Status
Not open for further replies.
4781 - 4792 of 4792 Posts

·
Registered
14,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcshaman /forum/post/18401687

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I need some advice. I just installed a working seagate 400gb drive (ST3400832A) into my Philips 3575 and I've run into a really weird problem.

As Dartman suggested, it might be a power issue since that drive uses the highest seek power I've seen for any drive for the PhilMag machines, 12.40W, as listed here.

Also, since it's a PATA drive, maybe it has something to do with the jumper position for Master/Slave/Cable Select etc.?

In fact, the product sheet (pdf link on linked page) shows the startup 12V current is 2.8A, and I know these machines have a 2.0A fuse on the power supply PCB, so I'm not sure how that works???
The OEM Seagate is 2.0A startup.

In fact, ALL of the drives listed in the upgrade help file are 2.0A startup.

Personally, I wouldn't use a drive with that power-hog profile in my 3575 or 2160. YMMV.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/18402145

Also, since it's a PATA drive, maybe it has something to do with the jumper position for Master/Slave/Cable Select etc.?

During my hard drive upgrade project for my Magnavox 2080 (of July 2007 manufacture) I found the original Western Digital hard drive set as Cable Select so that's how I set the new Seagate hard drive from your list of recommended hard drives.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Yep, that's what I found with mine as well so that's how I set it. The drive I used was originally built for a earlier series of DVR type boxes and was just a bigger version of the Polaroids 80 gig that it originally had in it.

I didn't know that when I ordered it, it was just a great price at the time for the drive and I figured I'd buy a Polaroid soon and give it a try, if it didn't work out I had a extra data drive on hand.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
It's now been one year and one week since I upgraded the hard drive in my Magnavox 2080.

Here are this morning's statistics:

Hard Drive power on hours 1118

DVD WR 81:49

DVD RD 253:30

CD 0:00

This 2080 was probably a customer return. I purchased it as a "refurb" in December 2008. Since that time it has been used only as a clear QAM tuner and hard drive recorder, editing of hard drive recordings and high-speed dubbing to DVDs. I do not use it for direct-to-DVD recordings or real-time dubbing. It is not used as a DVD player.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo /forum/post/18404184

It's now been one year and one week since I upgraded the hard drive in my Magnavox 2080.

Here are this morning's statistics:

Hard Drive power on hours 1118

DVD WR 81:49

DVD RD 253:30

CD 0:00

Thanks! I updated your stats in the table that shows in-service usage data.

It's been awhile since people have updated their stats, so I hope others will follow your lead and do so now. New users welcome!

Here's the table.

·
Registered
19 Posts
A) Is everyone still reading this list? There hasn't been a post for months, but is that because there's nothing to say, or because you've all gone to another better list that I should be reading too? I hope someone will reply to clue me in on this.

B) I have the impression that there is new firmware available. I wanted to come prepared with urls and everything, but I've been busy and I'm disorganized too. But I'll tell you what I know. At the Philips website under support, for the Philips DVDR3574H and Philips DVDR3576H, iirc, there was new firmware written around August of 2008. That's after most of us bought our machines. But even though I was in the USA part of the website, I'm not sure these machines have been sold in the USA. IIRC, I googled and found a couple ads on ebay in the UK for them. But I haven't downloaded and read the manuals, and I don't know how much like the Philips DVDR3575H/37 they are.

But since the numbers are so similar, one less and one more, I'll bet they are basically the same and could accept each other's firmware. They might have ended in /37 too. I don't remember.

Does anyone know anything about all this?

Do you want me to provide more info, like urls?

Is anyone out there reading this list.

I downloaded both files which are zip files and they were the same length for both models Inside were two other files, one for CD update and one for USB update. (IIRC, there are advantages to each method). Both of these zip files were the same length from one model to another I haven't looked inside these, and I haven't made byte-by-byte comparisons of the contents, but I could if someone thought it worth my effort.)

There are several things I wish the unit would do. Now I have a set-top box too and it allows me to make 30.1 a preset but not 30.2, 30.3, 30.4 and 30.5. This would make surfing a lot easier if the new firmware works like the set top box. Maybe it's doesn't, but whatever changes were made are probably improvements. I didn't see any place where it listed the changes, like most software does. (Of course this is the first firmware I've paid attention to, and I don't remember about BIOSes)

BTW, I was surprised when I got this DVDR that it was not listed in the support part of the Philips site. It's still not but these other two are. Why do you think that is?

