AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have an opinion on this player? I will mainly be using it as a SACD player. How does it compare to others in the $1000 range? Thanks for your inputs.

J

·
Registered
30,627 Posts
Quote:
Does anyone have an opinion on this player?
I haven't actually heard the player, but from the reviews I've read it seems to have very good audio but mediocre video quality. It also has some surprising quirks: e.g., it won't output any PCM data from its digital outs. That's right, you can only listen to CDs through the player's analog outputs; no sending the digital signal to an outboard DAC or pre-amp/processor.

Before you buy the player, I'd suggest you thoroughly and carefully read the reviews at Stereophile and Home Theater magazines.

Best,

Sanjay

·
Registered
27 Posts
In about a week you'll be able to find it for about $399 retail at Tweeter...

one of their "wisebuys"

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:) I know! I work there. That is why I asked. We just picked that piece up. I won't be using it as a DVD player so I am not worried about the video section, just the audio. Thanks guys!!

J

·
Registered
27 Posts
HEY, I heard a rumor that Tweeter may begin carrying Krell and Martin Logan in all it's stores after the first of the year...any truth JC.?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sonofab****! - A $2000 unit reduced to $1K by Philips which I was able to pick up for $750 thinking I got a good deal. Oh well, last year Tweeters had the Directv Tivo unit for $99 which I took advantage of so it's good to hear that there's another great deal to be had even though I don't shop there much.

I'm using my SACD1000 as an audio deck only. I was going to go for the Sony X777es but decided to try the Philips since it would allow me to play some of the 24/96 DADs I've bought over the years along with SACD. I'm using it with my first ever high end rig which I just recently put together so I don't have a lot to compare it to but suffice it to say that I'm quite happy with the sound. Sanjay is right about the lack of PCM data from the digital outs but I think the players internal DACs will probably satisfy you. Check out the reviews he mentions but for $400 you probably can't go wrong. I don't know you're music tastes but with Patricia Barber out on SACD I'm in music heaven.

Philips SACD1000, Manley Stingray Integrated Tube Amp, JM Lab Mini Monitors and Synergistic Reseach cables.

kevin

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know about the Martin Logan going nationwide. I know we were looking for another high end setup after we dropped Proceed, but I don't know if it is Krell. I am glad that ML is going nationwide with us. This happened (I heard) because Ultimate Electronics dropped them. I think they were teed off because they weren't allowed to carry it in the Dallas market because we had them. Oh well! Thanks for the input on the SACD1000 guys. Another question though... What about the DVD962SA or the DVD963SA? How do these compare to the SACD1000?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Got my SACD 1000 today and all I can say is that the music quality in both SACD and redbook is awesome. Haven't tested the video but I don't expect it to be too bad.

Oh, and let me add that SACD is the real thing. It sounds sweet.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I love SACD. I have a stack that is at least a foot long that I use for demos in the store, but I want to listen to it at home! I can't wait to get mine!!

J

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
I bought a SACD1000 from tweeter friday and am very impressed. I had a Studer professional unit with the Philips 16-bit chip set that I modified with Hexfred diodes, OPA2604 Op Amps and BlackGate decoupling caps. This unit equaled the Studer and I expect it to get better after install the Hexfreds and BlackGate Caps.

Today I brought home the 962 to compare against the 1000 as the Philips Website stated it had torodal coil, dual power supply and audiophile parts like the SACD1000. I looked inside, no torodal coil, one power supply board not two but it did have the audiophile MUSE caps.

The 962 does not have the high end extension or soundfield available with the SACD1000. I'm taking the 962 back.

I need to add that I was just listening in 2 channel mode. It is also a pain to get the 962 in 2 channel mode if the SACD has optional multi-channel and 2 channel Stereo. The 962 defaults to 2 channel each time you put a SACD in when the SACD has the multi channel track.

Kurtis

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
I asked the manager at the local Tweeters and he said that this sell for $399 has depleted the chains stock of over 1,000 units, JCHanifan could probably verify this. I ended up getting two, one for my sound system (I use it for a CD/SACD player only and didn't even connect the video) and another for my bedroom where I use it for DVD/CD/SACD functions. My local Tweeters was brand new and had an additional 10% off store opening so I got mine even cheaper.

There seem to be quite a few who bought these to turn a profit as they are really showing up on eBay right now.

Kurtis

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.