AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can get a Phillips Q50AT for less than $300. Is this worth it? How would it compare to the "legendary" RP-82? I appreciate any comments.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
192 Posts
The DVD Player shootout talks about this player and the RP-82. There are a few more issues with the Q50AT, but none of them were dealbreakers in my viewpoint.

If you get this player you'll want to get the latest version of the firmware, it can stutter with earlier versions.

A major advantage of this player over anything else in this price/quality range is that it can easily be modified to play movies from any region.

I have the Q50 and a Panasonic RX30 (like the RP82 but without DVD-A). I prefer the Q50 and the XP30 is going on eBay or being returned to the store.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jrschmidt
I can get a Phillips Q50AT for less than $300. Is this worth it? How would it compare to the "legendary" RP-82? I appreciate any comments.

Thanks,

John
I too saw this at the Good Guys for

1. There is no way to remove the alternate angle icon during alternate angles

2. Some P-U-P options stuck from one DVD to another, needing a power cycle to reset the system.

3. Sometimes, it just locks up altogether.

This model had a firmware version 4.15.14, I believe. Quality vs. the XP30 was a bit better, but not worth the bugs and extra price. Of course, to go find an XP30 or XP50 now is a bit of a hunt, but I think Sharper Image still has some. If you already have the RP82, I'd say don't bother with the Q50. If you're deciding, try one out from a B&M store so you can return it if you don't like it.

Ed

·
Registered
35 Posts
I actually saw that about the alternate angle thing. I have the movie following with two angles and it seems the little icon is always there. Do you guys have the same problem ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.