Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I was thinking about picking up one of the Philips DVP642 players for divx ability on the shows I want to keep from the replay for the kids.

What I was thinking of doing is compressing using Divx converter (Divx 6) which converts the files to the file extention of ".divx"

My question will this player play files with this file extention & if so, if there are a bunch on a disc, will it bring up some sort of menu.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choli0090
Hello All,

I was thinking about picking up one of the Philips DVP642 players for divx ability on the shows I want to keep from the replay for the kids.

What I was thinking of doing is compressing using Divx converter (Divx 6) which converts the files to the file extention of ".divx"

My question will this player play files with this file extention & if so, if there are a bunch on a disc, will it bring up some sort of menu.

Thanks!!
Comes up with a file list and only handles 8.3 naming convention so beware. I find mine to be buggy, with the menu getting set to off just by playing certain files (mix of avi, vcd, wmv, and divx). It is an ok player, but not a panacea for all. I got it on sale for $45 bucks... not worth much more than that IMHO.

T

·
Registered
450 Posts
I copied a divx 6 replay converted file and changed the extension to avi. I burned both the divx and avi to a cdrw. They played in my dvp642 with no problem.

·
Registered
256 Posts
it's also worth noting that this dvd player handles both NTSC and PAL formats and, when the proper button sequence is pushed, region-free.

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
All philips players have a sequence for region free. So... that's a big plus on those player. Personally I can't stand the interface.

I have one of these too, and it's in the bedroom so it doesn't get a lot of use. And my AV receiver plays stremed avi/divx files so there's even less reason to use the 642. =(

If it played HD-Divx files it would be a different story!

·
Banned
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. Yesterday evening I went & picked one of these units up. So far it has played everything I have thrown at it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choli0090
Thanks for the info. Yesterday evening I went & picked one of these units up. So far it has played everything I have thrown at it.
I also decided to try a DVP642. I was disappointed. It did not correctly play several of my divx's. I discovered that it will not play any soundtrack on a divx unless the sample rate is 44.1/48 kHz. Some of mine were 22.05 kHz. They didn't play. Any divx with an ac3 soundtrack had jumpy video and the sound was out of sync. Some divx just had wonky video, as if it just didn't like the settings used during encoding.

I returned it yesterday and picked up a Pioneer DV-588A. Now this is a great machine. Not only did it play all of those divxs that the Philips would not, but it also plays .WMA, SACD and DVD-Audio. I read the press release online that stated that Pioneer was to release this machine in April 2005 for $200, but the street price today is around $100 (isn't competition great?!). It's also a much sexier looking machine... I just wish that it came in black.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.