AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my father-in-law worked for Magnavox, he can get Magnavox, Philips, and Marantz equipment from the employee store at nice prices. I've pretty much accepted the fact that any analog HDTV monitor bought today has a limited HD lifetime, which is why I'm looking at a Philips 34" flat CRT for the bedroom.

My question is this: I see that Philips has a new generation of sets (xxPW9817/34PW9847) with a new 3D comb filter vs. the old sets' 2D(?) comb filter. Also, the old sets had Guide+ Gold where the new sets don't. Has anyone seen the old and new sets side-by-side to see what the difference is? I read Gary's review of the 34PW9815 where he mentions the Digital National Motion and how it "runs out of power" on some high-motion scenes. Anyone know if the new sets fix this?

My dilemma is I can get the previous gen 34PW9846 for the same price as the new 34PW9817. Personally, I like the black case on the 34PW9846 and the Pronto remote is a big plus. But, I don't think the Guide+ Gold is available in my area, so that's a wash. Anyway, any input would be appreciated.

------------------

--R.W. Fox

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Grrr. I stopped in at our local Circuit City tonight to look at the 34PW9817. If anyone from Circuit City is reading this, answer me: How do you expect to sell an HDTV using a crappy in-house NTSC feed? Every TV on display had the same program running, so someone who didn't know better might think they were looking at HDTV on the little 13" TVs. Discovery HD, for all to see! But, this is another thread...

The sales droid told me the Guide+ Gold is output by the cable company. If true, then I don't miss anything by buying the new gen set since I don't have cable. I couldn't tell with the signal they had how good the picture could be. Next time, I'll take in my portable DVD and a couple of movies. One thing I did notice was a disturbing blooming in transistions between dark to light scenes.

When quizzed about the diffence between the 34PW9815 and the -9817, the sales droid said they hadn't seen any big difference. I guess they wouldn't if they were watching the NTSC feed. Too bad they don't have this set at our Best Buys since they distribute HDTV via component video.

------------------

--R.W. Fox

·
Registered
78 Posts
Foxbat,

Did you make any progress concerning your buying decision?

I'm in a similar position to you.

I'd love to compare the picture quality of the x17 vs. x15 Philips sets with a progressive video source.

I'm also considering the Panasonic CT-24WX50 and the Toshiba 34HF81.

David.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Guide+ information is broadcast OTA on ABC. Although it is a nice/cute feature, I suggest you get a TiVo and forget all about Guide+ and junk your VCR.

For the differences in the sets, you might try asking the folks at the Philips list in my sig.

------------------

Abdul
Philips 60PP9601, join the Philips_HDTV discussion group

Dish 5000 + HDTV Modulator, DirecTV + 128 hour SVR-2000 TiVo

HTPC: Duron 750, K7 Master, Radeon LE, AccessDTV, Cybermail, Audiophile

Kenwood VR-407 receiver & subwoofer, nOrh 4.0 marble center speaker
s>

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks, Abdul, I would, only I've tried to join that group twice before and have still not been "approved" for admission. As I own a 30PW9815 I am left to wonder just what hoops I still have to go through for the honor of joining your elite group . . .

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
The Philips_HDTV Yahoo group is set to "auto approve" new members. I'm the administrator, and when I check the pending members, it says, "There are no pending members at this time," as expected. Sorry you're having trouble joining, but if you send me a PM with the email address you wish to use, I can manually add you.

------------------

Abdul
Philips 60PP9601, join the Philips_HDTV discussion group

Dish 5000 + HDTV Modulator, DirecTV + 128 hour SVR-2000 TiVo

HTPC: Duron 750, K7 Master, Radeon LE, AccessDTV, Cybermail, Audiophile

Kenwood VR-407 receiver & subwoofer, nOrh 4.0 marble center speaker
s>

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see that nobody had any input on the differences between the xxPW9815 and xxPW9817. Well, I stopped by our CC tonight and they actually had both hooked up. I had brought my portable DVD and Toy Story 2 so I could check out the 9817. We ended up trying it on both sets, a 34PW9815 on clearance, and a new 34PW9817.

I hooked my Pioneer DVD into the s-video input on the side of the 34PW9815 and fired up TS2 with Buzz attacking Zurg's fortress. If there wasn't much motion, the picture had a clarity that knocked my socks off. Unfortunately, this sequence has too much action, and the picture kept going from sharp to not-sharp, sometimes with scanlines visible when the scene changed. (It reminded me of my Amiga 3000's deinterlacer) It interfered with my enjoyment of the movie.

Next, we hooked up to the 34PW9817 through the side s-video and fired up the same scene. It was almost like I had a progressive DVD hooked up. I did not notice any visible motion artifacts. It made up my mind, whatever else Philips did in coming up with the -9817, this made up my mind.

A caveat: I did not mess around with either set's configuration. Also, the -9815 had been around the store for a while, so I don't know how many hours it's been powered-up. Likewise, there are some picture enhancement controls, but I didn't check to see if they were set the same.

Side note: While I was there, I asked if they could tune in CBS since the affiliate is digital now. The salesman walked over to an RCA HD RPTV and tuned in Survivor, probably CBS's only primetime program that ISN'T High-Def! Bad timing on my part...

------------------

--Roland W. Fox

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.