AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a Philips 32PW9527. It's a 76cm HDTV widescreen with Pixel Plus. Matched this up with a Dodgytec 2000a HDSTB and seems to work fine EXCEPT for one (to my way of seeing) serious problem.

The TV has some real problems with vertical distortion - both parabolic distortion at the top corners of the screen in 4:3 mode and "wobbles" down both sides of the picture in areas of high contrast sections of the image. Looks like very fast waves rippling along the frame of the picture.

Any boxes on the screen - e.g. overlays used by the stations to indicate the upcoming show or the details of an advertised show, never look square.

Have already invited the Philips approved (not actually Philips) technician out and he says the TV is operating within specs. He used the test image to line up the picture as best he could. He said such distortion was normal in wide screen TVs.

In the real world of course, no one watches just test signals so any straight vertical lines on an image (door/window frames, goal posts etc) also display this distortion.

Have checked this with other HDTVs, including real cheapos such as "Palsonic" that don't appear to have this problem.

Both the display models and my box seem to have the same problem - I guess I was attracted to the overall image quality which was very impressive.

Is such distortion normal or have I got myself a lemon? Has anyone else had this experience with this problem on other sets?

Any comments welcome.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Here's a hint from a fellow aussie ... you're in the wrong forum ;)

You should be here

Cheers :)

Russ

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.