Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I took a chance and bought one of the HDRW 720s off of Philips web store for $209. As I realized it might, it had the intermittent audio problem where it buzzes sometimes when switching channels or when jumping forward or back on the tuner, HDD or a DVD. And also as I had read here, it can be fixed by changing channels back and forth for the tuner or by jumping back and forth with the time skip for the HDD or DVDs. When it clears up it goes from really buzzing (sounds sort of like white noise, only more digital) to just the occasional electronic click every second or two. I know that I am going to send it back for repair but I am curious to know if anyone has figured out what is causing it in these units. The person on the phone when I ordered it denied knowing anything about an audio issue, but they may really have not been told though the service department must be getting a bunch of these back. I can't tell by listening if it is a bad chip, a bad solder onto the circuit board, or what. The odd thing is that CDs playback great. Totally clear sound. So it can't just be the output chip like I thought at first. It is like somehow the video decoding chip is sometimes creating some kind of digital crosstalk or something.

While trying to figure out the audio problem I sat down and ran it through some miscellaneous tests and it doesn't seem to be anything related to the input side of the unit (tried 3 of the different inputs of the unit). Just about half the time with the output of things that have video as well as audio, there is the audio garbage.

Anyones 2 cents or experiences are appreciated.

BTW, video part performs as it should.

("It sucks!" doesn't help me much, unless you follow it up with some useful information. Thanks.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Has anyone had a HDRW720 with the audio static successfully repaired? I read of someone who returned 2 and then cancelled and got a refund. And some people have ones that worked right off the bat.

I tried a few more tests after my post, though I didn't really expect any different result. Doesn't matter if I use RF out or Video out, there is static sound. The DVD-RW test that I recorded plays back fine in my computer, so the input side of the HDRW720 is fine. I was partially testing for "just in case", but more because when I called customer support I wanted to say that I had tried every conceivable combination and still had a problem. I didn't want them to say "Try X and then call us back." (I don't have a way to test the Digital outs, but it wouldn't do me any good even if they worked because I wouldn't have a way to connect it to anything.)

As far as getting it resolved, I was swamped with work for a bit and not able to deal with it, but I have since talked to Philips customer support and I am sending it in for repair. I have to pay shipping which I am going to let slide this first time as I knew when I ordered it that there was a decent chance that it would have the audio issue and I would have to send it in. If it is not fixed to my satisfaction (which means working absolutely flawlessly) after I get it back then I will get much less friendly on the phone. I shouldn't have to pay for shipping for someting that arrived defective, but I got such a deal on the price that I kind of factored 1 repair shipment into what it was going to cost me. If it comes back with the problem unfixed then I will insist that they pay for the second time I ship it back. If they balk at that I will let them know that I will inform the Better Business Bureau and then file a complaint with the Washington State Attorney General's Office that they are distributing defective merchandise that has a known problem and they aren't taking care of their resposibility to their consumers. I intentially used a Gold MasterCard that doubles the warranty to cover myself the best I can.

By the way, the 2 times that I have talked to people at Philips they were both polite and they answered the phone within a minute of me getting through the phone menu to their department, so that was nice. I was sort of expecting worse. Now I just need to wait about 4-5 weeks (roundtirup) to see if they have fixed it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I purchased my unit from Costco back in October. I noticed the static on the audio almost immediately and called Philips support. They ask me to try out a number of things but then I got busy and did not get back to them until today. I did figure out that the audio problem is only on the analog outputs and does not occur with the digital audio out. Unfortunately I am using this unit with a older home theater receiver with no digital audio in. Philips support told me to send it back to them in Arkansas and they will repair it in and send it back in 2-3 weeks. Since I got it for a great price from Costco, I figure it is worth paying for the shipping charge to have them fix it, assuming it can be fixed. Has anyone sent their unit for repair of this audio problem with good results?

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Costco tends to take stuff back with no questions asked, maybe they'd swap it out for another unit. Assuming of course that they still stock them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I read elsewhere on this forum that Costco pulled all the units off their shelves. If Philips can't repair it, I'll just return it and buy another brand although I am sure there is nothing out there for $200.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Costco online no longer carries this, I haven't seen it locally at any Costcos either. I have the clicking sound sometimes. I have read that pushing reverse > forward skip a few times helps eliminate that. Haven't tried it out yet.

I have another issue of the unit "locking" up sometimes when I push buttons on the remote. The unit will appear not to recognize anything I press, well, it does recognize I am pushing the remote because the display lights up but no function. This happens far and in between and I'm still happy with the unit. I wonder if it has to do with a scheduled download, or something else.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Well than at the very least you could get your money back, money that could be used to buy a different and hopefully better DVD Recorder.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.