AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading a lot about the big boys: Hitachi, Mitsubishi, Sony, Toshiba, etc... I've noticed the price of a Philips 60PP9502 being just a tad over 2K. What gives? No one lately has been really talking about this apparent bargain for a 60 inch screen. Is there some shortcoming compared to the other brands? Is the picture quality not as good? Why is this not a more popular TV of discussion?

Thanks,

Young

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Philips has been one of the best when it comes to HD resolution in the past models. However, they were the worst when it came to the line doublers (Iscan pro was a must). They also were low on the reliability scale.

These new models are obviously built much less expensively (quality is likely still a concern), so HD resolution may not be as great. The line doubler does appear to be much improved.

Definitely worth a look at $2k. I would probably go for an extended warranty though (and I never go for the extended warranties). I recommend a Hitachi, Mitsubishi, or Pioneer over a lesser quality/reliable set with additional warranty.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I just 3 weeks ago purchased the 55" version (same chassis)

Looking at the 2 dozen plus RPTVs in the BestBuy showroom....many were better looking, many were worse. I also knew I could not really base anything in that. Those TV's are on 18 hours a day, not touched unless they break, etc...

I've had very good experiece with Philips items in the past. RPTV technology is pretty standard, so IMO any of them with a proper tune up can look great. The Philips had the details I was looking for, plus the Current rebates were a bonus. (my old speakers drivers were all pretty shot and would take $$$$ to fix or replace. And I had no DVD player yet. The free LX3100D HT system from them will do nicely for a while)

My unit looks much better then the ones I saw in the store...I have black blacks, not green! It's on from 6AM to 11PM with few breaks....I'm very happy with it! Waiting on the HT system to show up so I can finally play those DVD's I've been buying! :D

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Quote:
Philips has been one of the best when it comes to HD resolution in the past models. However, they were the worst when it came to the line doublers (Iscan pro was a must). They also were low on the reliability scale.
Just a slight disagreement, having owned a Philips 64PH9905 for ~28 months. This higher-end model, IMO, has one of the best deinterlacing/scaling systems (Genesis). I've noted complaints about the doublers in later different models, and in cutting costs Philips may have diminished the fidelity of this section. Servicing has been a problem here. Battled to have a board replaced to provide progressive DVD capability; replacing two noisy fans with nearly silent ones was easier. -- John

·
Registered
15 Posts
I disagree with John's disagreement. I have the 64PP9905 and I think the line doubler sucks. I've had to cringe at watching any of the pan/scan material the past 2 years on the S-Video inputs. gonna buy a panny RP82 today so i can watch all dvd material on the ext-hd input...

the scaling does work well. 480P looks great on this monitor. it's just the analog modes that suffer (very very grainy texture, much worse than Iscan Pro). luckily my DTC100 is still working fine in progressive mode... HD 1080i signals on this is unbelievably good.

i'm still overall very happy with my unit, even though it cost $8000+ new almost 3 years ago -- it's still one of the very best units .. those 9" CRTS really make a huge difference.

what kind of fans did you buy john? i definitely want to replace my fans.

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John Mason
Just a slight disagreement, having owned a Philips 64PH9905 for ~28 months. This higher-end model, IMO, has one of the best deinterlacing/scaling systems (Genesis). I've noted complaints about the doublers in later different models, and in cutting costs Philips may have diminished the fidelity of this section. Servicing has been a problem here. Battled to have a board replaced to provide progressive DVD capability; replacing two noisy fans with nearly silent ones was easier. -- John
I stand by my statement...Genesis is one of the worst deinterlacing systems (for non-film/video). I'm pretty sure the new Philips deinterlace much better, but the older sets were horrendous.

You may not realize how bad it is, but once you see Toshiba or Hitachi (or Zenith DTV 1080i) you'll realize just how short it falls.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.