AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been unhappy with the s/pdif passthrough sound quality of my SB Live with Hoontech adapter. I don't play games so I am looking for the simplest card with the best s/pdif output.

Out on a whim and expecting to return it I bought a Phillips dynamic edge 4.1 at Beast Buy thinking:

a) I can just return it.

b) Isn't s/pdif Sony PHILLIPS digital interface?

c) What the heck.

First of all the drivers seem very polished specially compared with Creative's. However, it seems that I have to pay 9.95 extra to take keep using extra features like 3D sound effects and the equalizer!? I'll look further into this...

Does it work? Yes, beautifully! The sound quality is a definitive improvement over the SB Live both in processing and passthrough. DTS and DD passthrough are flawless using TT.

And for those that have previously asked to passthrough the digital sound of a myHD card through the sound card; you can connect the s/pdif out of the myHD to an s/pdif in of the Phillips card and select "passthrough the s/pdif in".

Finally, it costs $30!

Hope this helps those looking for a cheap and good audio card for s/pdif passthrough.

Alric

·
Registered
686 Posts
I've used the Rythmic Edge with great success on an Athlon XP and ECS K7S5A mobo (SIS 735). No crackles, no stutter, etc with SP/DIF passthrough.

Just beware if you have W2K + SP3, the drivers don't seem to enable the SP/DIF passthrough with this OS, the checkbox is always greyed. It could've been something else, I'm not sure, but with other OSs this didn't happen.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
i too was using an soundblaster with an hoontech adapter for awhile...sound was not bad but when i upgraded to an acoustic edge.it was a night and day difference.sound is more detailed and much crisper..machine is cusl2,pent III.i'm using winxp.i did have to download drivers for it to pass DD and DTS in winxp.drivers in package did not allow for this.if you're using win 98, another good cheap card is the aureal vorteq sq 1500.it works extremely well, and can be found for under $10 shipped.and yes it did pass DD and DTS flawlessly!!!WILL NOT work under anything higher than win 98 though.

brickie

·
Registered
173 Posts
I had the rythmic edge but took it out for the following reason: I use the digital out for music as well as DVDs. On the rythmic edge I had to go to a check box every time I wanted to switch between the two.

Arlic is this true with the dynamic edge or have they fixed this?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They have fixed this. I can use WinAmp and passthrough DD or DTS without switching outputs.

I have the s/pdif output of a myHD card connected to the internal s/pdif in jack and I do have to go to the control panel and switch the input for the internal s/pdif in jack.

However, is this even a choice with other cards?

Cheers,

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
hi, is the dynamic edge, newer than the acoustic edge?i have this one and i have to switch between ac3 passthru, or when i just want basic stereo sound(windows sounds).it's a little annoying, but for the sound i think it's worth it...it is a nice sounding card.

brickie

·
Registered
79 Posts
I second your thoughts i replaced both an Audigy card and a Hercules Game theater XP both I paid $100 or more now a $30 card comes along and has the most solid SPDIF I have used to date.

I had some lip Synching issues using zoomplayer. I switched the filters to use the default Waveout and It is now fixed.

Great card for $30

Matt

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
I have been using the Philips line of sound cards for two years now. I have a pair of Acoustic Edge cards, they have a great S/N ratio for converting analog to wav, and they have been flawless for SPDIF DVD playback.

Vern Dias

·
Registered
118 Posts
I just bought this card to use in a music computer. The digital output works great, but seems to resample everything to 48khz. I replaced an Audigy because of this problem. Is there any way to get the card not to do this without paying $200 for a soundcard?

Thanks.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I too love this card!

I had the Sonic Edge...but returned it when I found the pix on the box showed an RCA S/PDIF....but it was actually a mini plug.

No big deal...but I knew all along the Dynamic Edge was half the price...and now I was looking at also buying a mini/RCA adapter for the Sonic.

Bought the Dynamic and love it! Ya....I was a bit ticked to find that the QSound features that made this sound great required additional $10. But, that same day...I payed it! I am so impressed with how good my MP3s sound!

I pass the digital to a Technics 5.1 decoder...but actually switch it to stereo, as I'm getting such great imaging thru my Mission speakers.

A great deal....and the photo on the box is correct..it is an RCA for S/PDIF.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by plain fan
So where does one go to geth an RCA cable for S/PDIF? I don't think I've ever seen one?
I've found full functionality using any stanard RCA cable I had laying around. Audio or Video.

Do you mean the RCA to 2 prong SPDIF on the card?

I just succeeded in making my own RCA on one end, then the 2 prong connector for the internal digital input on the card. Now my HD Card sends digital to the card...and both use the same input on my decoder

BTW.....The cable was made using a standard PC - CD ROM type audio cable....The 4 prong (Black) type without the snap retainer. I just used small wire cutters and split one connector so I was left with one side that had 2 instead of 4 receptors. This will fit perfectly onto the digital input. I soldered an RCA jack onto the other end.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by StormCrow

Bought the Dynamic and love it! Ya....I was a bit ticked to find that the QSound features that made this sound great required additional $10. But, that same day...I payed it! I am so impressed with how good my MP3s sound!

Can someone elaborate on QSound?

I'm looking at this card for SPDIF passthrough from DVDs and 2 ch analog output from MP3s via Winamp. I'm not clear on how Winamp would use the QSound features.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You can set the output of Winamp to the Audio Agent 2. This is the software that applies the Qsound effects.

StormCrow is right. I am usually skeptic about audio effects but in this case they improve MP3 sound quality considerably.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.