AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I dont have many to compare to (Other than side by sides at BB)

But I am very happy.

Only thing I dont like (which seems to be the norm with any HD set) is that when you feed it a crap signal like digital cable it looks like crap

·
Registered
577 Posts
I'm very interested in any comments or reviews by a Phillips owner.

The Phillips are attractively priced, below the Pana/Pioneer/Fujit/Sony ones, but above the ViewSonic/Sampo's. Waiting for some 50" HD plasma to go under $5000, or even $4000, then I'll jump in. Middle of 2004?

Silvergt02: tell us more! Model? size? price?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Sorry to say this, but last time I watched a Phillips plasma, I made a mental note to myself. Note = some TVs are unwatchable. The motion and artifacts were awful and distracting.

This could have been the feed (demo CD), the settings, the cables. It was not the lighting or the distance.

It was not a conclusive viewing regarding Phillips. My note was to make sure that I would be very happy watching a given TV - and if I could not actually see the TV perform well - don't buy it. To not make excuses (especially at this kind of money,) if it cannot prove itself as worthy - don't assume and don't take it home.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, in my opinion, you cannot do a true comparison on any TV without taking them home with you and playing with them. Walking into Best Buy or any other store and looking at TVs side by side is NOT a comparison. There are so many variables.

I almost bought the Sampo for 3000 at BB until I noticed that it was an ED set. Why buy a plasma if its ED (just my opinion) I then looked at the Phillips which had speakers and was an HD set. My thinking is this:

All sets with the same features on paper should basically do the same thing. (with proper calibrations)

I am happy with this screen. The one thing that I need to do is get the external tuner/scaler. It seems that this E Box (as Phillips calls it) makes a world of difference when watching SD broadcasts.

Right now im sending DVD signals via a Phillips prog scan DVD player and HD and SD braodcasts.

The HD is obviously amazing...the DVD is awesom and the SD broadcasts suck...but I guess thats to be expected with any HD screen

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just logged some time in front of a new Phillips 42" HD plasma at my local Magnolia Hi FI and the picture was as impressive as the Fuji, Panny, and Pioneer Elite sharing the display. The salesman stated that the new Phillips plasmas were significantly improved and would give the big sellers a run for their money. The 42" will be accompanied by a 50" and rumor has it- a 61".

My $0.02/cbd

·
Registered
85 Posts
i too am a philips plasma owner.

42FD9954 w/ the accompanying ebox FTR-9965 (w/ pixel plus)

overall, i can say that i'm pretty pleased. we originally bought it b/c the wife really liked the esthetics of the casing.....and it happened to be on sale at a local B&M store for cheaper than most internet sites, so i jumped on it.

i was worried about SD performance as well as the complexities of the wallmount/wire hide, so i bought the ebox.

picture quality in SD (i have digital cable) is excellent, especially on the higher numbered movie channels. i can honestly say that they are par with DVD's. maybe it's my signal, maybe it's the e-box. i don't know. i've never watched my tv without the ebox so i can't really tell you the differences. all i know is that SD is surprisingly satisfactory with my setup.

don't know anything about HD just yet. i'm getting D* HD hooked up next week. i'll tell you more then.

one thing i notice about the philips + ebox is the digital natural motion feature. i can't say whether i like it or not. it makes things look very natural and makes every movie seem like it was filmed in video rather than film. very clear, lifelike and 3 dimensional, but i don't know if i like it. i want my movies look like movies and not like it was recorded from a digital camcorder.

btw.....does anybody know if the philips plasma supports 720p. i've looked everywhere but can't get a solid confirmation one way or another.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was just thinking the same thing. Where are all the Philips posts?

I don't even no how to take the lack of posts. Does few posts mean few problems? Or, does few posts mean few endorsements?

All I know is that if I don't own "Panny" or "Fuji" or "Pio", I barely count on these forums and not just because I can spend the time to type out the entire name of the manufacturer (however, I might have to rethink m-a-n-u-f-a-c-t-u-r-e-r).

