AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
The actual price at eCost is $239.95. They add a $9.95 handling fee in addition to shipping. Like everyone, they mark up shipping a lot. Few places, though, simply add another $10 line item as eCost does.

It may still be a good price, but...

Mark

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
The actual price at eCost is $239.95. They add a $9.95 handling fee in addition to shipping. Like everyone, they mark up shipping a lot. Few places, though, simply add another $10 line item as eCost does.

It may still be a good price, but...

Mark

When I ordered it the shipping was 14.95 for overnight... I don't think thats alot for shipping...

-Troy

·
Registered
686 Posts
I don't know if this also applies to the US, but here in Portugal the now discontinued Marantz RC 5000 can be had for around 170 USDs (200 EURO).

I'm not sure if this discount is only available here. The Marantz has 1 MB, comes with the batt charger "by default", and has a different BIOS than the Philips' ones.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Ricardo Cruz
I don't know if this also applies to the US, but here in Portugal the now discontinued Marantz RC 5000 can be had for around 170 USDs (200 EURO).

I'm not sure if this discount is only available here. The Marantz has 1 MB, comes with the batt charger "by default", and has a different BIOS than the Philips' ones.
I could be wrong, but I think the Marantz RC 5000 (1 MB) = Philips Pronto TSU1000 (1MB) and the RC 5000i (2 MB) = Philips Pronto TSU2000. and yes the Philips Pronto TSU1000 can be had here for about $170 or less.....

oh and it looks like the price is back to $224.95

-Troy

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Troyd: You are flat-out wrong. Overnight shipping is indeed $14.79, which is a fair price vs. other vendors for overnight shipping on an item that weighs about 2 lbs.

On top of that, eCost adds $10 "handling". They do this on ALL orders. It is a bogus charge and either means:

(a) Their shipping is outrageously high.

or

(b) They quote fictitiously low prices.

You can pick either (a) or (b). If you pick (a), then your shipping was actually $24.74 (or so). If you pick (b), then your price was actually $234.

End rant.

Mark

·
Registered
686 Posts
Troyd: You are flat-out right :)

in fact, RC 5000 is the TSU 1000 in the US (in Europe it's the 890 I think). Just keep in mind, when comparing prices, that the Philips does not come with the batt charger, it's optional, but the Marantz does.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
The entirety of my criticism should be understood to be leveled at eCost, which is taking an extra $10 from you and trying to hide it.

I have no beef with Troyd, unless he continues to insist the price was $10 lower than it really is. The rest of his info seems right on me and pointing out a good deal is also what this forum is about.

Peace,

Mark

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I just purchased a reconditionned TS 1000 with full 1 year warranty from J&R for $125 shipped for anyone that is interested as well. They are a very reputable dealer. I don't know if you can still get that price since they advertise them on their website for $150 but if you call them personally and haggle a bid, you will get it cheaper. For me $115US + $10 shipping to Canada. Heck, here for the same unit, it's $500 Canadian!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.