AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very interested in purchasing a Philips Q50AT with Sage/Faroudja DCDi (FLI2200). I have not found much info on the board about it. I did find (google) a shootout on progressive players and it faired very well. No chroma bug issues on new production models.

Please take a moment to post your opinions on this player. Be detailed if you are neagative as to why so.

I've had two other Philips DVD players and excellent service from Philips tech support. They FedEx-ed a firmware update to me, for a DVD player 1 year out of warranty @ no charge!

Many thanks!

Sonicflood

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just google for "progressive scan dvd shootout"

Sonicflood

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
That Q50 has a lot of issues pointed out in that shootout, causing to be rated a lot lower than the top-rated Faroudja-based models. I'd recommend concentrating on getting a Panasonic Rp82,XP30,XP50 or Denon DVD-1600 instead - you won't be sorry!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally posted by ThumperBoy
That Q50 has a lot of issues pointed out in that shootout, causing to be rated a lot lower than the top-rated Faroudja-based models. I'd recommend concentrating on getting a Panasonic Rp82,XP30,XP50 or Denon DVD-1600 instead - you won't be sorry!
I've looked at the"top-rated Faroudja-based models" (that are still available) in the shootouts and I couldn't find one quality brand less than $1000 that scored any better than the Philips Q50, other than the Denon - DVD-910.

All of the models that you mentioned from Panasonic are discontinued and no longer available! The Denons are way more than I want to pay if I can help it ($300 +). I'm not a fan of electronics purchases from eBay, nor a "place an order and hope that they fufill it someday" type of person.

I think I'll try out the Philips. I've got a 30 day trial period to abuse it. I can get it brand new for quite a bit less than the price posted in another thread too.

What's up with the Panasonic models all being discontinued and NO replacements with the Faroudja chip? Were they afraid of giving us too much quality for too little price?

Does anyone on the board own the Philips Q50 unit?

Sonicflood

·
Registered
189 Posts
I just got one and I love the PQ. Razor sharp w/out being grainy.

In the last 4 months I've tried out the following dvd players:

Sony DVPNS725P

Pioneer DV563A

Samsung HD931

Panasonic S55S

Denon 910

Denon 5900- might've been broken ,defective, or incompatible w/my system. I saw it at store and the PQ was jaw dropping!

IMO, the Q50 provided the most bang for the buck especially for the price I got it for!

You might want to do a search for Q50 in this forum. There have been discussions about freezes and pauses. But I did not let that dissuade me.

I am still looking for another DVD player for my big screen. In the meantime, this should hold me over until the next generation of DVI equipped players.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I and a colleague of mine have both owned Q50's. In both instances these machines froze randomly and often would not come out of standby mode without unplugging. My friend persists with his but ultimately my Q50 hung and would not respond, no matter what I did.

Even though it was out of W/T, I negotiated a Q50+cash deal to upgrade to an 963SA player.

Hope you have better luck!

ltw

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've been thrilled with the very impressive image quality of my Philips 963, which has Faroudja, 13-bit/108-mhz video DAC, NSV and DCDI.

However, it locked up randomly - not during a film, mind you, but seems to occasionally "mis-load" a title, as it comes up with video, but no audio and slight pauses every few seconds. Since I replaced the 963's power cord with a bigger, better cord, these problems *seem* to have stopped, but it's certainly too soon to tell whether or not the two things are related. I do get a bit better performance with the better quality power cord, though.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AaronJB
I've been thrilled with the very impressive image quality of my Philips 963, which has Faroudja, 13-bit/108-mhz video DAC, NSV and DCDI.

However, it locked up randomly - not during a film, mind you, but seems to occasionally "mis-load" a title, as it comes up with video, but no audio and slight pauses every few seconds. Since I replaced the 963's power cord with a bigger, better cord, these problems *seem* to have stopped, but it's certainly too soon to tell whether or not the two things are related. I do get a bit better performance with the better quality power cord, though.

I've had similar problems with the 963SA. Mine will randomly lock up while playing audio discs (CD, SACD) and has to be turned off to get control back. Also, it frequently locks up while loading a disc (all types). The display shows "closing" when you load the disc then just locks up there. The only cure is to unplug the unit for a few minutes. It has also locked up several times while navigating the setup menus. The video and audio quality of the player are very good but, it seems that everything you have read about Philips' poor quality control is true.

I replaced it with a Denon DVD-2200 and couldn't be more pleased with it. The 963SA is packed up in its box waiting for me to find time to take it to a repair station (it seems that Philips does not honor their 90 day exchange warranty) I do not have high hopes for it and may just throw it out as I don't feel I could sell it with a clear conscience.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.