AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you in the Phoenix area, heads-up on the Gateway 12 IMAX theater showing The Dark Knight. I was there for a Sunday screening, and it was truly a terrible presentation. The list is rather long.

First, the screen luminance was very low, rendering the print very muddy looking and very low on both sequential contrast and infra-scene contrast. Ambient light level in the theater unexceptably pollutes the screen. If I had to hazard a guess, I would say that reference white luminance might have been 8 or 9 fL...and it is a gain screen!

There was a terribly visible lack of luminance uniformity at the edges of IMAX-shot material.

There was the most nastily distracting "floating/swimming" pieces of dirt that remained on the screen in perfect focus for maybe 15 seconds, suddenly disappear, then more would return soon.

The sound system seems very capable, but was ridiculously loud. This was so loud that it lost its impact. There was no more headroom left in human hearing for the level it was playing, therefore it lacked any dynamics.

Needless to say, I scorched them but good and got my money back...as we drove two hours from another city with a car load of people. Grrrr...

I recommend that you stay clear of this IMAX theater. I don't know what the status on the one on the other side of the valley that has TDK. Good luck.

I'll be visiting a fine 35mm theater I know and trust to try to enjoy this picture...or wait until it comes home.

·
Premium Member
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I gave the theater corporate office a call and spoke to them about these issues. They promised to check out the lamphouse output to make sure it is maxed-out/up to specs. I was told that TDK IMAX prints they have around the country have been very dirty. He also explained that in the projector there is a shot of air that blows across the gate every 15 seconds to clear dust...which sounds exactly like what I was seeing.

·
Registered
9,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector.B /forum/post/14344163

has anyone seen this at the PORTAGE 16 IMAX theatre in Indiana?

No, but a co-worker saw it at the Hamilton 16 IMAX (Carmel) and said it was awesome. Course, all theaters aren't equal, as Cam Man can attest.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts