AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone able to pick up Philadelphia digital stations from Morris County, NJ? If so, which antenna (+ amp) to use?

Thanks,

Ben

·
Registered
131 Posts
I am able to pick up most of philly stations from Whitehouse Station NJ. I used a $29 radioshack antenna with approx $30 radioshack signal amplifier. The amplifier was a must. I got twice the number of channels once I installed the amp.

BTW, the antenna was mounted in the attic.

·
Registered
35 Posts
chingko

I am able to get all Philly DT stations from Hightstown NJ (and all NYC that are available except WNET). I am quite a bit south of you but I thought the datapoint might help you. I am using an antenna in my attic with an amp. The Amp is very important. If you need specific equip model numbers let me know and I'll look them up.

------------------

JD Sherman

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm on the Warren/Morris border, and I've had no luck getting NY or Philly. I tried the Radio Shack VU190 w/an amp, and got just KYW at a signal strength ranging from 1-10.

I'm toying with the idea of going with a Channel Master antenna and amp, which seems to be the product of choice on this forum. I'm 800 feet above sea level, but I guess the distance from NY and Philly was too great. The Scranton PA analogs come in fine, so I'll be a happy camper once they go digital.

Good luck,

Paul

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was able to pick up a snowy analog 10 (NBC) after several attempts with rotating the antenna in the attic. That's the only thing I can pick up. By the way, the antenna was on sale at Radio Shack. It's a VU-90XR Model 15-2152 list price $40, sale price $25. Amp I used is also from Radio Shack.

Ben

·
Registered
181 Posts
Ben,

Where in Morris County are you? I would think if you want Philly stations, you're going to need to head to the roof, not to the attic. If you're in eastern Morris, your new Radio Shack setup ought to give you NY stations with decent quality.

Check antennaweb.org for a list of stations you can receive from your address.

Good luck,

Paul

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have a damaged Channel Master Parascope in my attic in West Orange with a Q-bit amplifier.I receive KYW and WPVI 100% of the time.FOX about 50%,WCAU-20%,WHYY-10-5%.I'm going to a roof mounted Channel Master with rotor and 7777 pre-amp.Hopefully the weaker Philly stations will improve and I'll be able to receive WLVT.The analog of WLVT comes in with a little snow.I'm using a Samsung sir-t150 STB.BTW,the first night I installed the Samsung I received WMAR in Baltimore.This was very surprising since it operates on channel 52 and an analog 52 is just 45 miles away in Trenton and about 20 degrees off the beamcenter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
rcodey, what part of West Orange? I'm in Montclair near downtown, and I don't have a rotator. Right now I'm pointed at NYC, which would have been fine up until two weeks ago http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif . I get CBS, FOX, UPN, and a signal but no input on Ch25. If I get a rotator for my (high) rooftop RS U-75R, do you think it will allow me to get PA stations with my Panasonic DST50 STB? I guess I can climb up and reposition the antenna to try--probably the only way to know for sure.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Paul,

I had been receiving all the NY digital stations using the famed double bowtie in my attic. Now I want to pick up the Philly stations. If I have to put one up on the roof, can anyone recommend a good and reasonably priced installer (Morristown area or Parsippany area)? Thanks.

rcodey,

That's encouraging news about the KYW (CBS) and WPVI (ABC) signals. ABC is my target since I still get NY CBS. Also hoping that the Montclair PBS DT starts operating soon.

Ben

·
Registered
453 Posts
Chinko,

I just used Tom from ATB Sytems.He is from the Rockaway area.973-927-3648.

Acheney,

Downtown Montclair might be difficult area to receive Philadelphia tv.You are on the Eastern slope of the Watchung(or Orange mountain).That mountain is between you and Philadelphia.Reception of Philadelphia tv is possible on top of the mountain in Monclair above Upper Mountain Ave.I'm in the St.Cloud area of West Orange off of Walker rd.,just on the beginning of the Western slope of the mountain.I can receive several analog Philadelphia tv stations(with snowy picture)in my house with a 2.5'tv.

·
Registered
132 Posts
For what it's worth, I'm in Livingston on the west side of the ridge near St. Barnabus, and have an 89" Winegard yagi on the roof and the above-mentioned Channel Master amp. I get the Trenton PBS beautifully and the Philly CBS, but the latter sometimes has drop outs. I'm using the venerable DTC-100 and the lovely Tosh 40 incher.

·
Registered
196 Posts
You should be able to pick up several of the Philly DTV stations with the right antenna. I used to watch WPVI's analog signal on channel 6 many years ago when I lived in Maplewood, east side of the Watchung Mountains.

KYW-26 runs 750 kW ERP and will be the easiest to pick up. WPVI-64 has an antenna atop KYW and runs 500 kW ERP. These will be your two 'best bets'.

WTXF-42 runs 319 kW from a lower tower about a mile NW, and is notr going to be as easy to grab. WCAU-67 is on a temporary tower and running even less power - 112 kW ERP - so don't depend on them for reliable reception.

WHYY-55 runs 87 kW ERP, and their antenna favors a SW direction. They will be the most difficult to pick up.

A better choice for PBS digital would be either WLVT-62 in Allentown (should be easy for Hackettstown) or WNJN-43 in Trenton, which is now at full power. Both stations has set their encoders to send out 1080i for the time being.

Remember that all of the stations listed are UHF. Don't bother with any combo VHF/UHF antenna, as it will NOT have enough gain in the UHF band. Switch to all-UHF antennas, such as the CM3021 4-bay, or CM3022/3023.

You may also need a preamp - use the CM 7775 as it works very, very well. Stay away from the Radio Shack cartridge UHF preamp - it is too unstable and breaks into oscillation.

For more info on preamps and antennas - and DTV reception in general - go to www.projectorexpert.com.

KC

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My progress report: With a CM4221 antenna and a CM7775 preamp in the attic, I am able to pick up CBS 26, ABC 64, and PBS Trenton 43. It's good I didn't have to put these up on the roof. The RS double bowtie is still being used for NY CBS, FOX and UPN.

It indeed can be done!! 80+ miles from Philly.

Ben

·
Registered
181 Posts
I called Stark Electronics and ordered the CM antenna and amp, and wow, what a difference! I'm pulling in ABC/CBS/NBC DT out of Philly in the 60-70 range and the two Allentown digitals at 100%. Scranton analogs also look great, but I'll have to wait until '02 for digital.

I'm over 80 miles from Philly and 60 miles from NYC, but I couldn't get anything from the Empire State.

Thank you Channel Master!

Those of you in the hills of Western Jersey, don't give up!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.