AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SGHT latest issue states the Phillips will be sellinga 50" LCoS set this summer. Anyone know anymore info on the set?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like they are just monitors for HDTV. I was hoping for a built in tuner and the ability to attach digital cable directly to the TV without a set top box. I hope the new agreement between cable and manufacuters allow for this by this summer.

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by irfoton
I was hoping for a built in tuner and the ability to attach digital cable directly to the TV ... by this summer.
I wouldn't be surprised to see the type of sets you describe start trickling into stores this July/August and increase toward the end of the year. Christmas may come early in Q4/03!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm very interested in hearing if the single chip LCoS systems have the same "rainbow" problems that DLP systems have.

It's also interesting to note that the big weight difference. The Phillips system is under a hundred pounds while the Toshiba is several hundred. I do wonder why the Toshiba is so heavy?

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
The Toshiba uses a big, heavy piece of glass on the front which requires a big heavy counterweight in the back.

I suspect Philips avoids this by using plastic or much thinner glass.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JamesElrod
Anyone heard if we will start seeing the philips set any time soon?
I inquired with their customer service department if any more information was available on these sets and got the following boiler plate response. :(

Quote:
Thank you for your e-mail requesting information on our LCOS units.

We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you.

Unfortunately, we do not have information on this units yet and there is no specific release date yet.

If there is anything else we can assist you with, please do not hesitate to contact us at our web site which is www.philipsusa.com.

Thank you

Sincerely

Edward Okeke

PhilipsUsa Customer Support

·
Registered
918 Posts

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
I'm sorry to see those side mounted speakers. They add width, a more massive look and not much if any value.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I'm hoping they never release a 500:1 model. That will reflect very poorly on the technology in general.

Mark

·
Registered
341 Posts
I just called Philips and asked when their lcos tvs will be available. Their response was rather wishy washy saying "we don't have that information yet, but we anticipate they will be available sometime early this summer."

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
I'm hoping they never release a 500:1 model. That will reflect very poorly on the technology in general.
Judging from their other displays, they're like sony in favouring brightness over contrast (relative to others, anyway).

Actually, it might be pretty decent if it were ansi contrast.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by voripteth
I'm very interested in hearing if the single chip LCoS systems have the same "rainbow" problems that DLP systems have.
I thought the "rainbow" effect was related to the space between the micromirrors, not the color wheel? I believe LCoS has a tighter pixel placement, so they WOULD have a lower chance of getting the "rainbow" effect. While I like seeing more LCoS systems coming out, I'd favor the 3-chip version of the Toshiba with a 1080p display (albeit it doesn't accept a 1080p signal... deinterlacing circuitry only). I prefer no moving parts.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Being single chip, the Philips LCOS price point lines up nicely with the Samsung DLP.

I'm hoping for a price war between the Samsung DLP and the Phililps LCOS sets. :)

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bigRoN
I thought the "rainbow" effect was related to the space between the micromirrors, not the color wheel? I believe LCoS has a tighter pixel placement, so they WOULD have a lower chance of getting the "rainbow" effect. While I like seeing more LCoS systems coming out, I'd favor the 3-chip version of the Toshiba with a 1080p display (albeit it doesn't accept a 1080p signal... deinterlacing circuitry only). I prefer no moving parts.
I like "no moving parts" too. I don't see "rainbows" but moving parts and bearings lead to trouble.

Your theory about what causes the "rainbow" effect is a new one to me. I don't think I have run into it here in the forums. How would that theory explain the absence of "rainbows" in three chip sets like the Sony GWII or the three chip DLP front projectors?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Each chip in an DLP, LCD or LCoS can only create grayscale images. Filters are used to add color and that is what a color wheel does.

All single chip units needs to render an R image followed by G and then B. It isn't a full color image. Your eye is fooled into seeing full color by rapidly drawing these three passes and letting persistence of vision create the optical illusion.

Rainbows occur when an image moves rapidly on screen or your eye looks across the screen. The artifact occurs because you don't get all three RGB passes hitting the same part of the retina.

Three chip systems have a chip dedicated to the R, G and B colors so the set is able to render a full color image all the time. There is no illusion involved so there aren't any rainbows.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bigRoN
voripteth does a good job explaining the "rainbow effect" above. What you are describing is the "screendoor effect" which is where it looks like you are seeing the picture through a screen. Reducing the space between pixels definitely helps with this. There is no screendoor effect on the Toshiba LCoS, for example, unless you are standing 3 inches from the screen :D!

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
The rainbow effect is entirely related to the color wheel, or more accurately, to rapidly switching between the three colors of light. It has nothing to do with the screendoor effect at all.

Incidentally, all manufacturers of this stuff tend to quote contrast in the same way and tend to inflate contrast specs above what is measured. Anyone quoting 500:1 is going to deliver less (well, maybe not Epson) and I hope they don't release the 500:1 model. There was talk around CES 2003 that there would be a 500:1 model, then something better soon after. The 500:1 should be killed in the design stage. If the intro is 6 months later, fine.

mark

·
Registered
548 Posts
If Toshiba is bringing the 57HL83 at $5500 MSRP this fall, then Phillips is going to have to be REALLY competitive or I can see them scrapping their venture altogether.

Toshiba is a 3 panel LCOS at 1080P. Kevin (a forum member) measured his actual contrast on a 57HLX82 at surplus of 1100:1 a month or two back. Cost of $5500 (theoretically).

Phillips will be releasing a single panel LCOS at 720P. They're claiming 500:1 contrast. Cost of ????

What I'm getting at here is that Unless their 55" is really good at around $1500-$2000 cheaper than the Toshiba, I don't see them grabbing their slice of the market that they'd be interested in acquiring with their set. I hope they have success, but that's only because I like t see all of the technologies competing heavily with one another so that we (the consumer) benefit with a better product in the end.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.