Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After doing a search of this,

Seems the Philips is a pretty good deal as far as quality of warranty and coverage.

Anyone have any experience with them or thoughts about their product?

Thanks

Patrick

·
Registered
72 Posts
Warrantech provides much better service, plus they don't "discriminate" against new technology. Philips is also way expensive! read about warrantech at

http://www.myrepairmaster.com

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Also Phillips set is an also ran when compared with panny and NEC. Based on Fujitsu glass but most fujistus are better than the Phillips, prolly due to superior electronics.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DavidKyle
Warrantech provides much better service, plus they don't "discriminate" against new technology.
At first glance, Warrantech doesn't appear to offer in-home service, even as an additional-cost item. Personally, in-home service is a huge plus for me -- I don't want to have to worry about shipping and/or transporting a multi-thousand dollar fragile piece of equipment. (especially when you can screw up a plasma simply by laying it flat.)

Something you might want to consider when purchasing an extended warranty. (side note: anyone know of an extended warranty that does offer in-home service?)

--kurt

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Klieber...

Just found this on the Q&A for Philips. Seems they do have in house coverage.

"Frequently Asked Questions

Is the service contract transferable?

- Yes, with a $15 fee the consumer may transfer ownership to whomever they sell their property and it will stay in effect for the remainder of the contract.

Does the plan cover on-site service?

- Yes, after the expiration of the manufacturers warranty or day 366 of the contract, whichever comes first, your plan will pay for the trip charge for covered repairs.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FlyboyAA
Just found this on the Q&A for Philips. Seems they do have in house coverage.
Thanks, now if I can just find someone that has in-house service and covers Panasonic... :)

Of course, the Panny comes with 1 year and I purchased it using a gold mastercard, so that gives me a second year. Not sure that spending the money on an extended, extended warranty would be worth it.

--kurt

·
Registered
72 Posts
Warrantech offers in home service on Home Electronics valued from 3000-10000$ 10000 is Warrantechs cap, so 61 inch screens are out of the question. Not sure about Philips. Warrantech will cover any plasma manufactured today, that does not cost over 10,000

·
Registered
99 Posts
I purchased a Philips extended warranty for my Panny 42". It offers in home INCLUDING for the first year. (I have the industrial version, which only provides one year carry-in from Panasonic.) Cost $750 for 5 years. If something goes wrong, they arrange for a Panny repair person to come.

How good is the warranty? Don't know, since haven't had the need to call on it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DavidKyle
Warrantech offers in home service on Home Electronics valued from 3000-10000$
Thanks David -- can you point me to a link that has more information about this? The only relevant link I could find on myrepairmaster.com was the Terms & Conditions, which states the following:

Quote:
When you receive authorization for repairs, your service representative will directyou to a designated service center.You may either take your product in person or ship it (postage pre-paid and insured) to the designated service center. A copy of the proof of product purchase (sales receipt), and a briefwritten description of the problem must accompany the product.
--kurt

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi Kurt

I could not find exactly where it says that. I will say that I can speak from personal experience. I have my 55" Toshiba HDTV Cinema Series warrantied through them. I had something go wrong with one of the lenses, and the process broke down like this.

1) I called their 1-800 number to inform them of a problem. They asked me to unplug my TV, and call back in 24 hours, as they wanted to make sure that it was really broken before they sent someone out.

2) After the 24 hour period, I called back and confirmed it was still out of service.

3) 4 Business days later a serviceman from Palmetto Electronics (local here in SC) was at my apartment fixing the thing.

Here is the contact info, give them a call or shoot them an email regarding in home service on all "Big Ticket" items.

Warrantech Corporation - RepairMasterTM

Corporate Headquarters

1441 W. Airport Freeway #400

Euless, TX 76040

Phone: (877) 263-7403

Email: [email protected]

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks -- I'll give that a shot. Also, what do Warrantech warranties generally cost? Trying to get an idea of how they compare to Philips.

Thanks again.

--kurt

·
Registered
72 Posts
For the big ticket items, they come in 2 and 4 year installments. An example price would be about 380(2 years) and 490(4 years) on a 42"

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hmmm....that seems pretty comparable to the Philips warranty. I was quoted $399 for a 3 year and $599 for a 5 year.

