AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the indoor silver sensor directional antenna and it is a piece of junk, it can only receive 3 channels on UHF. My 30+ year old ray gun UHF antenna can receive all 7 digital channels in my area. I only live 10 miles away from the towers, which are all in the same direction. Does anybody have this antenna, and is there a good way to position it?

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
The Philips HDTV3 is the amplified version, IIRC. Which may be a problem if you are close to the broadcast towers. Have you tried to dial down the amplification to a minimum level? Turning it off may result in an open circuit where almost no signal comes in from the antenna. Also where is your 30+ year old ray gun UHF antenna located with respect to the Philips? If your old antenna is outdoors or up in the attic, that may provide a far better location for the antenna than indoors.

What is your zip code? Would be useful to see what the UHF and VHF channels the digital stations are on and to get an idea of your terrain.

In general, you want to aim the antenna at the broadcast towers and place it in a location with minimal obstructions in the direction of the broadcast towers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my zip code is 48152. The Ray gun, which is very small, and PHDTV 3 are in the exact same spot. I dont even have it plugged into the amplifier. I will plug it in and dial down the amplification. I pointed it in the direction of the towers.

·
Banned
172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stater68 /forum/post/0

I dont even have it plugged into the amplifier. I will plug it in and dial down the amplification. I pointed it in the direction of the towers.

That would be a very good place to start.

If the amplifier is not powered, it will isolate the antenna elements from the receiver, passing little or no signal.

·
Registered
17,223 Posts
That powered Philips SS IS junk. I tried it a couple of years back, and it got me absolutely ZERO, where the regular SS gets me everything (UHF) with an added amp, and almost everything even without one (from 40 miles out).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.