AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
4761 - 4780 of 4792 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just tried a different authoring program, same results. Can you confirm that non-VR RW discs are supported in dubbing to HDD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/18140932

It apparently doesn't like the computer-generated disc or it has some formatting that acts like copy-protections (?). I guess you'd have to set up a separate player with line connections between the two, then play/record like copying a tape.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Stanton /forum/post/18141363

I just tried a different authoring program, same results. Can you confirm that non-VR RW discs are supported in dubbing to HDD?

If not, I may just burn to +R, dub, and discard the disc.

Yes, I do it all the time, but from discs created in my Philips, Magnavox or Pioneer recorders.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The discs created in the recorder are in DVD+VR format. So, I just recorded it in that format in my PC and now it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/18141458

Yes, I do it all the time, but from discs created in my Philips, Magnavox or Pioneer recorders.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Stanton /forum/post/18142983

The discs created in the recorder are in DVD+VR format. So, I just recorded it in that format in my PC and now it works.

Outstanding!

If you ever need more info on your 3575, click #1 in my signature for a list of the many help files available. That thread is now the main one for people with the Philips 357x or Magnavox 2080 or 2160 machines.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had my Philips DVDR3575H for over a year. It's been working fine, as always. I've begun the rather large project of transferring stuff I'd recorded to VCR tapes over the years to DVD now, recording them first to the HD then, after editing, to DVD (just as I do with newly recorded programs).

Things had been going fine until this morning when I got an error message during the finalizing process. I thought maybe it was the disc, but when I tried to start the dubbing process over again on a new disc, it gave me another error message about not being able to record to that disc either. I finally had to give up and get ready for work.

Well, when I got home I tried to finalize the original disc again. No luck. Error message again. So, I tried dubbing the shows to a new disc again. This time it went through the entire dubbing process fine. It allowed me to change the title menu pictures on the DVD fine. It allowed me to change the disc title fine (all steps I usually take in preparing a disc). I told it to finalize. Error message again (aargh). This time, I wrote down the error message:

"Recording error

Can not record on this disc.

E 9 28040901"

Anyone know what the problem might be? Again, it's been working fine up to this point. I was dubbing stuff to discs right up to the night before (and with the very same new batch of discs).

Thanks,

David Y.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, this *may* turn out to be a case of, "Never mind." Fourth time trying (fourth new, blank disc), it finished the finalizing process. The only thing I did different was take the blank disc off the bottom of the stack this time. So perhaps there were a few bad discs in a row? Does that sound plausible? I'm still not sure why it would let be dub the programs to the disc, change the disc title, etc. and only hit a snag when I was finalizing, though.

I'll keep at it and will report back should the problem arise again. (I *really* don't want to have to buy a new DVR right now. My fear was/is that the DVD drive might be going bad on me.)

David Y.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi. Thanks for the reply. I really don't think that it's either of those issues, though. I'm aware of the not-being-able-to-finalize-when-there-is-a-timer-setting-in-less-than-an-hour issue. I've run into that before but in that situation it doesn't allow you to even *start* the finalizing process. (I use the momentarily changing the timer setting just long enough to finish the finalizing, then switching it back trick when that happens.) In this case, it would start the finalizing (the little progress bar would start to fill out on the bottom of the screen, from left to right as usual), only to suddenly interrupt the process with that error message I copied and posted here.

As for the HDD being too full, it's only half full at the moment. I've finalized over a hundred discs so far, most of them with far less empty HDD space at the time.

As for the HDD being too fragmented, I guess that's a possibility. Isn't deleting the programs from newest to oldest the only way to unfragment the drive, though? At least, I recall reading that somewhere. And I'm not sure I see how a fragmented drive could interfere with finalizing DVDs. (Could you please elaborate?)

Again, if the problem continues (turns out not to be bad DVDs), could it be a sign that the DVD drive is starting to fail? If so, would it only show in the finalizing like this? What signs does the unit give you that drive is wearing out (if anyone has had it happen to them)?

Thanks!

David Y.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
AFAIK, no one has worn out a DVD drive in a Philips 357x or Mag 2080/2160.

E9 is an error indicating some special data is missing... "NV_PCK/RDI_PCK is not in encoded data" whatever that means.

Do you use 16X discs exclusively, or do you have some slower-speed discs you can try, even if RW?

JFTHOI
Press SKIP 321 buttons on remote (all within 3 sec), which brings up a screen with DVD-WR/-RD times (hrs:min). Exit with Back button.

·
Registered
4 Posts
"AFAIK, no one has worn out a DVD drive in a Philips 357x or Mag 2080/2160."

Okay. That makes me feel a bit better.

"E9 is an error indicating some special data is missing... "NV_PCK/RDI_PCK is not in encoded data" whatever that means."