I'm still having a hard time justifying the expense, though, when I have the two-year carry-in warranty, free of charge.

Does the standard, "If it's going to fail, it will fail within the first year" addage seem to apply to plasma TVs as well as it does most other electronics?

--kurt

·
Registered
72 Posts
The longest period of time from purchase to failure that I have encountered is 3 weeks. (There was a case where a person made a claim 4 months later but it had sat unopened that long, and then when he finally turned it on, it failed. I imagine it would have also failed had he turned it on 4 months prior :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Based on what David Kyle just said, it makes you wonder if you really do need an extended warranty after all.

With my Amex card I get the extra warranty. But my concern is this...

Will NEC honor its warranty by buying from 1800Plasma for the first year???

I guess that's the $64,000 question. I can save about $600 by not buying it.....Thoughts out there??

Pat

·
Registered
75 Posts
Quote:
As plasmaprincess said, yes, NEC should honor the warranty. Fujitsu is the only one being stupid about online purchases, though I've heard rumblings that other manufacturers may follow suit.

As for needing an extended warranty or not, I'm not sure what NEC's terms are, but the big decision for me is whether I want the peace of mind of knowing I have in-house service if something goes wrong. I'm pretty comfortable with a 2-year warranty (1 year standard + 1 year credit card) but I'm not at all excited about transporting a plasma TV to the nearest service center. Those service centers are invariably situated right next to the largest, meanest, car-swallowing pot holes in NYC.

So, for me, the decision is $399 for in-house service (and an extra year that I don't really care about) or $0 and take my chances. I still haven't made up my mind...

--kurt

·
Registered
72 Posts
Quote:
Based on what David Kyle just said, it makes you wonder if you really do need an extended warranty after all.

With my Amex card I get the extra warranty. But my concern is this...

I guess that's the $64,000 question. I can save about $600 by not buying it.....Thoughts out there??

Pat
NEC would defintley honor the warranty if you purchase from 1800plasmas.com because they obtain them from NEC's most reputable sources here in the U.S.

Just like Dell does, Just like all the specialty video stores in your area do.

Whether you are buying off the net or at brick and murder(your wallet). As long as it comes with a NEC USA warranty you are set! NEC would not care where it was purchased from. I will give you a scenario that happened about 3 months ago but involves Panasonic. I sold a B-stock Panny D3U that was obtained from a trade show. When Panasonic sells B-Stock they give 90 Day warranties. The distributor i obtained the B-Stock from extended it to a full year. Well a problem did arrise and the customer happened to live near the Panny service center, and went ahead and took it by there. From the serial number alone, Panasonic knew it was a B-Stock they had sold to my distributor, and that the 90 days was up. Of course my distributor honored the 1 yr, and everyone was happy. Point is there are a number of dealers who sell products with USA warranties, and whether they be in a store or on the net, its all the same. And its very easy for any dealer, store or net, to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that they sell USA Warranty products, and are authorized to sell these USA warranty products.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So.....

If I buy an extended warranty for say, 5 years...when does the 5 year clock start ticking? Is it when I first receive delivery of my Plasma or does it start "after" the 1 year (I'm assuming 1 year for this example) for a complete total of 6 years of warranty (ie, 1 year mfg plus 5 year Philips?) If a company markets a product as a 5 year warranty, I should think it is itself a 5 year warranty and thus would give you the 6 total years. I may be wrong. I'd hate to think we're all paying for several years of a warranty that you're not really getting in the above scenario.

Hmmmm.....

Any help out there.

Pat

·
Registered
75 Posts
The Philips warranty starts at time of purchase. The Warrantech appears to start at the time the original mfr's warranty expires. (I say 'appears' because their terms & conditions don't exactly mirror real-world experience, as DavidKyle's earlier posts can attest to.)

--kurt

EDIT: fixed UBB code issue.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The way the person at Warrantech described to me is that the Warranty starts from date of purchase. They "mirror" the manufacturers warranty, and if it is over 3000, they include in home service. So if something happened to your screen in the first year, Warrantech would still handle things, but hold Panasonic responsble because they are going to have all the info on the screen anyways. If its after a year, Warrantech is the one footing the bill.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.