AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to upconverting DVD players so please bear with me.

I recently purchased a Philips HTS6500 2.1 home theater sytem. One of the things I like about it is the HDMI output. It can upconvert to 1080i. Currently it's outputting at 480p via component cables. I would like to order the HDMI cable.

My question is if I have a 1080P TV, doesn't the TV upconvert anyway? Or is it something different that the DVD player does?

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepier /forum/post/0

I'm new to upconverting DVD players so please bear with me.

I recently purchased a Philips HTS6500 2.1 home theater sytem. One of the things I like about it is the HDMI output. It can upconvert to 1080i. Currently it's outputting at 480p via component cables. I would like to order the HDMI cable.

My question is if I have a 1080P TV, doesn't the TV upconvert anyway? Or is it something different that the DVD player does?

All fixed-pixel displays scale their input signals to their native resolution. The question is: do you get better results doing the scaling in the player or in the display, or does it even matter?

Many people will say "I can't see the difference."

On my system I can see that 1080p from the player is better than 480p. Not night and day, but enough that I want it. But your combination of gear may be different: there is no hard and fast rule.

There is a sticky at the top of this forum: "How much is that scaler in the window" which has more detail.

-Bill

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.