I'd occasionally also get an "E 22" error message, which I believe is another disc (DVD) reading error. Or, at least, I think I read that somewhere online. Maybe (hopefully) it was indeed just a few bad DVDs. I've never come across three bad ones in a row before though. (I think I've had it happen maybe *twice* before in the entire year plus that I've been using the DVR, and one of those times I later figured out it wasn't the disc at all but the thing about not being able to finalize with less than an hour before a timed program beginning.)

"Do you use 16X discs exclusively, or do you have some slower-speed discs you can try, even if RW?"

I'm at work so I can't check which kind of discs that I've been using. Just the standard DVD-R, I think. I can't remember the speed, but I presume 16X like you say. I buy them usually in the 50 or 100 spindle packs and, like I said, have never really had any problems with them. I dub everything to them at SP (high speed dub) and the picture quality is fine (a bit less so on the stuff that I'm transferring from VHS, of course). All I have is the most recent 100 pack that I bought. I'd recently run out and gone out and bought a new pack. (I don't think that I have any RW DVDs.)

"JFTHOI
Press SKIP 321 buttons on remote (all within 3 sec), which brings up a screen with DVD-WR/-RD times (hrs:min). Exit with Back button."

Okay. Thanks. I'll try that some time.

I left the machine dubbing to another disc when I left for work this morning. Hopefully I won't have any problems editing and finalizing the disc when I get back home tonight.

David Y.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngtrek /forum/post/18146076

I'd occasionally also get an "E 22" error message, which I believe is another disc (DVD) reading error. Or, at least, I think I read that somewhere online. Maybe (hopefully) it was indeed just a few bad DVDs.

It might be good for you to check the Media ID (MID) on the discs you've been using to see if they might be Class 2 or even Class 3 (Crap) according to digitalfaq.com. Here's a help file on the onboard utility the 3575 has for checking the MID.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngtrek /forum/post/18146076

wajo: "Do you use 16X discs exclusively, or do you have some slower-speed discs you can try, even if RW?"

I'm at work so I can't check which kind of discs that I've been using. Just the standard DVD-R, I think. I can't remember the speed, but I presume 16X like you say. I buy them usually in the 50 or 100 spindle packs and, like I said, have never really had any problems with them. I dub everything to them at SP (high speed dub) and the picture quality is fine (a bit less so on the stuff that I'm transferring from VHS, of course). All I have is the most recent 100 pack that I bought. I'd recently run out and gone out and bought a new pack. (I don't think that I have any RW DVDs.)
Here's another help file on DVDs with some interesting info on DVD Speed that points to using lower-speed discs whenever possible.

You might be suddenly getting a bad combo of high-speed discs (requiring 40% more burn power) and bad media ID?

·
Registered
3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBR_999 /forum/post/18139436

I recently have experienced macroblocking with the network channels (4.1, 7.1, 9.1) on my Philips 3575. I have the main cable running directly into the unit and another cable from the pass-thru to the TV. Pass-thru reception works fine. But while watching via the tuner I get a breakup in the picture and momentary sound loss every few minutes.

Does this mean the tuner is toast?

My 3575 is connected exactly like yours and I had the same problem with the network channels - specifically HD programs. It turned out the signal strength from Comcast was TOO STRONG for the Philips tuner with HD digital signals. Inserting in-line attenuator(s) resulted in perfect reception and recording. I bought four of them (3, 6, 8, and 10dB) to cover a 3dB to 27dB range, and just kept experimenting with different combinations until I found the lowest value to eliminate breakup.

·
Registered
11 Posts

I find that hard to believe, especially in my present situation. I was looking back here to see if anyone had managed to cob in a standard computer-type DVD burner, but I guess I'll try to order another Magnavox 2160 to minimize down time.

I've got a 3575h that I've had since about September 2007. Skip 123 shows 477 hours writing DVDs and 1318 hours reading them. For several months now I've been noticing more wasted disks than usual. I've also got a 3576h and a Mag 2160MW9A and this is giving a lot more errors than those. This 3575 was my first one, and now it's devoted to recording from PBS where there aren't many commercials to edit out. It's burned maybe 1000 DVDs.

I've had several CD burners go bad over the last 10 years or so and this is the way they went, just higher and higher error rates with more wasted disks until I finally got sick of it and replaced. This isn't so easy to replace I suspect. About 4 or 5 times in a row now I've gotten "Can not record on this disc" errors trying to get stuff off it, new Sony disks each time. I know I can dub to another recorder or maybe swap drives between the 3675 and the 3576 to get it off, but things get pretty busy here at times, and sometimes I'm actually recording 3 channels on the 3 recorders. It's just a hobby that's gotten out of hand since I've retired.

