AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can we get an official Philips PFL5505 thread going...?

I have a 40PFL5505D/F7

I recently bought this TV about a week ago. It has less than 25 hours on it. I have searched the forums for hours trying to find the best settings but I cant seem to get it right. I thought I had it done but when watching a football game and sportscenter I noticed the reds were too bright and the oranges were too bright/reddish also. I lowered the "color" to about 35 and that seems to help but now everything looks a little bland. I cant use a calibration DVD because i dont have any blu ray players at the moment. Can anyone post their settings, preferably after using a calibration DVD or professional service. I'd prefer to have the colors correct and vivid rather than brightness and contrast cranked all the way up. Also should I wait for the TV to "break in" before calibrating it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree. The "need some feedback" thread was very informative, but let's make this a formal thread for this series.

My specs:

Model: 55PFL5505D

Store: Future Shop

Paid: $1199

I haven't had much time to experiment yet, so I copied my settings from the last Maverick approved settings posted in the old forum.

Contrast: 85

Brightness: 45

Colour: 50

Tint: 3

Sharpness: 2

Colour Temp: Normal

Dynamic Contrast Off

DNM: Off

Noise Reduction: Off

MPEG Reduction: Off

Active Control: Off

Picture Format: Unscaled

Current firmware: PHL-0AA_119_0

Something doesn't look quite right and I can't figure it out yet. Maybe it just needs a few hours to break in.

Anyone have better settings?

I only have one HDMI going to my TV so like to find one good general purpose setting for games, sports, BluRay/AppleTV/PS3 and HD TV. I don't really care about SD, if I'm watching it, it's a sacrifice no matter what the settings.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's my current set up but it is only from research and trail/error. Some people may prefer the image to be a little brighter, but I hate the feeling that there is a huge spotlight shinning on everything. I am trying to get the most natural picture.

Contrast: 78

Brightness: 55

Color:35

Tint/sharpness: 0 (IMO anything past -3/3 distorts the image quality)

Color Temp: Normal

Everything else: OFF

Picture format:Unscaled

The main problem with this model is there is no advanced settings for color options.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Anyone figured out how to make the blues and reds look normal, without all the other colours looking grey?

Blues and reds are popping out more than they should, and I only have colour and tint adjustments to work with.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hello Eric! There is a thread that I have used for pre/post purchase of a 40pfl5505d/f infact I just recently made my first post there

ERR.... cant post links till 4th post... hmmm....ill post it after this one!!

the best picture settings i've found were from Wazy:

Viewing distance is 10-12 feet and room characteristics are a darkened room mainly used for nighttime viewing.

Contrast 85

brightness 53

color 50

tint 0

sharpness 2

color temp normal

DNM minimum for all sports and blue ray/dvds - on/off for HD movies/programs - again personel preference - some HD movies/programs look great with it on and some don't - some have too much of the soap opera effect but I find that dependant on the programming.

all other video processing features are OFF

format unscaled

I changed the tint to -10 just as personal preference but these should please most viewers I think.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts