AVS Forum banner

7421 - 7440 of 11946 Posts

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,421

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCat /forum/post/16382313

Am I wrong to think it might be a little odd that folks are pining away for these channels and might also be a little over-excited or at least a bit over-concerned about either not having them yet or finally getting them?...............................I guess I'm happy to see everyone finally get them, but I don't quite see how it rates event status, even if you didn't have them before. Maybe I'm just too jaded?

Different priorities I guess. I'm always happy to get new HD channels, but the hourly updates (
) do get a little old. In our local forum, it seems like some are sending Cox hourly emails to find out when they are going to get new channels. It doesn't help though that they get different answers each time.

·
Registered
277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ /forum/post/16383844

Different priorities I guess. I'm always happy to get new HD channels, but the hourly updates (
) do get a little old. In our local forum, it seems like some are sending Cox hourly emails to find out when they are going to get new channels. It doesn't help though that they get different answers each time.

I think that this current frenzy has been driven by two things. One, Cox Phoenix has been SO behind the curve on the addition of new HD channels, compared not only to DirecTV/Dish and other cable providers, but even other Cox markets. When you're starving, every little morsel seems like a feast. And two, Cox's neverending stream of misinformation and missed deadlines just serves to stir that pot of discontent.

If Cox comes through with the next batch of 17 channels in July, I feel that we'll finally be caught up with most of the other major markets and providers, and generally offering most of what's actually available so any subsequent HD additions will probably be taken more in stride.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-on-Mrng-Vsta /forum/post/16383721

And the HD channel carries the east coast feed

Most of our HD channels are the east coast feed. The premium channels are exceptions to the rule.

·
Registered
85 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fade23 /forum/post/16384119

I think that this current frenzy has been driven by two things. One, Cox Phoenix has been SO behind the curve on the addition of new HD channels, compared not only to DirecTV/Dish and other cable providers, but even other Cox markets. When you're starving, every little morsel seems like a feast. And two, Cox's neverending stream of misinformation and missed deadlines just serves to stir that pot of discontent.

If Cox comes through with the next batch of 17 channels in July, I feel that we'll finally be caught up with most of the other major markets and providers, and generally offering most of what's actually available so any subsequent HD additions will probably be taken more in stride.

Very True fade23 when i first sign up with Cox HD service I couldn't believe the so little HD channels Cox provide. Now since Cox is adding almost Thirty HD channels it's nice to see that Cox finally live up their promise as our friend in the digital age. Once the rollout is complete the frenzy will die down.

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,426

Quote:
Originally Posted by fade23 /forum/post/16384119

Having been around for awhile now, I doubt it. As new members get HDTVs, the "frenzy" heats up. Any time someone posts a rumor about new HD channels the emails to Cox start and the frenzy starts anew. The difference now is that almost all channels being added have very little HD to offer. But, if they offer even one program in HD that you watch, then it's nice to have that channel.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasRaven /forum/post/16382445

Well of course it is no big deal for you, you've had them for some time thanks to your service provider of choice. Good for you! Many of us here have endured slipped dates and piecemeal deployment of these channels for half a year, not to mention a price increase in the interim. So for us, we're happy that the long awaited has finally arrived. I'm sure you can relate in some way to the fulfillment of desire...

I can; but its not like I was trying to rub your nose in it, after all. What was kind of my point was, is that when 100 HD channels became available on DTV in 2007, it wasn't like DTV subs started acting like the ice cream truck bell just went off or like the circus had come to town. As another poster put it, there was no "current frenzy" comparable to what is happening on this thread.

On the contrary, DTV subs at that time resisted greatly, because even though the upgrade was virtually free, to get the HD channels you had to give up Tivo, which was what lured many of us there in the first place, plus you had to open your home up to installers for the new dish, a dish who's sheer size alone does not make it a favorite among those suffering from the "wife factor". Two years later there are still a lot of stragglers with a "not 'til you can pry it from my cold, dead hands" attitude about Tivo over there. DTV in some ways ironically shot themselves in the foot by offering the DTivo, as it was a very hard act to follow. But kudos to them for eventually prevailing with a superior platform.

Which means that maybe that POV of clinging to their DTivos is just as ridiculous, as what replaced the HD DTivo is not only a terrific contender to the throne, but in many ways is revolutionarily better than the HD DTivo, and possibly even more reliable, affordable, and expandable. I have 2 each of the DTV HD DVR+ and the older Tivo HR10-250. At this point, if DTV said I could only keep one or the other, it would have to be "buh-bye, Tivo".