I read once in a thread somewhere that as the lasers age (including the possiblility that a seal in there goes bad) they have less output. It takes more calibration time to get them going, which wastes more of the calibration area on the disk. I'm seeing this error both trying to write data and trying to finalize. If I get it burned and try to finalize in another recorder I may still get the "can not record" error there if the 3576 has used up all the calibration space.

So, I'm wondering if people can post hours of laser time after which things are still working. Also if anyone has managed to get a regular computer DVD drive hooked up, even if it takes a hacksaw and Dremel, and maybe wiring an adapter. Are they normal ATA/IDE drives?

Thanks. I used to read these threads a lot more before I got stuck with dial-up. Sorry if these questions have been answered.

Alan

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
 Here's a help file with pics on replacing the DVD drive ($67.99).

A std 40-pin drive won't work... I tried and my pics in that help file show why.

Farther down, that help file also has some (dated) stats on DVD usage by some people who reported them.

Before replacing, I'd try some 8X Taiyo Yuden from supermediastore.com first, or Verbatim 8X if you can find them. Here's a help file on recommended DVDs and where to get them.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab1jx /forum/post/18367667

I find that hard to believe, especially in my present situation. I was looking back here to see if anyone had managed to cob in a standard computer-type DVD burner, but I guess I'll try to order another Magnavox 2160 to minimize down time...

I've had several CD burners go bad over the last 10 years or so and this is the way they went, just higher and higher error rates with more wasted disks until I finally got sick of it and replaced. This isn't so easy to replace I suspect...

So, I'm wondering...if anyone has managed to get a regular computer DVD drive hooked up, even if it takes a hacksaw and Dremel, and maybe wiring an adapter. Are they normal ATA/IDE drives?

Alan

The DVD Drives in the 2160 are proprietary in design and do not interchange with computer DVD burners.

According to Funai the DVD Drive and its associated Circuit Board Assembly (CBA) must be replaced together as a module.

Earlier this month I contacted Funai Service Parts and purchased a spare DVD Drive/CBA module (N78F8EUN) for the original 2160 version (of 2008 manufacture). My thought is that this module might also serve as an upgrade for my earlier Magnavox 2080 or Philips 3575 and 3576 models. (There might be an unintended consequence of using a 2160 DVD Drive/CBA module on a Philips 3575 or 3576 in that the Philips might no longer recognize the Philips remote.)

The 2160 "A" version (of 2009 manufacture) uses a different model DVD Drive/CBA module (N78F0FUN) with a revised operating system and support for the SATA hard drive whereas the original 2160 version uses a PATA hard drive.

The photos of my spare DVD Drive and its associated CBA are found in these posts:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post18290205

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post18290219

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I'm new to this forum and I need some advice. I just installed a working seagate 400gb drive (ST3400832A) into my Philips 3575 and I've run into a really weird problem. When a timed recording starts from the machine powered off it starts recording at the right time but the picture is all messed up, for 14 seconds exactly! Then it hangs for a couple of minutes before I get "System Error S 2". I then have to unplug it to reset. This only happens when the player is off and the time kicks in from that state. When the machine is on and I set a time recording that starts immediately, or when I press record directly, it works fine.

It's acting like the hard drive isn't ready to record, although it tries. The unit isn't allowing enough time for the hard drive to get ready or something. I'm wondering if there's a way to make an adjustment somewhere that will fix this, like adjusting the power-up defaults on either the machine or the drive. The WD drive that can with it worked fine. Does anybody have suggestions?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I don't think anybody has reported that sort of issue with a upgraded drive yet. Maybe your drive draws too much power from the thing and it takes a bit to stabilize. The refurbed 250 I got from woot and used in my Polaroid, then my 3575 is still going fine and has no issues so far. You could always try the external case thing route and then the power draw wouldn't be a issue if that has anything to do with your problems.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcshaman /forum/post/18401687

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I need some advice. I just installed a working seagate 400gb drive (ST3400832A) into my Philips 3575 and I've run into a really weird problem. When a timed recording starts from the machine powered off it starts recording at the right time but the picture is all messed up, for 14 seconds exactly! Then it hangs for a couple of minutes before I get "System Error S 2". I then have to unplug it to reset. This only happens when the player is off and the time kicks in from that state. When the machine is on and I set a time recording that starts immediately, or when I press record directly, it works fine.

It's acting like the hard drive isn't ready to record, although it tries. The unit isn't allowing enough time for the hard drive to get ready or something. I'm wondering if there's a way to make an adjustment somewhere that will fix this, like adjusting the power-up defaults on either the machine or the drive. The WD drive that can with it worked fine. Does anybody have suggestions?

Did you format the hard drive with the SKIP 079 utility?

Information concerning the SKIP 079 utility is found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...stcount=39#079

Following that formatting make a brief hard drive test recording in order to become operational.

4761 - 4780 of 4792 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.