AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so it seems that i can get the philips 42PFL7403D-F7 from costco for 1000 with free blu ray, or samsung ln40a630. the size difference to me is not really a factor, i'd probably agree with most the samsung is the better tv, but with costco you get the 3 year warantee for free. so thats pretty much the dilemma.

any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Get the Samsung. A three year warranty on an inferior tv should not be your determining factor. Enjoying a good tv should be. Maybe you have a credit card which would double your warranty to two years on the Sammy, that would help a little.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya i could put it on the amex to get the 2 year warantee which is what i wuold to at costco, but i was kidna thinking if i got from bb or cc that i would do their no interest for 3 years thing which unfortunately means using their card.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
have you seen the philips before? i dont recall actually seeing it, just saw the specs which seemed good. and not too much is said abuot it here even though there is a 130 page forum dedicated to it, kinda took another direction.

·
Registered
209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerhs5 /forum/post/15537582

have you seen the philips before? i dont recall actually seeing it, just saw the specs which seemed good. and not too much is said abuot it here even though there is a 130 page forum dedicated to it, kinda took another direction.

I'm not sure on that model but I think the big problem people had with one of the Phillips is that it was 5:5 pulldown.

Personally, it would be a no brainer for me to go with the Samsung, however everybody's situation is different. If you feel as if the Phillips is to your liking and the warranty is what you want, then that's your choice and that's all that is important. The samsung is the vastly superior TV, however we always exaggerate how vast the difference is as if the Phillips won't even turn on or something. Meh, I say get the Samsung, but ultimately it's your call.

·
Registered
15,999 Posts
Samsung is the better brand. I personally would not buy a Philips LCD.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
good deal, thanks guys, i'll probably just grab the samsung then, might take a look at the lg 42LG70 but probably just stick with the samsung unless the lg is really that close.

thanks again

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Have you checked out the Philips yet. I wouldn't make a judgement just because a couple of people said you need to buy a Samsung. Go look at in person and go from there, you may find you just might like just as much as the Sammy and save money and get free Blue ray on top of that.

You should be your own judge and not leave the purchasing decision up to people you will never meet or have over to watch your TV. Your eyes your money not ours

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ya but i'd be buying the philips online so i really cant say, i dont know anywhere around me that has it in stock.

·
Registered
866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jeffcat /forum/post/15537630

I'm not sure on that model but I think the big problem people had with one of the Phillips is that it was 5:5 pulldown.

Personally, it would be a no brainer for me to go with the Samsung, however everybody's situation is different. If you feel as if the Phillips is to your liking and the warranty is what you want, then that's your choice and that's all that is important. The samsung is the vastly superior TV, however we always exaggerate how vast the difference is as if the Phillips won't even turn on or something. Meh, I say get the Samsung, but ultimately it's your call.

Why would 5.5 pulldown be a problem?

I know people who have phillips and I have not been impressed. Also they just sold their name to funai so your phillips will be made by funai now. Ive heard the samsung 650-950 are great tvs but I wasnt too impressed with the ln52a630 that I owned. I ended up selling it and buying the toshiba 52xv545u. I am much more satisfied. Ive read that a lot of people are very satisfied with their 630 too.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Well I have a Philips that I bought a month or so ago, and I couldn't be happier. And I bought it after seeing it side by side at Costco against Samsung, Vizio, and Sony. To me, only the Sony looked very marginally better but for a grand more, and the others were more expensive too. So the point is, you have to see for yourself and decide because everyone has got some bias.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts