AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just checking to see if there's some Philips rear projection owners out there who might be able to compare settings with. Now that I'm hooked up on HD, I'm obviously looking for the best settings available.. I've got the 55 " 4:3 set, and currently I'm using "ImageMax", "srs", and "intellisense".. There's so much to tweak I haven't been able to try all the settings, turning stuff on / off, etc.. Any philips owners out there who have played w/ it enough to recommend some optimal settings?

--Hag

·
Registered
411 Posts
I currently own the 55" Philips HD ready 16:9 TV, outstanding product. I have basically calibrated the system as best as I can. Using the 36 point RED and BLUE convergence, the picture is the best I have seen it since it arrived last month. Intellisense is ok for the interim picture, but I always felt there was a better picture to had.

I keep dynamic contrast set to off, kick in brightness around 40 and contrast set at 50, I don't like too much colour so I stick that to around 30-35, I don't even touch HUE and SATURATE, not had too much experience in this department.

My only problems with the TV is their plastic filter they put over the screen to protect it and the overscan. The filter they use seems to bring alot of unatural reflection in really bright scenes. Overscan - I wish I knew how to get into the service menu to adjust this little bugger. Apart from these little niggles, I find the TV to be a great product. With the imminent arrival of DVE, one is hoping to give it a once over again and compare to my own settings.

Not sure my advice would help you any, but it is start.

Mark

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does yours have the imagemax option? This seems to make a huge difference when toggled on or off.. I can't decide if I like it better or not, it appears to make the picture much brighter though..

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the 55pp8621 Widescreen HDTV RPTV of Philips. Gorgeous pictures once you've got the 35 pt convergence blue and red set properly. Intellisense will recalibrate it but most of the time, that's on a picture to picture basis, as the convergence is way off at the extreme edges if you use it. If you don't adjust all 35pts, you'll get the rainbow effect almost everywhere, so do so as soon as possible. Each AV source (AV1-AV5) stores it's own convergence settings so adjust every one too.

I used the AVIA disc to determine the tolerances of the set. I use the following range....Brightness (45-55), Colour (42-45), Contrast (40-55)... most of the time, day and night, these range works well for me, dvds, xbox game, xbox media player...etc...

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hey Bravo, I have same model as you! Does yours suffer from too much overscan, or can you live with it?

I only found out recently that you have to adjust every channel with the convergence, I thought it was my TV doing a runner. Good thing is, once this is done the picture is wonderful apart from the overscan and the protective filter Philips use..

Hagfish - Don't have the IMAGEMAX on mine, so I can't really comment much, I don't use the dynamic contrast, this is always turned off.

Mark

·
Registered
815 Posts
Good info, I've yet to mess with manual Convergence setting, always knew I have to give it a go sometime. Been very happy with the picture anyways. HD(9 channels so far), DVD's are all very sweet.

I used the S&V Cal Disc ($15 at Frys) its an updated but slightly lighter version of Avia. Dont remember my settings, I did AV1/2/4/5.....

About how long to set the Convergence by hand for one input? (say AV1)

·
Registered
411 Posts
A quick convergence took me around 10 minutes, that is only because my missus was on one about not being able to watch the TV. I plan to spend more time in the next few days with my newly arrived DVE. Get the convergence spot on, then move to picture settings..pukka!

Mark

·
Registered
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SmithMK

Hey Bravo, I have same model as you! Does yours suffer from too much overscan, or can you live with it?
Based on AVIA, 5% only, even on all sides using my Philips MX3660D DVD player. Fortunately I use an Xbox most of the time to watch streaming video, which negates the overscan because I can manually set the video limit of the picture using an Xbox. And the newest media player can make some anime titles I have output to 1080i, which totally floors me on how gorgeous they look on this RPTV.

Quote:
I only found out recently that you have to adjust every channel with the convergence, I thought it was my TV doing a runner. Good thing is, once this is done the picture is wonderful apart from the overscan and the protective filter Philips use..
Just remember to adjust the microconverge only after 20 minutes after opening the TV. (warm it up. accrdg to AVIA).

Quote:
Originally posted by JETninja

About how long to set the Convergence by hand for one input? (say AV1)
Well, do it this way... after warming up the set for 20 minutes. Go to AV1, play video, then push the Intellisense button (remote or on the set)... afterwards go to the Convergence menu the do Single Red first... do Single Blue next. Then Multi-Red. And check the edge crosshairs first... going inwards... Then Multi-Blue... (which is hard to check, so I always extreme it just to notice the blue convergence lines, then adjust as needed.). Then Save....

This process shouldn't take more than five-seven minutes tops. But this has to be done for all AV outputs, and the TV/Cable out as well. I've not tried doing it for multi S-video and Composite inputs... I think they have the same one setting...

·
Registered
411 Posts
Cheers Bravo, all points duly noted...:)

Mark

·
Registered
815 Posts
Not sure of the Intellesense button you mention (my set is from 11/02) but I know how to get to the Convergence menus. I imagine this is best to do at night when there is no reflections on the TV?

Warming up is no problem, the set is on from 5:30Am till 11:30Pm almost everyday! :D

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FYI, I took the advice of the Ovation AV DVD and turned off "imagemax" and all of the other auto features and calibrated the TV.. I'm much happier w/ the picture, especially HD channels.. the superbowl will look better than ever

-- hag

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.