·
Registered
14,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMikeM /forum/post/18630979

A) Is everyone still reading this list? There hasn't been a post for months, but is that because there's nothing to say, or because you've all gone to another better list that I should be reading too? I hope someone will reply to clue me in on this.

Click #1 in my sig. for the latest and best thread for the Philips and Mag DVDRs.

Quote:

B) I have the impression that there is new firmware available. I wanted to come prepared with urls and everything, but I've been busy and I'm disorganized too. But I'll tell you what I know. At the Philips website under support, for the Philips DVDR3574H and Philips DVDR3576H, iirc, there was new firmware written around August of 2008. That's after most of us bought our machines. But even though I was in the USA part of the website, I'm not sure these machines have been sold in the USA. IIRC, I googled and found a couple ads on ebay in the UK for them. But I haven't downloaded and read the manuals, and I don't know how much like the Philips DVDR3575H/37 they are.

But since the numbers are so similar, one less and one more, I'll bet they are basically the same and could accept each other's firmware. They might have ended in /37 too. I don't remember.

In the Sellers and Support section of the list you'll see at the link in my sig. there are links to support items. The only units we have in the US/Canada are the ones ending in "/37"... at least those are the NTSC/.ATSC/QAM ones and designate North American units.

The FW listed for the 3575 at the link in my sig. is for yoru 3575 but it only makes some very minor change for reading some discs. I and others have installed that FW and noticed no difference in any op.

Quote:

There are several things I wish the unit would do. Now I have a set-top box too and it allows me to make 30.1 a preset but not 30.2, 30.3, 30.4 and 30.5. This would make surfing a lot easier if the new firmware works like the set top box. Maybe it's doesn't, but whatever changes were made are probably improvements. I didn't see any place where it listed the changes, like most software does. (Of course this is the first firmware I've paid attention to, and I don't remember about BIOSes)

The tuners in these DVDRs are "hybrid" analog/digital tuners that have a switch to go from analog to digital, but your STB and all HDTVs have an integrated tuner that tunes all numbered channels in sequence w/no switch.

Our hybrid tuners are "all-or-nothing" as far as digital channels... if you Add or Delete any subchannel in a major channel group, you Add or Delete ALL the subchannels in that group.

Go to that new thread for lots more info and help.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:

Do you want me to provide more info, like urls?

Is anyone out there reading this list.

BTW, I was surprised when I got this DVDR that it was not listed in the support part of the Philips site. It's still not but these other two are. Why do you think that is?

No posts for "months" and "another better list," you're kidding, right? The discussions remain active in the sticky thread and in a number of other threads.

With just a little browsing/reading one may find clarity and avoid disinformation.

European Philips models, even those with similar sounding model names, are very different products with different hardware (e.g. SCART) and software (e.g. ATLAS). European Philips service manuals demonstrate how different those products are from our /37 versions. As to the use of firmware for non-/37 versions, that's a quick way to turn a /37 into a "brick." Are you feeling lucky?

Here's a recent example where those same model variations have lead to confusion, but the appropriate resource material restored order:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1248080

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1249202

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just played on my Philips 3576H two finalized DVDs recorded by my defunct Polaroid DVD recorder with hard drive. In both cases, I began playing a movie on the DVD when it soon froze. When I looked at the surfaces of the two DVDs, they now have several circles on them that aren't on finalized DVDs that work normally. I am now afraid to play on the Philips DVDs recorded on my Polaroid & Sansui machines. I think the Philips still plays its own recordings okay, but I don't want to ruin a recording by testing. I guess I'll have to make a second copy of the same movies to test. My Philips is 2+ years old, & I've recorded between 200 & 300 DVDs on it. I never before had a problem with the Philips playing DVDs recorded on my previous machines.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uno /forum/post/19054648

... I am now afraid to play on the Philips DVDs recorded on my Polaroid & Sansui machines. I think the Philips still plays its own recordings okay, but I don't want to ruin a recording by testing. ...

Firstly, why not record something not important, to test if the Philips creates the same problem again. Check the surface for defects carefully before and after playing.

Secondly, you may be able to replace the DVD recorder drive with a new drive as described here.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...=39#DVDReplace

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks, I'll try a test recording. However, I can't record something on the Polaroid, since I no longer have it--just 100+ DVDs recorded on it. I gave my Polaroid away when it began ruining DVDs instead of recording onto them. The HD still recorded & the DVD drive still played DVDs.

4781 - 4792 of 4792 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.