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasRaven /forum/post/16382445

Now to your point about these networks meaning nothing because the networks still air primarily in SD. Have you seen the difference in some broadcasts when compressed to fit in the 2-3 nets/pipe for analog cable? Many SD shows benefit dramatically just from being allowed less compression and TDS and TCR are among the best known for this effect. Which is to neglect the fact that much of COMHD's best original programming has already moved to HD production including South Park, Reno 911!, and Comedy Central Presents.

Well, lets not put words in my mouth. What I remarked about was that COMHD means very little to me because none of the content I watch there is in HD yet, not that these channels being in HD means nothing.

While I agree that having an HD path as opposed to an SD path makes a difference, I think it pales besides the difference that having an HD infrastructure for producing, editing, and distributing SD programs to the vendors has made, which is something even you who are waiting for HD can enjoy. The point where the opportunity for degradation is the most critical is the point where the images are first digitized and compressed. If that is done to a sub-par image, it suffers much more from compression artifacts than if the image is pristine to begin with. If you compare an SD channel today to the same channel 5 years ago, even if the delivery path has not changed, the quality level is probably improved more from the replacement of SD infrastructure on the production end than it is by being delivered with an HD path. The good news is that its all good--the HD revolution had improved everything, including SD programs in a number of ways.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I can't believe how disappointing Scifi HD is. I think so far I have seen a total of 2 shows in HD. Even movies, that should be shown in HD are shown letter-boxed inside SD pillars. Its so bad that I am hoping there is some issue with Cox getting the HD signals. I have noticed that when I was watching the small amount of HD content the logo said SciFiHD. All of the other times is just says SciFi.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Any one else having a problem getting PBS over the air?

The past few days I cannot seem to pull in 8.1, 8.2, or 8.3. I did try to auto program my tv but still not getting a signal. I also tried moving my indoor antenna but no luck with that either. I live in Maricopa.

·
Registered
370 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec50 /forum/post/16403907

PBS moved back to CH. 8 just like they said they were going to do. You have to re-scan to find and store the channels again.

So did they do away with the digital channel or move it?

I did do a channel re-scan. Cannot even pickup analog channel 8.

·
Registered
256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztony /forum/post/16403964

So did they do away with the digital channel or move it?

I did do a channel re-scan. Cannot even pickup analog channel 8.

There's no analog channel anymore. Where have you been?

·
Registered
17,275 Posts
If you're not able to receive the new channel 8 digital signal, then you might need to add a VHF antenna if you don't already have one. Some UHF antennas will handle upper VHF (7-13) without issue, but others just don't do well.

- Trip

·
Registered
370 Posts
Sorry, I didn't know they did away with their analog signal. I haven't been following the transition. I don't actually watch their analog channel. It's their digital channel I'm trying to find. So did they do away with 8.1? If so, where is their digital channel now?

·
Registered
256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztony /forum/post/16404015

Obviously watching analog channel 8

All the Phoenix upper VHF channels, 8, 10 and 12 have been broadcasting in digital on UHF for the last 10 years because there were no free VHF channels but they say it's too expensive to remain on UHF so they are moving back to the original VHF channels when the analog service goes away and the channels get freed up. So far Ch. 8 is the first one to cancel the analog channel and move back to the actual Ch. 8 on VHF. So 8.1 should be on 8 now and not UHF where it was before.

·
Registered
17,275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztony /forum/post/16404055

Sorry, I didn't know they did away with their analog signal. I haven't been following the transition. I don't actually watch their analog channel. It's their digital channel I'm trying to find. So did they do away with 8.1? If so, where is their digital channel now?

8-1 had been transmitting on channel 29. It is now on channel 8.

- Trip

·
Registered
370 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA /forum/post/16404033

If you're not able to receive the new channel 8 digital signal, then you might need to add a VHF antenna if you don't already have one. Some UHF antennas will handle upper VHF (7-13) without issue, but others just don't do well.

- Trip

I have never had a problem receiving any of the major local channels in HD or otherwise. Why, all of a sudden, I am not able to pickup channel 8 is beyond me. The antenna I use can be used outdoors but I never had a reason to put it on my roof.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Since KAET moved back to VHF the overall signal strength is much lower than the UHF channel that they were on before.

I have a USB DTV tuner and the mini antenna it has can't lock KAET's signal since the switch back to VHF.

·
Registered
17,275 Posts
The signal strength is not overall lower (or shouldn't be, anyway), the frequency is lower. The strength would be similar with a proper VHF antenna.

- Trip

7421 - 7440 of 11946 Posts