I guess it is up to us to build our own little community. I was wondering what to do with the box for my display, now I can use it for our clubhouse ;)

The price for the ebox is a bit steep. Are there any other, less expensive options? I got my 42" Philips for free (see other post...the one with very few replies...except for gingurus'...thanks, pal) and it is starting to look like the "free" display will cost me quite a bit. I guess I am a cheap former CRT-guy.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I have asked a similar question about lack of Sony posts. Did we scare them all away?

I have asked specific Sony owners (the ones that obviously post here) more than once to post more detailed PQ observations. They don't have to be like Rich's (Harkness) but surely they can post more than HD looks great and SD sucks or this display blew me away? Which is basically as much as we get.

Here is an example of some pretty detailed observations from someone who does not call himself an expert on PQ:
First impressions
Follow up post

·
Registered
85 Posts
there are several reasons why we don't see philips posts or sony posts. it's because very few who frequent the plasma forum actually own these sets. i don't think it's necessarily speaks badly about the tv or the manufacturer, it just means that they are not popular here for a variety of reasons.

1. they are not cheap. not a good bang for your buck ratio. especially since the picture isn't necessarily better.

2. most sony/philips are consumer displays. people here like the flexibility and the lower cost of commercial displays. while consumer displays makes it simple for the joe blow to plug and play. the true aficionados on this board like the flexibility of video cards, DVI cards, inputs, etc. also most philips/sony consumer displays come with built in speaker and tend to have a "silver look", which isn't necessarily popular here.

people here that do own sony and/or philips are not necessarily hardcore videophiles who have a strong presence here. they may be lurkers or infrequent visitors....hence, no posts on these displays.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
FWIW,

Recently saw a bunch of Phillips displays when hunting down a "working" 45" ED Panny. I was WoWed by the picture of a small 32"? Phillips but was told by the salesman that it has ghosting during fast motion. Hmmm.......

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I've taking a peek at the Phillips models while browsing around the Bose store (don't ask) in the furniture store. They had several sizes, and none of them really impressed me.

The 50" was playing Episode II from a Bose integrated system. The darks were not very impressive, and there was definately quite a bit of ghosting.

The 42 (believe it was the 9954 HD model) was a little better with blacks (probably better calibrated) but still showed some amount of ghosting. (Running an HD loop of some nature)

Finally, the 37 was not to bad. But for the prices involved, I'd much rather go with some other brands. The fast motion artifacts were too much of a turn off to me.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I am considering to buy my first new plasma and I went to many stores here in Hong Kong. I compared many models side by side hitachi pd42a3000, panasonic 5, fujitsu, pioneer 433hde and new philips with pixel plus 42pf9965 here in hong kong is 42fd9954 with the e-box ftr9965. I picture quality of philips is the best with that pixel plus on, no other plasms tv can match the pq of philips, i just cannot believe how sharp the picture was. I know many people are complaining about the pixel plus problems that maybe on the crt tvs but on this plasma i did not notice any problem at all. The regular tv channels are also the best comparing to other plasma tvs. If you don't believe me go to the store near you and check it out. I am sure you will be amazed by the details of the picture. I am actually looking for a true hd plasma. Philips 9965 is alis panel and progressive panel is available but lower resolution 852x480. So I can't really make up my mind as to which one to buy.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Can anyone please tell me, if I connect my dvd player directly to the panel (not using the E box) and if I feed it with a dvd with 4:3 ratio or 16:9 ratio, Can I make it full screen or do any other adjustments to the picture?

I heard from Philips that all the functions are in the E box like PIP, widescreen, Pixel Plus, zoom, full screen and etc etc. So If I don't use the E box I cannot do any adjustments to the picture, it will be as it is.

If I cannot change it then shouldn't I be concerned with the burn in issue since there will be black bars on top and bottom?

Is it true?

Any suggestions?

By the way, here there is also an SD model available 42FD9953(852 x 480) resolution with FTR9965 E box. Actually I'm considering this one because I prefer the progressive panel rather than the ALIS 42FD9954(1024 x 1024).

Thanks

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I have seen the Philips 42FD9935 sitting next to the Fujitsu 42" ED. Both were on the same feed and they demonstrated both HD and broadcast SD.

The Philips was $1500 less than the Fujitsu. The pictures were almost exactly the same. Neither the Philips ED nor the Fujitsu seemed to show the "screendoor" that is so common with ED monitors.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.