AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a Philips 52" TV 52PFL7422D/37 and a Philips Home Theater HTS3566D. When I connect the TV to the HT via the TV's digital coax audio out, the sound cuts in and out rapidly. This happens both on pass through and with the TV's QAM tuner. It is most pronounced when there is 5.1 audio, less so when the audio is 2 channel stereo.

Connecting my computer directly using coax to the HT results in stable audio. Although that is a solution, it leaves my cable box connected to an analog input. The TV would allow me to have several devices all pass through using digital.

I assume either the TV's digital out is bad or there is a compatibility issue between the HT and the TV. I have installed that latest firmware on both, with no luck.

Has anyone experienced this? Is there a possible fix?

Thanks,

Nite Rider

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
HDtvs optical out does not pass surround, only stereo. Connect the HD cable box's optical out or coax digital out cable directly to your surround receiver optical or digital coax input. For all items you are setting up with HDTV: Connect all video cables directly into the tv. Connect all audio cables directly into the receiver, no matter what type of audio, it will produce better sound than running sound thru the tv and out it's optical.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought this system and am curious about the cabling. Both HT and TV guides recommend using HDMI. If I connect the cable box directly to the HT using Optical audio, what happens to audio signal going to the HDTV via HDMI? Is it just overlooked because the TV speakers are bypassed? Is there any loss of sound quality? Also, if video and audio signal from HT DVD player goes to TV via HDMI, does the audio independently pipe through HT instead of TV speakers?

Thanks...

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Some Mot. cable boxes have problems with HDMI to the tv (if you run into problems, just use component red/green/blue cables, they are fine for HD). If yours is working well, then that is good and using it is fine. If you plug the HDMI into the tv, and then plug the optical directly into your receiver from the cable box, turn off the tv speakers, the sound will come out of your surround system, just be sure to turn off your tv speakers so they don't echo. There is no loss of sound quality from the cable box because it's only 5.1 at it's best and optical can handle that.

In the future if you get a blu ray, it can put out sound, from some disks, which optical cannot fully handle. So people buy expensive receivers which can decode the blu ray in it's fullest form and then they plug the hdmi into the receiver and then an hdmi from the receiver to the tv.

But I will tell you, I have a blu ray hooked with HDMI to my tv and optical to my receiver and the sound is great, shakes the room and clear as a bell. So I don't think the extra expense is necessary. And again, I hook the HDMI to the tv, the optical to the receiver.

You do have to go into the set up menu of the dvd player and tell it to use bitstream for sound if using optical.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteriderxp /forum/post/14347825

Hi,

I have a Philips 52" TV 52PFL7422D/37 and a Philips Home Theater HTS3566D. When I connect the TV to the HT via the TV's digital coax audio out, the sound cuts in and out rapidly. This happens both on pass through and with the TV's QAM tuner. It is most pronounced when there is 5.1 audio, less so when the audio is 2 channel stereo.

Connecting my computer directly using coax to the HT results in stable audio. Although that is a solution, it leaves my cable box connected to an analog input. The TV would allow me to have several devices all pass through using digital.

I assume either the TV's digital out is bad or there is a compatibility issue between the HT and the TV. I have installed that latest firmware on both, with no luck.

Has anyone experienced this? Is there a possible fix?

Thanks,

Nite Rider

Hi,

I experience the exact same problem, I have a Philips 47" LCD, 47PFL7403, and a Yamaha RX-V1400 receiver. When I connect the TV to the Yamaha via the TV's digital coax audio out, the sound cuts in and out rapidly...

Is the TV's digital out is bad or what? I have tried several input on the receiver with same results. I haven't this issue with my other components (Sony DVD, Sony PS3, Logitech Squeezebox and so on...)

Any clue?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a Phillips LCD tv as well but don't have the model number as I am at work.

The TV passes through digital multi channel on the co-axial out (from the input) from the xbox 360 and media player perfectly.

But as others are also reporting the internal tuner for digital tv seems to break up. Unfortunately my Kenwood tuner losses sound forever and it doesn't come back when this happens. The way to return it is too either change the input channel on the reciever and return back to the tv input channel or change the channel and back again on the tv.

Now this appears weird to me how it only happens on the tv tuner and not the other pass thorough inputs on 2 channel and multi channel digital. Analog out works fine with no interferance. So I'm thinking the source of the problem is the internal tv tuner and not the audio receiver (although the continued loss may be due to the audio receivers co-axial input).

Could it be possible that a co-axial to TOSlink converter would fix the problem? Or is the digital sound passed through in the same language and just the signal is transported through a different method? I have both kinds of inputs on the receiver.

EDIT: I should also note that the sound disappears when the air conditioner switches on so it appears it is an interference problem and only the tv tuner signal is effected. All digital is passed through the same cable that is a decent 75 ohm co-axial cable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts