.1, but when I'm downstairs and the it turns 6 o'clock, I might want to watch the weak channel 22, instead of the DVDR tuner channel 11. Because it's weak I need the signal from the antenna in the attic. Will the whole array of antenna signals be passed through to my tv at the same time the tuner in the dvdr is tuned specifically to 11 or 11.1?

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/14372433

MMikeM, this post, 1st sketch, shows how to connect and explains how to get the antenna and internal stuff to the TV.

Connected the way shown will allow you to watch ch. 11 on the DVDR cuz you've got a line output from it to the TV, then switch to straight TV using your TV control to watch ch 22 coming from the same antenna.

Thanks, Wajo. I see I left out a lot that should have been in my question. Until I run a lot more wires, and get TVs with line input (and not just antenna input), what I do is take the coaxial output only, run it through an RF modulator, and run that to all my analog tvs.

Is there any chance that all of the antenna input to the 3576 gets passed-through to the coaxial output and modulated at the same time that the chosen station on the 3576** gets output and modulated?

**whether analog or digital

Thanks again.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMikeM /forum/post/14373140

Thanks, Wajo. I see I left out a lot that should have been in my question. Until I run a lot more wires, and get TVs with line input (and not just antenna input), what I do is take the coaxial output only, run it through an RF modulator, and run that to all my analog tvs.

Is there any chance that all of the antenna input to the 3576 gets passed-through to the coaxial output and modulated at the same time that the chosen station on the 3576** gets output and modulated?

Not having used a modulator on the 3575/76, I might be learning something new. I didn't think the 3575/76 could output ANY signal thru its coax... that was just a straight passthru of the incoming signal.

I think you're saying you CAN see channels or recorded stuff from the 3576 thru its coax connection using a modulator? That seems improbable since you CAN watch something on a TV using its tuner while playing something from the 3576 via a line output. If it sent that same signal thru the coax, the incoming signal thru the coax would clash with the signal the 3576 is ALSO sending thru the coax?????????????

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
MMikeM, check pg 16 of the manual where it shows how to connect an RF modulator with coax and composite cables, which seems to indicate both signals will go thru the modulator and on to the TV via the coax out to TV?

Not sure how it works, tho, as far as "passthru" vs 3576 channels, etc.

·
Registered
949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/14374538

MMikeM, check pg 16 of the manual where it shows how to connect an RF modulator with coax and composite cables, which seems to indicate both signals will go thru the modulator and on to the TV via the coax out to TV?

Not sure how it works, tho, as far as "passthru" vs 3576 channels, etc.

I had a modulator hooked up for a DVD player and a TV with only an RF input. The A/V outputs of the player fed the modulator A/V inputs, and the antenna fed the modulator RF input. The modulator RF output fed the TV antenna input.

When the player was off, the modulator passed thru the antenna feed.

When the modulator detected signal on the A/V inputs, because the player was on, the modulator would output the signal on the RF output, on channel 3 or 4, depending on a switch setting on the modulator. When the player was on, only the player signal would be available on the modulator RF output. It did not mix in the antenna feed.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMikeM /forum/post/14373140

Based on kenavs's explanation of a modulator's operation above, I'm wondering why using a VCR wouldn't be just as good.

Run the coax to the 3575/76 and thru the VCR to the TV, then a line connection from 3575/76 to VCR. Then, set the VCR to the 3575/76's line input and leave it there. Then, the raw OTA/cable signal should just pass thru when the VCR is off. When you turn the VCR on, you can use the VCR TV/Video control (or similar button name) to switch to "TV" for the raw OTA/cable feed thru the 3575/76 passthru, OR to "Video" for the 3575/76 stuff (menus, channels, HDD and DVD).

With this setup and the 3575/76 1st on the coax, you can still record one channel on the 3575/76 and simultaneously watch a channel on the TV when the VCR is set for passthru ("TV").

The only thing I still wonder about is the note in the manual to NOT run the 3575/76 output thru a VCR or you might get a "bad pic"... I'm thinking this might only be for copy-protection/DRM reasons thinking the VCR might be more susceptible?

(People reading this should be aware that this discussion is only for people with an old TV that has ONLY a single RF/coax connector... no line inputs for normal setup of a 3575/76.)

·
Registered
817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/14376914

The only thing I still wonder about is the note in the manual to NOT run the 3575/76 output thru a VCR or you might get a "bad pic"... I'm thinking this might only be for copy-protection/DRM reasons thinking the VCR might be more susceptible?

Right you are. Macrovision.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plplplpl /forum/post/14376994

Right you are. Macrovision.

Aha!

I wonder if that's just for playing tapes, but using the VCR passthru just for watching 3575/76 TV channels or recorded stuff from the 3575/76, everything would be OK... normal-normal!?

3941 - 3960 of 4792 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.