AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all.

Based on the excellent advice in this forum, I recently picked up the DVP5990. It's been doing a great job for both upconverting DVD and playing AVI files. I have been using the HDMI out to my Samsung 550 and generally it's been working fine.

However, this morning I was testing some AVI encodings on the USB adaptor, and the player suddenly developed an HDMI output problem. I used the player once to test one AVI encoding this morning with no issue. I powered down; however, when I powered up again 20 mins later, the DVP's HDMI ouput abruptly displayed video with extreme posterization and a radical color shift.

I've seen this kind of output before on my old DVP642 (via SVideo) when it encountered a file codec it didn't support, but this was for all video, including the setup screens.

The component video outputs from the DVP display correctly. Switching HDMI ports on the TV made no difference, and the TV displays broadcast HD fine. Here are are a few shots:

HDMI DVD content

Component RGB DVD content

HDMI OSD

Component RGB OSD

I'm thinking it's either the HDMI cable or the DVP player itself. At the moment I only have 1 HDMI cable and the player is the only HDMI device I have. To avoid having to exchange both items, does anyone have a clue as to what the culprit could be, and if it's fixable without an exchange?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Change the HDMI colorspace to YPbPr instead of RGB (or vice versa). Also try to change HDMI range to Limited from Normal (or vice versa). You can do this on the player or on the TV.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting. Before I could try Huey's suggestion, I picked up a backup HDMI cable. I had unplugged the unit earlier (thunderstorms moving through), so I plugged it in, hooked up the new cable, turned on the unit (which turned on the HDTV via ANYNET), and all was well with the picture. I then turned off the unit, swapped the old cable back in, and all was still fine.

Now I'm not sure if the issue was rectified due to the cable swap or unplugging the unit resetting something (or even if it's permanently fixed).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts