AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An interesting new-technology piece out of the Society for Information Display conference about Philips' LCOS technique . As I understand it, LCOS is much like D-ILA, and Philips' light engine will avoid having to use three LCOS chips by breaking light into RGB and using spinning prisms to sweep colored lines over a single LCOS.

Too bad they didn't start out with more than 1000+ horizontal LCOS pixels for HDTV display, but suppose marketing types could argue that most taped HDTV broadcasts are less than 1400+ pixels (full width), and by the time set filters shave 20 percent off the received resolution to minimize interlace artifacts, the Philips system can present what's generally available. Personally, I'd prefer a 1600-1920-pixel capability for the occasional super-resolution live broadcast (or better more widely used broadcast-HDTV tape machines). -- John

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP AND DFAST

[This message has been edited by John Mason (edited 06-04-2001).]

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I wonder when this technology will be "preview ready". I'd love to see it.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
That resolution of 1024x768 is certainly disappointing. I can see why they don't envision screens larger than 64" diagonal.

------------------

Kirk Ellis

G1000 D-ILA, HTPC, Panamorph (soon I hope),

Dish 6000 (HBOHD,SHOHD,CBS,NBC,ABC,WB,FOX,UPN, KCET -- does it get any better ?)

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Well, the text says "close to one million pixels" so maybe the 1280x768 is correct. I'm not sure 1024x768 could really be called "close to one million".

Something occurred to me after my last post, however. It goes back to two other topics that come up occasionally.

1) The JVC D-ILA projectors use a scaling algorythm when showing 1080i HDTV that does not show all pixels simultaneously, but does in fact show almost all pixels in alternating fashion.

2) There is a projector and/or digital processing card from a company called LaserGraphics http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/005301.html that has always claimed 2048x1536 resolution from 1024x768 panels.

So ... I wonder if the JVC method of effectively "sampling" the source is being used by LaserGraphics and if Philips is planning on doing it as well ? If you had a panel with a high enough refresh rate, you could show every other pixel on each line as well as every other vertical pixel, and truly claim to have shown every pixel on a 1080i picture.

In fact, with a sufficiently high refresh rate, the human eye would do a great job of merging it all into a single 2048x1536 image. If this is what LaserGraphics $2000 card does, and it does it well when paired with the right projector, then aybe we've been overlooking a great HTPC upgrade ??

------------------

Kirk Ellis

G1000 D-ILA, HTPC, Panamorph (soon I hope),

Dish 6000 (HBOHD,SHOHD,CBS,NBC,ABC,WB,FOX,UPN, KCET -- does it get any better ?)

·
Registered
881 Posts
Sorry if this has already been discussed, but last night on the The Screen Savers show on TechTV they had a guy from the conference that briefly talked about a solid state replacement for the color wheel in display devices like dlp projectors. They said the benefits were faster color changes(no rainbow) and less noise. Sounds like a good product

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's a prototype source for a 1920-res LCOS chip. Believe they're the folks supplying Thomson/RCA's LCOS chip for its upcoming RPTV, which uses lower-res chips.

It'll be interesting to see how Philips' spinning-prism technology pans out as far as long-term reliability. Rapidly spinning anything, IMO, doesn't have the best record. In a newsgroup recently someone suggested spinning lasers in checkout scanners as as example of reliability. Wonder how the spin rates compare with TV requirements, though.

In case you missed it, here's a brief report on the Philips system from the SID conference. -- John

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP AND DFAST

[This message has been edited by John Mason (edited 06-07-2001).]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.