AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if these two issues are related or not. The picture on my Phillips 60pp9202 is really blurry. The text outlines are not sharp at all. This only seems to be on the bright white text colors though. I have tried adjusting the focus on the blue crt, but the picture is still blurry. It's almost like watching video that was recorded by pointing a consumer DV tape camera at a TV. The whites are overly bright, and the blacks are too dark to see.

The second issue is the screen shrinking, or resizing (not sure how to describe it). Whenever there is a bright white or blue color on the screen (like a full screen explosion, or even just a full screen ad with a blue background.) the screen "scrunches" up so it's no longer square. This happens on all inputs, RGB, satellite through the tuner, and component. UPDATE: I tried switching the display settings on my xbox 360 from 1080i to 480p, and that dramatically reduced the screen resizing. For example, when I start Halo 3 and the display is set to 1080i (1080p produces two images, side by side) the actual picture separates from the sides of the screen by almost 8 inches on both sides, and continues to flicker. When I start in 480p the screen only separates by about .5, to 1 inch from each side.

I can try to get pictures later, it's really hard to describe the resizing problem.

EDIT- UPDATE: it looks like the blurry picture is mostly just misconfigured settings on my part, i'm going to try to get a copy of AVIA II.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Not sure if this is the same problem you are having or not without seeing pics. I own the same set as you and had my convergence IC go bad earlier this year. Someone else had this problem later and I posted in his thread. Here is the thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1078506 If you look through there you will see a link I posted to a website that describes how to repair it in detail to fix the problem. It also shows pictures of what his TV was doing to warrant the fix. If you can post some pics I could possibly tell you if thats the problem, but that is what fixed it for me. All in all it was about a $70 DIY fix compared to $400 or so for a shop.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, that was me. I fixed the convergence problem (there was also a broken copper line on the circuit board that I had to bridge). This seems to be a different problem. The colors are lined up correctly, just out of focus.

While you're here, what does the power cord look like on your model? I got this used, and it looks like the power cable might have been replaced. The one that is on there now has no grounding pin, and looks like it's made out of the same material as the cord on Christmas tree lights.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Hah, I guess it would help if I actually looked at the people who posted in that thread!

My power cord doesn't have a grounding pin either. It is rectangular in shape around where the pins are and kind of looks like ||||||[ if that makes any sense.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.